Best way to buy/spend euros

Found 28th Aug 2017
Hi all
Off on holiday soon , where we are getting married . A lot of the people want paying in euros (photographer etc) - don't fancy carrying shit loads of euros , what's the best way to go about it.
I've seen pre pay cards but never used . Also seen barclaycard platinum travel credit card , but unsure what will get me best rates . Gonna be a few grand in €€€€ needed.
Any advice appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Forgot to say they actually want the cash not bank transfers
i have used a re loadable money card backed by cash passport and supplied by asda i can top it up in the currency booth in asda with the amount i want then i just use it as a chip and pin card just like any other bank card/ master card it is usually the same rates as their euros, someone might know of a better method but it works for me and never had any issues. see here
Edited by: "ding" 29th Aug 2017
I always preload a Travelex Cash Passport card, you get a good rate loading it on line then can withdraw from ATMs when abroad . I believe the limit from ATMs is 500 Euro per day . No fees , no commission , no charges . I always prefer withdrawing local currency and spending the cash when abroad , no chance of getting fleeced that way , in effect just like travellers cheques used to be .

Just checked ,you can no longer purchase a "Cash Passport card " from Travelex - its now called a "Money Card " but appears similar travelex.co.uk/tra…ard . You could check it out and see if its suitable -I haven't checked if the T&Cs are the same as the cash passport card I use .
Edited by: "rogparki" 29th Aug 2017
My son used a Revolut card and was getting a great rate

Revolut
Edited by: "daletharper" 29th Aug 2017
daletharper24 m ago

My son used a Revolut card and was getting a great rate Revolut

I use revolut whenever I travel europe but since everyone wants paying cash it might not be best, there is a small fee for cash withdrawals (£200 free per month)

there are other cards with no fee, check out moneysupermarket or whatever for a list of the cards and find the best one for you

I stick with revolut cause I never carry cash at home or on holiday so it is perfect
daletharper25 m ago

My son used a Revolut card and was getting a great rate Revolut

Max free ATM withdrawal £200 equivalent per month -2% fee above this -but good exchange rates .
Buy them from a travel agent

Spend them in shops

Hope this helps.
Between Monzo and Revoult however revoult you have to pay for a phyical card wheres Monzo its free. The exchange rates between them are identical and the best you are going to get anywhere else. Monzo uses mastercard whole sale (can check current rates here):

mastercard.us/en-…tml

YOu can skip the queue with a golden ticket:

monzo.com/mon…rt/

However there is a £1000 monthly limit but you can raise it by going through a validation process.
Edited by: "darthbacca37" 29th Aug 2017
murtgurge9 h, 10 m ago

I use revolut whenever I travel europe but since everyone wants paying …I use revolut whenever I travel europe but since everyone wants paying cash it might not be best, there is a small fee for cash withdrawals (£200 free per month)there are other cards with no fee, check out moneysupermarket or whatever for a list of the cards and find the best one for youI stick with revolut cause I never carry cash at home or on holiday so it is perfect

That fee is still smaller than any overheads
Thanks everyone for the comments .looks like travelex should be ok thanks
Graham197918 h, 2 m ago

Buy them from a travel agentSpend them in shopsHope this helps.

someone obviously can't read, eh cupcake?
adamspencer952 h, 24 m ago

someone obviously can't read, eh cupcake?

Or obviously doesn't care, do you really need people on here to tell you basic information? Only if a company called Google had a website where you could search for information.
Graham197929th Aug

Or obviously doesn't care, do you really need people on here to tell you …Or obviously doesn't care, do you really need people on here to tell you basic information? Only if a company called Google had a website where you could search for information.

If you don't care why comment ? Anyway I'm well aware of search engines but opinions from helpful people who have used the various cards was what I was after .
Cheers for your great assistance
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants