Best way to clean a BBQ grill?

Found 5th Jul
Anyone got any top tips for how to clean a bbq grill?
I always seem to take about 3 hours scrubbing the thing clean, and as it's a large'ish grill/rack it does'nt fit in the sink very well. So if anyone knows of any products or brilliant ideas to clean it easily and quickly it would be much appreciated.
Community Updates
AskGarden
Top comments
I just heat it up to burn the rubbish off, scrub it and then give it a wash. Hasn't killed me yet...
22 Comments
You can buy barbecue cleaning kits, like the oven ones, with large plastic bags and caustic solution. You put your grill and anything else you want to clean in there, pour in the caustic solution, tie the bag, give it a shake so it's all coated and leave it for an hour or two. They sell these kits in pound land, poundstretchers and also seen them in Wilkos I believe.
That sounds great, iv'e never seen them before i always just look for a spray on type product, but this makes perfect sense.
Thank you, i'll keep an eye out next time i venture into town.
Another way is to get a large drip tray or thick poly bag that the grill will fit in . Then cover the grill with oven cleaning stuff (careful its an acid ! ) leave for a few hours and it should just wipe clean .
Edited by: "rogparki" 5th Jul
Oven pride is a good one, it isn't caustic and comes with a huge bag to put the grill in. Pour it in, seal the bag with the grill inside and wait. Then rinse off. It's about £4 ish.
I just heat it up to burn the rubbish off, scrub it and then give it a wash. Hasn't killed me yet...
miikeyblue25 m ago

I just heat it up to burn the rubbish off, scrub it and then give it a …I just heat it up to burn the rubbish off, scrub it and then give it a wash. Hasn't killed me yet...

Would also agree with that . I've never been too bothered about the total cleanliness of the grill (especially on a cheapish BBQ ) . You could just scrub off the big bits with a wire brush - the intense heat of the bbq will kill off any nasties lurking there when you fire it up the next time .
Edited by: "rogparki" 5th Jul
Or how about a great game for the kids ? Put the kids and the grill in a paddling pool (preferably without the caustic solution) Give them a brillo pad apiece , then when the grill is spotless an ice cream is the reward
miikeyblue37 m ago

I just heat it up to burn the rubbish off, scrub it and then give it a …I just heat it up to burn the rubbish off, scrub it and then give it a wash. Hasn't killed me yet...

Agree - bought myself one of these ebay.co.uk/itm…eG5 last year and still going strong. Give it a quick clean at end of cooking then a thorough scrape when hot before putting meat on at the beginning of the next cook.
rogparki24 m ago

Or how about a great game for the kids ? Put the kids and the grill …Or how about a great game for the kids ? Put the kids and the grill in a paddling pool (preferably without the caustic solution) Give them a brillo pad apiece , then when the grill is spotless an ice cream is the reward

Yea, but then you've gotta clean the paddling pool... It's a vicious circle.
miikeyblue1 m ago

Yea, but then you've gotta clean the paddling pool... It's a vicious …Yea, but then you've gotta clean the paddling pool... It's a vicious circle.

Good Point !
miikeyblue4 h, 11 m ago

I was with you up to heat it up...
I have a wire brush and clean most of the gunk off while its still warm. After that just try and fit half in the sink and switch to clean the other side. I have thrown it in the shower once

I like the oven pride bags, but you still have to clean the solution off somehow- so tend to be back to square one with fitting it in the sink.
Thanks everyone for all the ideas and suggestions, I think I'm going to try the oven pride bag type things and then just rinse everything off in the garden with a hosepipe.
We've been using Cif BBQ cleaner which comes in a spray bottle. It's £1.99 a bottle in Home Bargains and a bottle lasts a good few cleans. It foams and dissolves grease which you then wipe away with kitchen roll then a damp cloth.
My Weber bbq book says don't clean it after use, just heat it when you do the next one then use a wire brush. That's all we do and it's fine.
dcx_badass46 m ago

My Weber bbq book says don't clean it after use, just heat it when you do …My Weber bbq book says don't clean it after use, just heat it when you do the next one then use a wire brush. That's all we do and it's fine.

I totally agree with that, that’s what I have been doing for years. I just wash it once a year at the end of summer when I put it away for the winter.
rogparki7 h, 50 m ago

Good Point !

rogparki8 h, 16 m ago

Or how about a great game for the kids ? Put the kids and the grill …Or how about a great game for the kids ? Put the kids and the grill in a paddling pool (preferably without the caustic solution) Give them a brillo pad apiece , then when the grill is spotless an ice cream is the reward

And clean the kids, easier to clean th grill.m Oven Pride from Quality save. Put the grill in the bag then pour the whole bottle in the bag. Leave overnight.
rogparki9 h, 22 m ago

Would also agree with that . I've never been too bothered about the total …Would also agree with that . I've never been too bothered about the total cleanliness of the grill (especially on a cheapish BBQ ) . You could just scrub off the big bits with a wire brush - the intense heat of the bbq will kill off any nasties lurking there when you fire it up the next time .

This is exactly what I do and usually get the bbq wire brush ones from Poundland for this.
Try to avoid nasty chemicals, just give it a quick wipe down after use, then use some spray oil on the grills. Next time you use it the oil will have penetrated the cooked on residue so easy to brush down (do this over your wheely bin).
Alternatively just burn it off as others have said.
I’ve had my gas bbq for >10 years and apart from replacing the burner it’s still in A1 condition. At the end of the “season” I use an old chisel to scrape off all the old food residue and then hoover it all out (put tape over inside the nozzle to stop it getting dirty).
Nice
As a lot of people have already said, get one of those wire brush things. The heat/flames will do the rest. If I want to have chemicals in my system, I'll eat burgers....oh, hold on.....
The astonish stuff you get from B&M/home bargains etc is good and its cheap.

I usually just burn and scrape it off
dcx_badass5th Jul

My Weber bbq book says don't clean it after use, just heat it when you do …My Weber bbq book says don't clean it after use, just heat it when you do the next one then use a wire brush. That's all we do and it's fine.

It's a Weber one touch BBQ that I have although I lost the books and paperwork that came with it years ago, the actual BBQ has sat outside for at least ten years but still looks brand new it's just cleaning the grill is a pain in the perverbial!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions