Best way to deal with trolls, anyone?

Posted 29th FebEdited by:"Magda111"
I'm thinking about deleting my account. I've started posting deals on here hoping that some may benefit from them. Instead (recently in particular) I get a user telling me to stop posting deals that are not environmentally friendly or smart alecks picking on semantics (use by date vs best before date etc). It's really frustrating. I thought this was a deal site and a deal is a deal. The "mute" button isn't great. How do you deal with "difficult" users?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Hi @Magda111
I've only just seen this (lone Mod chasing tail late on a Saturday) so apologies. The simple answer is to NEVER take the bait, don't reply, report the comment and let the Mods deal with it. If the Mods don't deal with it to your satisfaction (we don't always get things right, we are mere humans) then reply back with more insight and then beyond that, if it isn't dealt with to your satisfaction contact Admin hotukdeals.com/con…act
I can never promise everything will be deleted but if you escalate to Admin you will get an explanation. We'd never like to see people delete accounts (because of trolls). As long as you post something which is within hotukdeals site rules / guidelines then go for it. The voting sorts the the wheat from the chaff.
Ignore them, trolls will always be trolls some people are cowards and have sad little lives
chimp14uk29/02/2020 23:54

So no-one can have an opinion?If I reckon that you're deal is , I …So no-one can have an opinion?If I reckon that you're deal is , I will tell you that it's .

By all means, comment with an opinion, in a respectful manner. If you can't manage to do it respectfully then you do risk being infacted, suspended, issued with final warnings and then eventually banned from hotukdeals.
Can no-one post their own opinion on deals without being called trolls anymore?
47 Comments
Ignore them, trolls will always be trolls some people are cowards and have sad little lives
ding29/02/2020 21:39

Ignore them, trolls will always be trolls some people are cowards and have …Ignore them, trolls will always be trolls some people are cowards and have sad little lives

I do try my best. It feels like Chinese torture though.
Do not delete your account. The moderation is getting better & they are now starting to pick up on trends. Or so they told me.
Ignore them.... don’t feed them....
Willy_Wonka29/02/2020 21:50

Do not delete your account. The moderation is getting better & they are …Do not delete your account. The moderation is getting better & they are now starting to pick up on trends. Or so they told me.

Let's hope so. I don't mind people taking a Mickey but that's different from being a "short for Richard".
People who hate are normally the ones who hate themselves(lol) Shut them down and violate them back girl
Always best to ignore them, don't reply to them, just say to yourself "I don't know the person, am I really going to let something a stranger said ruin my day?". If the person is really bothering you then report them / their comments, but deleting your account is letting them win so I would suggest not doing that. You are welcome in this community
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 29th Feb
Safiyaaaaxo29/02/2020 21:58

People who hate are normally the ones who hate themselves(lol) Shut them …People who hate are normally the ones who hate themselves(lol) Shut them down and violate them back girl

That's an idea which puts lots of images into my head
The worst thing a troll hates more than anything is to be .... Ignored.
As above, ignore them. If they annoy you, mute the keyboard warriors! Don’t let it get you down. The main thing 100% of them want is a reaction from you
You're not the only one that gets hate
Many big posters get the same

You need thick skin, I'm not sure moderation can do much :/

I've been here a lot longer than my account states. I've seen a wee bit of nonsense over the years

So just carry on...

Ignore and keep up the good work
Edited by: "usernameinalid" 29th Feb
Can no-one post their own opinion on deals without being called trolls anymore?
chimp14uk29/02/2020 23:03

Can no-one post their own opinion on deals without being called trolls …Can no-one post their own opinion on deals without being called trolls anymore?

Not at all. It's not about that. We can all have an opinion as long as it's not offensive. What I have a problem with is people telling me what sort of deals I can or cannot post.
Hi @Magda111
I've only just seen this (lone Mod chasing tail late on a Saturday) so apologies. The simple answer is to NEVER take the bait, don't reply, report the comment and let the Mods deal with it. If the Mods don't deal with it to your satisfaction (we don't always get things right, we are mere humans) then reply back with more insight and then beyond that, if it isn't dealt with to your satisfaction contact Admin hotukdeals.com/con…act
I can never promise everything will be deleted but if you escalate to Admin you will get an explanation. We'd never like to see people delete accounts (because of trolls). As long as you post something which is within hotukdeals site rules / guidelines then go for it. The voting sorts the the wheat from the chaff.
I felt the same as you. I asked about home schooling a while ago and I got a load of abuse especially when auto correct on my phone spelt things differently and I was hounded by people telling me I was too thick as couldn't spell. Wasn't what I was looking for but felt so horrible and I started to think how young people feel on social media. I still carried on and the people who personal messages me with support restored my faith. Yes sounds like a sob story but hey we all have feelings and as an older women it did upset me. Just ignore honestly it's the best way x
andywedge29/02/2020 23:23

Hi @Magda111 I've only just seen this (lone Mod chasing tail late on a …Hi @Magda111 I've only just seen this (lone Mod chasing tail late on a Saturday) so apologies. The simple answer is to NEVER take the bait, don't reply, report the comment and let the Mods deal with it. If the Mods don't deal with it to your satisfaction (we don't always get things right, we are mere humans) then reply back with more insight and then beyond that, if it isn't dealt with to your satisfaction contact Admin https://www.hotukdeals.com/contactI can never promise everything will be deleted but if you escalate to Admin you will get an explanation. We'd never like to see people delete accounts (because of trolls). As long as you post something which is within hotukdeals site rules / guidelines then go for it. The voting sorts the the wheat from the chaff.

The problem that you have (I believe & have been told by HUKD) is that you have no permanent register of reporters. If you can develop that way of recording it would open your eyes of those that deliberately report just to get someone banned. I know for a fact that one user on here targets anyone who her takes a dislike to in attempt to get them banned. The reporting rate is there on your systems but I believe you cannot access it.
Fire
40017570-skGQ7.jpg
Wait until @splender sees this thread, he'll be salivating
40017588-WCTsl.jpg
I think if it's affecting your everyday life, maybe take a break from here for a short while you shouldn't have to, but, on the other hand, you don't want to be feeling down about peoples comments x
Magda11129/02/2020 23:14

Not at all. It's not about that. We can all have an opinion as long as …Not at all. It's not about that. We can all have an opinion as long as it's not offensive. What I have a problem with is people telling me what sort of deals I can or cannot post.

So no-one can have an opinion?

If I reckon that you're deal is , I will tell you that it's .

So no-one can have an opinion?If I reckon that you're deal is , I …So no-one can have an opinion?If I reckon that you're deal is , I will tell you that it's .

By all means, comment with an opinion, in a respectful manner. If you can't manage to do it respectfully then you do risk being infacted, suspended, issued with final warnings and then eventually banned from hotukdeals.

I said we CAN all have an opinion as long as it's not offensive. You can tell someone their deal is 'betty boo' without insulting them, can't you?
andywedge29/02/2020 23:58

By all means, comment with an opinion, in a respectful manner. If you …By all means, comment with an opinion, in a respectful manner. If you can't manage to do it respectfully then you do risk being infacted, suspended, issued with final warnings and then eventually banned from hotukdeals.

I understand what you're saying, but some comments are reported by snowflakes and are taken down by the mods.

Although I get that some things that are said have to be deleted, a lot of genuine posts are taken down which I feel is detrimental to the site.
This site is very strictly modded nowadays, very, so all you need to do is report and people disappear
Edited by: "snoopy18" 1st Mar
Tbh life is too short to get triggered over people's negative viewpoints on the Internet. Anyone can comment and some comments can be offensive to some people but not to others. They don't know the person behind the keyboard etc.. If it's personal then report the comment/s etc and I'm sure the mods will deal with it etc..

If you think you have found a deal and it hasn't already been posted then post it.
andywedge29/02/2020 23:58

By all means, comment with an opinion, in a respectful manner. If you …By all means, comment with an opinion, in a respectful manner. If you can't manage to do it respectfully then you do risk being infacted, suspended, issued with final warnings and then eventually banned from hotukdeals.

If you could look somehow at who reports the most on your site then you will solve 90% of your problems for the future. Even the users of your site know who this user is. It took me about 1 month to figure out who it is.
maccy1i29/02/2020 23:47

You said: "Wait until @splender sees this thread, he'll be salivating".
Can you provide non-anecdotal evidence that splender will indeed see this thread?
I will require links and references to at least 3 official sources which will verify this opinion.

In regards to salivating can you please provide the scientific analysis which will confirm the why, how and when of splender salivating. If it is just your opinion then I suggest we disregard said opinion until further scientific research can be taken to confirm or deny your comment.
Best way to deal with trolls. Like this. Same as car thieves

You’ve posted your deal if they don’t like it tough. Everyone has a different opinion on a deal, that’s just there’s it’s not trolling they just giving there opinions. Don’t take things to heart it’s a shopping site, if these people upset you on a website how do you manage in the real world?
Bargainhead01/03/2020 10:56

You’ve posted your deal if they don’t like it tough. Everyone has a dif …You’ve posted your deal if they don’t like it tough. Everyone has a different opinion on a deal, that’s just there’s it’s not trolling they just giving there opinions. Don’t take things to heart it’s a shopping site, if these people upset you on a website how do you manage in the real world?

I think it's because 99% of the time, these same people would NEVER say the things they say - in the way they do from behind a keyboard - to your face, in person. That's the issue. I always try to comment and speak to someone on a thread as if they were sat beside me. There are MANY times I type a sentence - only to then delete it as I put myself in the OP's 'shoes' and read it differently. Some don't have any 'restraint' and just crack on regardless...

You CAN have an opinion - and you can express it - but I think you can also deliver it in a polite way as constructive criticism - don't you think?
I saw this thread last night in bed. @maccy1i@Satan_Claws

I did make a start in bed finding facts to back up , You said, "..." but, you do the same.

Then I asked myself what is "trolling", what is an opinion in everyday living. There is no HOTUKD reference guide on what's trolling with good set examples from shopping threads, maybe there is, but I have not seen it yet.

I wouldn't write anymore on this thread, I shall leave by stating: I found evidence of "the kettle is calling the pot black", but I am not sure how good this evidence is as it is dependent on a definition of trolling versus valid/invalid opinion. What is tolerated as on topic and what is off topic.
As I had said before, but it depends on personal trait. I post a deal, if a minority takes a negative view, BUT, a majority warms to the deal, then I am OK with posting deals.
splender01/03/2020 11:47

I wouldn't write anymore on this thread, I shall leave by stating: I found …I wouldn't write anymore on this thread, I shall leave by stating: I found evidence of "the kettle is calling the pot black", but I am not sure how good this evidence is as it is dependent on a definition of trolling versus valid/invalid opinion. What is tolerated as on topic and what is off topic.

splender01/03/2020 11:52

As I had said before, but it depends on personal trait. I post a deal, if …As I had said before, but it depends on personal trait. I post a deal, if a minority takes a negative view, BUT, a majority warms to the deal, then I am OK with posting deals.

Bargainhead01/03/2020 10:56

You’ve posted your deal if they don’t like it tough. Everyone has a dif …You’ve posted your deal if they don’t like it tough. Everyone has a different opinion on a deal, that’s just there’s it’s not trolling they just giving there opinions. Don’t take things to heart it’s a shopping site, if these people upset you on a website how do you manage in the real world?

Like I said before it's not about other people having a different option. I do not consider that to be trolling. The offensive comments have already been removed by the mods. In the real world if someone is rubbing you up the wrong way, you just avoid them. Not many if them will stalk and target you, unlike here...
Phsycronix01/03/2020 11:41

I think it's because 99% of the time, these same people would NEVER say …I think it's because 99% of the time, these same people would NEVER say the things they say - in the way they do from behind a keyboard - to your face, in person. That's the issue. I always try to comment and speak to someone on a thread as if they were sat beside me. There are MANY times I type a sentence - only to then delete it as I put myself in the OP's 'shoes' and read it differently. Some don't have any 'restraint' and just crack on regardless...You CAN have an opinion - and you can express it - but I think you can also deliver it in a polite way as constructive criticism - don't you think?

I like the way you think, unfortunately I say what I like to peoples faces as well.

growing up my mother use to say never anything behind someone’s back you wouldn’t say to their face, well that back fired..
splender01/03/2020 11:47

I saw this thread last night in bed. @maccy1i @Satan_Claws I did make a …I saw this thread last night in bed. @maccy1i @Satan_Claws I did make a start in bed finding facts to back up , You said, "..." but, you do the same.Then I asked myself what is "trolling", what is an opinion in everyday living. There is no HOTUKD reference guide on what's trolling with good set examples from shopping threads, maybe there is, but I have not seen it yet.I wouldn't write anymore on this thread, I shall leave by stating: I found evidence of "the kettle is calling the pot black", but I am not sure how good this evidence is as it is dependent on a definition of trolling versus valid/invalid opinion. What is tolerated as on topic and what is off topic.

I don't consider taking a Mickey to be trolling, perhaps wrongly, perhaps not. I've never told anyone to stop posting deals I'm not interested in and followed around to carry on arguing. Neither have I picked on every comment an OP has made in a post just for the hell of it. I don't have an issue with someone correcting me but targeting is a bit different, don't you think? It's difficult to judge this retrospectively as the offensive comments have been deleted. Language is a very imperfect way of communicating due to its ambiguity. Different people interpret the same thing in different ways but using swearwords and terms of abuse takes the ambiguity out of it. But that's just what I think.
chimp14uk29/02/2020 23:03

Can no-one post their own opinion on deals without being called trolls …Can no-one post their own opinion on deals without being called trolls anymore?

I find this more and more on here also. You see a deal and vote hot - and offer an opinion on it, personal experience and so on, and its taken as trolling rather than perhaps useful insight. There's evidence of folk looking to start arguments most days and that tends to stop me posting now. If there's baiting then I don't take it and leave others to play if they wish.

A good example, not directed at me, was a disagreement I saw where one person's views were compared to being flat-earthers, moon-landing deniers and so on. The mods on here do a great job, but the standard of community has plummeted in recent months/years.
Magda11101/03/2020 12:21

I don't consider taking a Mickey to be trolling, perhaps wrongly, perhaps …I don't consider taking a Mickey to be trolling, perhaps wrongly, perhaps not. I've never told anyone to stop posting deals I'm not interested in and followed around to carry on arguing. Neither have I picked on every comment an OP has made in a post just for the hell of it. I don't have an issue with someone correcting me but targeting is a bit different, don't you think? It's difficult to judge this retrospectively as the offensive comments have been deleted. Language is a very imperfect way of communicating due to its ambiguity. Different people interpret the same thing in different ways but using swearwords and terms of abuse takes the ambiguity out of it. But that's just what I think.

Like I said, I wouldn't want to write any more on thread on what is trolling and what is not, as it is difficult to nail down...as different people have difference expectations, dislikes, likes and loyalities.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants