Best way to change IP address?

Found 17th Jul 2012
I'm using sky, is the IP adress static or would it change if I reset the router?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
17 Comments

I think Sky only do dynamic, so it could well change when you reset your router.
If you need 'static', get DYDNS.

Banned

for what?

Go in to your router and look for your MAC addy then change the last number or letter,reset your router.

http://www.hotspotshield.com/

Works a treat

casparwhite

for what?

Some download sites like Rapidshare etc allow free downloads to files but only 1 per hour. The idea is you have to pay Rapidshare to enable multiple fast downloads. But to get round paying and you dont mind the slower speed you can change your IP address and appear to be someone else and download one straight after the other saving the long wait.

Banned

FLOBADOB

Some download sites like Rapidshare etc allow free downloads to files but … Some download sites like Rapidshare etc allow free downloads to files but only 1 per hour. The idea is you have to pay Rapidshare to enable multiple fast downloads. But to get round paying and you dont mind the slower speed you can change your IP address and appear to be someone else and download one straight after the other saving the long wait.

dont they twig if its within the same ip address range?

get a vpn for 2/3 quid a month, job done

Chances are a straight reboot of the router will result in the same IP being picked back up. If it was off for a while, maybe a day or so, it will probably pick up a different one. It's because the leases last for a period of time. Another possability is to see if the router can "release" the IP then there should be an option to then "renew" that may still give you the same IP though.

casparwhite

dont they twig if its within the same ip address range?get a vpn for 2/3 … dont they twig if its within the same ip address range?get a vpn for 2/3 quid a month, job done

my link does it for free

Banned

EastLondon

my link does it for free

yes but full of advertisements, some of us dont mind paying a minimal amount to be rid of them plus you also get the option to choose where you want your ip address to come from for geolocked sites

casparwhite

yes but full of advertisements, some of us dont mind paying a minimal … yes but full of advertisements, some of us dont mind paying a minimal amount to be rid of them plus you also get the option to choose where you want your ip address to come from for geolocked sites

Fair point

EastLondon

http://www.hotspotshield.com/Works a treat

But gives you a US IP address, which can be problematic for some services. ExPat Shield does the same as Hotspot Shield but gives you a UK IP address. Useful if you are abroad and want to keep up with the BBC.

CyDoNiA

Chances are a straight reboot of the router will result in the same IP … Chances are a straight reboot of the router will result in the same IP being picked back up.

Used to use these sites a lot and with Plusnet all I did was reset my modem via the software and 20secs later I got a new IP address and could continue downloading. When I used HideIP this rarely worked for some reason even though I selected an alternative location.

Banned

just reboot the router. it's easy with ADSL.

it took me a while longer to find out how to change IP on virgin

kunyk

just reboot the router. it's easy with ADSL.it took me a while longer to … just reboot the router. it's easy with ADSL.it took me a while longer to find out how to change IP on virgin

If U are on Sky, rebooting router does not help. U get same IP address.

Banned

Rimi

If U are on Sky, rebooting router does not help. U get same IP address.

ipconfig/release
ipconfig/renew

then

kunyk

ipconfig/releaseipconfig/renewthen

Sky has changed from PPPoE to MER (MAC Encapsulated Routing ) and nothing helps to change IP since then.

kunyk

ipconfig/releaseipconfig/renewthen

Lol, good luck with that changing your ISP issued IP address
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions