Groups

Best way of backing up family data at home

Had a fright last night with our family photos saved on a portable hard drive. The drive is a Seagate and around 6+ years old. This drive is only 250gb and was playing up. It was not working at first, then making quite loud noises. But has come back to life!
    So this has taught me a lesson to backup these pictures on this and other devices.
    In total I have...
    a 2Tb usb 3.0 Seagate which is full.(1 year old),
    a 250Gb usb 2.0 Seagate which is full. (6+ years old)
    around about another 250Gb on various devices like mobile phones, laptops etc.
    What is the best way of backing this lot up?
    I need to be able to buy a new drive or drives today in the shops.
    What about a nas, like a synology?
    Cloud service?
    Just a bigger portable hard drive?
    Cheers
    Richard

24 Comments

Safety in numbers, its not so much the device you use as methodology. A NAS will be handy for the house, but have a second portable drive you can back the NAS to every week and keep at work/friend/family for safe keeping. I'd also suggest an online backup, onedrive/Google drive/drop box etc for total peace of mind.

I have cloud drives and spare hdds for all my stuff, you could even pay for online storage, but I simply have a spare hdd for all my important data and then put it back in my cupboard after, once a week is fine or a month, just ask your self do you need the expense of a nas drive simply for data backup, if you were using it to store films and the stream to your TV then I would say yes,

Just thought I'd jump in here. I don't pretend to be an expert on this kind of thing but I find the WD outlet has some great hard drive back up deals. I personally like the 'my cloud' product line.. loads of options like the 6tb my personal my cloud for £139..also do good deals on nas/twin bay drives. WD outlet link
    Edited by: "nokiafusion" 28th Jan

Yea bang it all online for the whole world to see your lovely holiday snaps.
    Sure who would what to steal your snaps anyway. Not as if they can use them to steal a picture stick it on a passport and clone your identity....

Simple safe answer... NAS drive at home. Or buy a SSD and back it up

As others have said, it would be good to have multiple backups, and especially an off site one. I always think of the worst if anything should happens to the house, e.g. flood, fire or burglary, the family videos and photos are irreplaceable.
    If you have Amazon Prime, I think you have unlimited photo storage but there is a file size limit (correct me if I'm wrong) of 4gb per file, so any videos over that will not work.

I have subscribed to Office 365 for the family, that includes Office, 1tb of cloud storage per license (you get 5), then I used Acronis True Image to do daily incremental backup.

Depends what you want to spend, a second, maybe 4gb, hard drive, cloud based is dependent on your ISP upload speed and willingness to pay for storage.
    I think may be worth running a scan for duplicates as can save significant space

Personal setup: Synology NAS that's in use for all my photos, and music/video media server. 2 drives set in RAID for redundancy in case of HDD failure and then I use Amazon glacier which costs my about 79p / month for 120+ GB of photographs (you'll pay more to download them if needed)

Original Poster

The 2Tb is full of films, the 500Gb or so family pictures.
    Just getting a bigger drive to house it all is easiest but will need more storage later.
    My movie drive is full, 502mb left.
    The nas option normally come drive free and purchase the drives separate. Any recommendations?
    or a 5Tb Seagate from Argos?

Original Poster

EDEN188

As others have said, it would be good to have multiple backups, and … As others have said, it would be good to have multiple backups, and especially an off site one. I always think of the worst if anything should happens to the house, e.g. flood, fire or burglary, the family videos and photos are irreplaceable.If you have Amazon Prime, I think you have unlimited photo storage but there is a file size limit (correct me if I'm wrong) of 4gb per file, so any videos over that will not work.I have subscribed to Office 365 for the family, that includes Office, 1tb of cloud storage per license (you get 5), then I used Acronis True Image to do daily incremental backup.

​This is interesting as I have Amazon prime

personally I use a NAS box with RAID which basically has 2 bays for a disk each which automatically copies from disk 1 to disk 2 should one of the disks stop working. QNAP build some brilliant NAS boxes with loads additional features like home security recording. please take time to choose the correct disk and look at the speed of each. hope this helps

personally I use a NAS box with RAID which basically has 2 bays for a disk each which automatically copies from disk 1 to disk 2 should one of the disks stop working. QNAP build some brilliant NAS boxes with loads additional features like home security recording. please take time to choose the correct disk and look at the speed of each. hope this helps

Original Poster

Cozworth806

Depends what you want to spend, a second, maybe 4gb, hard drive, cloud … Depends what you want to spend, a second, maybe 4gb, hard drive, cloud based is dependent on your ISP upload speed and willingness to pay for storage.I think may be worth running a scan for duplicates as can save significant space

​I would spend upto £250.
    I have virgin 200mb connection.
    How do you scan for duplicates as I think you would be right there?

Original Poster

Ok, a nas box is sounding good. Are they plug and play?
    Need to collect from a store today, what about maplin or, dare I say it, PC world?
    I love going into PC world as the sales people are clueless, asking really awkward questions is entertaining.
    Edited by: "richardthompson79" 28th Jan

richardthompson79

The 2Tb is full of films, the 500Gb or so family pictures.Just getting a … The 2Tb is full of films, the 500Gb or so family pictures.Just getting a bigger drive to house it all is easiest but will need more storage later.My movie drive is full, 502mb left.The nas option normally come drive free and purchase the drives separate. Any recommendations?or a 5Tb Seagate from Argos?

If a 500GB is full of pictures that's about a quarter of a million pictures. You sure that's right?

Original Poster

MIDURIX

If a 500GB is full of pictures that's about a quarter of a million … If a 500GB is full of pictures that's about a quarter of a million pictures. You sure that's right?

​When I say pictures, that includes a few videos using mobile phones/digital cameras

Original Poster

Wow the price of a reasonable nas is ridiculous

8tb mirror dual disk cloud £179 delivered..
    click here

Original Poster

nokiafusion

8tb mirror dual disk cloud £179 delivered..click here

Good price,​ recertified is safe to use?

I use a NAS and this backs up regularly to both the cloud and a secondary NAS in my folks house. Safety in numbers.

prash_2k

Yea bang it all online for the whole world to see your lovely holiday … Yea bang it all online for the whole world to see your lovely holiday snaps. Sure who would what to steal your snaps anyway. Not as if they can use them to steal a picture stick it on a passport and clone your identity.... Simple safe answer... NAS drive at home. Or buy a SSD and back it up

​Can you give us a link to an example of when this has ever happened? Think your tinfoil hat has slipped a bit.

2 drive raid/ disk mirroring is only any good for increased read rates in a server. Also not a good idea to buy disk buddies i.e. two exact drives from the same batch, same age etc.
    Back up the files and copy them to 3 different devices that aren't linked to the same system.

Not only do you need to secure a copy but also the means to recover so although online is an option it's dependent on the connection and the speed of any connection. But make sure you use a proper backup system not just copying the data. Install at least 2 more drives, set the backup software to do daily copy to one drive and weekly copy to the other drive. That way you always have 3 copies but also perhaps once a year add another drive and keep that safe. Then if you need to find anything the index is there for each archive and you can go in pick what you need and restore it from backup drives.

I use Livedrive, it is the same as the one that Currys/Dixons sell with their own front end, absolutely great unlimited storage, £48 a year.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Got two Seagate 3Tb portable drives for £82 each discounted from pcworld to tide me over, till I find a suitable synology nas for a good price, in RAID 1 format.
    Edited by: "richardthompson79" 28th Jan
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. cats and royal canin biscuits914
      2. Electricity55
      3. Iptv918
      4. Wireless Earphones for Running56

See more discussions