Best way to cook Gammon?

Found 16th Dec 2013
I have somehow found myself with the task of cooking 2kg of Gammon for Christmas Dinner. Any suggestions how?

I have read about Nigella's 'coke' recipe but somehow can't take it seriously!
Community Updates
Misc
25 Comments
Aren't you meant to steam gammon?
Original Poster
Caught a white ornamental writing this post. Perhaps I can cook that for dinner?
Tried the coke recipe and it really works surprisingly enough!
That coke recipe is a very good idea actually. I think the idea comes from the USA.(shock horror)

Other than that I find the BBC website good for recipes. Just type in gammon and Bob's your uncle
A lot of people I know have tried the coke recipe never fancied it myself lol
Steaming gammon is awesome. Makes it so moreish and hard to resist.
PLEASE take it seriously! Years ago up at my mum's we saw her making it and laughed. But my mum had a big ham and we decided to give it a go. Neither of us cook them any other way now! Juicy, sweet, tasty and the crispy edge with the brown sugar, mustard, black treacle and cloves is just gorgeous. Even if I can't be bothered to do the last bit for an everyday dinner, it's still lovely just cooked in the coke. I make gravy with a bit of the cooking liquid too.

I also tried making schweppes lemonade ham once and it was delicious! Just make sure you use the sugary version, not diet.

nigella.com/rec…171
Edited by: "therealslimkaty" 16th Dec 2013
Boil in coke (full fat NOT diet) then stud with cloves and smear with treacle mustard and roast in oven briefly. Follow Nigella's recipe. Although I do wonder what coke she meant to boil it in thinking about it....
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies - and so quickly too! Might go with the coke recipe but does it make the gammon too sweet?
Banned
Cook the blighter in water - stop messimg around and search onlne for AGa recipeis. Otherwise rast it. I sthis post fopr real?
eggman

Cook the blighter in water - stop messimg around and search onlne for AGa … Cook the blighter in water - stop messimg around and search onlne for AGa recipeis. Otherwise rast it. I sthis post fopr real?

I think youve had too much eggnog mate
eggman

Cook the blighter in water - stop messimg around and search onlne for AGa … Cook the blighter in water - stop messimg around and search onlne for AGa recipeis. Otherwise rast it. I sthis post fopr real?

Are you for real? She has ever right to ask as loads of people have different ways to cook gammon. If you have nothing constructive to say then say nothing.
anna3805

Thanks for the replies - and so quickly too! Might go with the coke … Thanks for the replies - and so quickly too! Might go with the coke recipe but does it make the gammon too sweet?

No. I'm much more a savoury than sweet type of person, it just gives it a lovely flavour. Also, liquid can't penetrate the gammon very far. It's a great recipe because there is no faffing about and basting required. Just bung it in the coke, let it do its thing for a couple of hours then spread the stuff on the outside and blast in the oven for fifteen mins. The gravy IS sweet though, but nice and salty/smokey too if you use a smoked ham. But you can adjust how much of the cooking liquid you use, to suit yourself, and jsut make it with ham stock to top it up, or instead.
Edited by: "therealslimkaty" 16th Dec 2013
eggman

bit rude. I find it can be far too salty if you just roast it. Cooking it in liquid reduces the saltiness.
Banned
fern37

Steaming gammon is awesome. Makes it so moreish and hard to resist.

i cant stops thinking about yur steamy gammon fern
jack_dripper

i cant stops thinking about yur steamy gammon fern

Bad boy, dirty boy, in your bed! oO

http://replygif.net/thumbnail/132.gif
I put gammon in the slow cooker and cover it with dry cider, then wrap it it clingfilm (when cooled obviously) and thinly slice it. Maybe not fancy enough for Christmas though, to be honest. Do like the coke way but prefer the cider
Banned
karri123

I put gammon in the slow cooker and cover it with dry cider, then wrap it … I put gammon in the slow cooker and cover it with dry cider, then wrap it it clingfilm (when cooled obviously) and thinly slice it. Maybe not fancy enough for Christmas though, to be honest. Do like the coke way but prefer the cider

hiya kari u obvyously haven t read the confesion threads yet ?
jack_dripper

hiya kari u obvyously haven t read the confesion threads yet ?

Not really my thing to be honest, good girl like me got no business in a thread like that Why somebody go crazy on cider and get up to no good?
Never tried it in coke, only tried it in cherry coke. Wouldn't do it again.
Banned
karri123

Not really my thing to be honest, good girl like me got no business in a … Not really my thing to be honest, good girl like me got no business in a thread like that Why somebody go crazy on cider and get up to no good?

well i cud not live with myslves any longer

Your text here
jack_dripper

well i cud not live with myslves any longer :|Your text here

Aww, I actually did LOL at that-I knew you were trouble mr I forgive you, if only for the fact you were trying to do me a favour in the first place p.s. Don't cross me again though-got it?
I boil mine in watered down apple juice (half and half) then finish in the oven with a glaze. The glaze is usually whatever we have kicking around but usually marmalade, mustard and brown sugar.

I don't like studding it with cloves as it takes ages and I don't like the taste it imparts when it's cold.
Banned
if u do decides to boil yur gammon , keep the water an boil/steam yer vegetabls in it , gives them nice taste hhmmmm
Slow cooker with apple juice, Cider or white wine and water with some seasoning yum.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions