Expired

best way to dispose a nappy

Found 31st Mar 2011
I am looking for what is the best way of disposing a nappy at home and trying to get an idea of what all mum's/dad's do about it.

Please share you best idea/solution for disposing off nappies.

So far couple of things come's out of my mind

1. Nappy disposable system (Angelcare/Tomme Tippee/Other)
2. or Traditional way, disposing off in ASDA/Sainsbury/Tesco/Other carry bag.

44 Comments

Banned

feed them to the pigs.

Original Poster

DangerGod

feed them to the pigs.

lol, great sense of humour but unfortunately no pigs around

Banned

i cant really offer any sensible advice.. you could also ask in this thread though http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/ttc-pregnancy-and-baby-chat-recruit/410715

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

tbh at your age you should of grown out of them by now

I never asked whether you still using it, have I ? keep an eye on this thread might be useful for you

My sister uses the Tommee Tippee sangenic nappy disposal system and thinks it's great. There is no poopy smell in the little boy's room (where the disposal system is) so it obviously works.

Put it on a bus with a little card giving its destination and the correct bus fare.

Original Poster

DLM

No more … No more disposals:-[url=http://www.cottontails.co.uk/]http://www.cottontails.co.uk/[/url]

I think this is not going to work, for couple of reasons.

1. keeping stinky nappies for a week (and where?)
2. they are going to loan you nappies that means every time you get used (but washed) nappies, I think not hygienically good.

Wait till you empty these devices all that squashed saved up smell really hits the back of your throat.....oh happy days lol!xx

sickly sweet

My sister uses the Tommee Tippee sangenic nappy disposal system and … My sister uses the Tommee Tippee sangenic nappy disposal system and thinks it's great. There is no poopy smell in the little boy's room (where the disposal system is) so it obviously works.

bin:)

We used a Tomy Tipee nappie disposal system which was alright till the little ones went onto solids. Then hell no! It was plastic bags and straight into the outside bin.

Banned

mRActivate8

I think this is not going to work, for couple of reasons.1. keeping … I think this is not going to work, for couple of reasons.1. keeping stinky nappies for a week (and where?)2. they are going to loan you nappies that means every time you get used (but washed) nappies, I think not hygienically good.

We loan you a week's supply of pre-fold nappies and a sturdy Cottontails storage bin with heavy duty bin liner & deodoriser.

mRActivate8

I think this is not going to work, for couple of reasons.1. keeping … I think this is not going to work, for couple of reasons.1. keeping stinky nappies for a week (and where?)2. they are going to loan you nappies that means every time you get used (but washed) nappies, I think not hygienically good.

and the cost to launder them !!!!!!!!!!!

Prefold 100% Cotton Nappies
Packs of 6
Newborn (up to 15lbs)£10.50
Regular (15-35 lbs)£12.00
Large (27lbs+)£15.00

oO

X)

Original Poster

DLM

We loan you a week's supply of pre-fold nappies and a sturdy Cottontails … We loan you a week's supply of pre-fold nappies and a sturdy Cottontails storage bin with heavy duty bin liner & deodoriser.

Sounds interesting.. have you or anyone used this service before ? just checking how good/bad the service is and does it really works..

Original Poster

bossyboots

and the cost to launder them !!!!!!!!!!!Prefold 100% Cotton Nappies Packs … and the cost to launder them !!!!!!!!!!!Prefold 100% Cotton Nappies Packs of 6 Newborn (up to 15lbs)£10.50Regular (15-35 lbs)£12.00Large (27lbs+)£15.00oOX)

good point.. disposable comes cheap, specially if you wait for some good deal..

OP get in touch with your local council as they are big on recycling and being envromentally friendly - they will give you great advice on what to do

Original Poster

bossyboots

OP get in touch with your local council as they are big on recycling and … OP get in touch with your local council as they are big on recycling and being envromentally friendly - they will give you great advice on what to do

Nothing great from council though, just usual £30.00 cash to start using re-usable nappies..

mRActivate8

Nothing great from council though, just usual £30.00 cash to start using … Nothing great from council though, just usual £30.00 cash to start using re-usable nappies..

My neighbour used that service - they are really cute too and she saved a fortune.

Good luck with it - but dont go wasting your money on using a company to "launder" your nappies!!!!!! Am sure you wouldnt anyway................:)

Original Poster

My neighbour used that service - they are really cute too and she saved a … My neighbour used that service - they are really cute too and she saved a fortune.Good luck with it - but dont go wasting your money on using a company to "launder" your nappies!!!!!! Am sure you wouldnt anyway................:)

might give a try..

but using a laundrer oO no way.. its actually going to cost double the amount using disposable nappies..
Edited by: "mRActivate8" 31st Mar 2011

Original Poster

sickly sweet

My sister uses the Tommee Tippee sangenic nappy disposal system and … My sister uses the Tommee Tippee sangenic nappy disposal system and thinks it's great. There is no poopy smell in the little boy's room (where the disposal system is) so it obviously works.

thanks, will check for this one before I decide..

Surely most people wrap them up,pop it in a fragranced nappy bag and take it to the outside bins? Well thats what i did!

Use reusable, get most of what you can off with kitchen towel but don't make too much effort, and chuck em in the washing machine.

Or you can do what I once had neighbours do which is to use disposables and chuck used ones in our garden.

in a nappy bag and in the bin..a sangenic was good at first when they use 7 or so a day so empty frequently..and new baby poop doesnt smell bad...later they cannot contain the smell of a 1yr olds poops oO
if they council run a scheme it should be good value...but tbh its not rocket science using washables..just a bucket with solution and nappy liners so solids can be flushed away. Then soak and wash next day-simple and cheap.

You can buy flushable liners so you just shake the contents down the toilet. I used a laundry service for a while and they were excellent. Lovely clean nappies every week. I had twins and the cost was a little less than disposables but this was 9 years ago and disposables cost less now.

All mine have been in cotton nappies, Motherease one size birth to potty brand. I spent £150 on EVERYTHING I could possibly need from birth to fully potty trained and have gone through three babies with two more coming soon. Best buy ever. We shove everything in a bucket (lidded!) and every night rinse them off in the loo, and shove it all in the washer. Job done. Everything is line dried (we bought enough for twins the first time - so I've always had enough to allow them to dry naturally even in the winter). So I paid £150 (plus washing costs at one load per night, sometimes one load every second night when they are getting better at staying dry, or in the summertime when they totter about naked) and I expect them to last me for five babies. BIG saving in my book. They have a good resale value too, though I don't expect to sell mine after five babies, but I'll certainly freecycle them.

FrootCake

All mine have been in cotton nappies, Motherease one size birth to potty … All mine have been in cotton nappies, Motherease one size birth to potty brand. I spent £150 on EVERYTHING I could possibly need from birth to fully potty trained and have gone through three babies with two more coming soon. Best buy ever. We shove everything in a bucket (lidded!) and every night rinse them off in the loo, and shove it all in the washer. Job done. Everything is line dried (we bought enough for twins the first time - so I've always had enough to allow them to dry naturally even in the winter). So I paid £150 (plus washing costs at one load per night, sometimes one load every second night when they are getting better at staying dry, or in the summertime when they totter about naked) and I expect them to last me for five babies. BIG saving in my book. They have a good resale value too, though I don't expect to sell mine after five babies, but I'll certainly freecycle them.

excellent its all about routine! with my first i didnt have a washing machine and washed them by hand too..if you soak in something like napisan you can wash every two days in a machine as they wont smell.

Cloth nappies are def the way to go, both mine were in them. After the initial outlay that's it - they are way cheaper than disposables. No contest.
All I did was an extra wash every other night which costs pennies.
Think about how much you will actually spend on disposable nappies, wipes & plactic bags while your child is in nappies. Bet it comes to a lot more than £200.

Step 1 : locate roll of bin bags
Step 2 : take one bin bag off the roll
Step 3 : open the bin bag ( giving a little flick if needed to get the air in )
Step 4 : take nappy in one hand and bin bag in the other
Step 5 : drop nappy into bin bag
Step 6 : place bin bag in round bin outside and put the lid on
Step 7 : when it's bin day make sure to put the bag out for the bin men to take ;-)

Redfang55

Step 1 : locate roll of bin bagsStep 2 : take one bin bag off the … Step 1 : locate roll of bin bagsStep 2 : take one bin bag off the rollStep 3 : open the bin bag ( giving a little flick if needed to get the air in )Step 4 : take nappy in one hand and bin bag in the otherStep 5 : drop nappy into bin bagStep 6 : place bin bag in round bin outside and put the lid onStep 7 : when it's bin day make sure to put the bag out for the bin men to take ;-)

What? No diagrams?

Depends on your home setup I guess. We used a nappy bin for our first as we lived in an upper flat so the green bin was downstairs. However we now live in a house, so for our second have only ever used the normal kitchen bin for number 1s and the outside green bin for number 2s. The inside kitchen bin gets emptied daily anyway.

I liked the nappy bin, but begrudge paying for the cartridges.

cannyscot

What? No diagrams?

Nah they'd be a bit S%&$*Y

Can you just not bin them?

Surely it's only like when you pick dog crap up when your dog has curled one out on the pavement and pop it in your bin when you get back from the walk

Unless you are feeding the kid on greggs pasties and other processed crap and they have super toxic poo
Edited by: "boothy" 31st Mar 2011

i put mine in the outside bin

Banned

mRActivate8

might give a try..but using a laundrer oO no way.. its actually going … might give a try..but using a laundrer oO no way.. its actually going to cost double the amount using disposable nappies..

The one I quoted was recommended by my council and they do a free trial.
Edited by: "DLM" 31st Mar 2011

Original Poster

TUSSFC

Depends on your home setup I guess. We used a nappy bin for our first as … Depends on your home setup I guess. We used a nappy bin for our first as we lived in an upper flat so the green bin was downstairs. However we now live in a house, so for our second have only ever used the normal kitchen bin for number 1s and the outside green bin for number 2s. The inside kitchen bin gets emptied daily anyway.I liked the nappy bin, but begrudge paying for the cartridges.

Green bin for nappies? oO

Original Poster

plumberman01

in a nappy bag and in the bin..a sangenic was good at first when they use … in a nappy bag and in the bin..a sangenic was good at first when they use 7 or so a day so empty frequently..and new baby poop doesnt smell bad...later they cannot contain the smell of a 1yr olds poops oOif they council run a scheme it should be good value...but tbh its not rocket science using washables..just a bucket with solution and nappy liners so solids can be flushed away. Then soak and wash next day-simple and cheap.

That's what I thought so.. if you bin it @ home then smell is a concern.. so no no for nappy bin.. re-usable looks way to go...

Original Poster

Redfang55

Step 1 : locate roll of bin bagsStep 2 : take one bin bag off the … Step 1 : locate roll of bin bagsStep 2 : take one bin bag off the rollStep 3 : open the bin bag ( giving a little flick if needed to get the air in )Step 4 : take nappy in one hand and bin bag in the otherStep 5 : drop nappy into bin bagStep 6 : place bin bag in round bin outside and put the lid onStep 7 : when it's bin day make sure to put the bag out for the bin men to take ;-)

Quite like the idea @ Step 6 and to remember Step 7.. but to execute Step 6 you need a durable bin as this has to be kept outside

good stuff those who do the whole eco nappy thing......personally i just dont have the time/patience for it..but do applaud those who do (unless they are the mad preaching ones...then it ticks me off!)

the nappy bins dont work...after a while it STINKS....currently baby is 14months old and her poo is STINKY since she switched to soya milk and is now eating a lot more. put three bags on it...have a little lidded bin which i keep outside her room and then in the evening change the bin.

Well you could do what a lot of the vermin do, just chuck it out your window onto the nearest street/playing field.

Shengis

Well you could do what a lot of the vermin do, just chuck it out your … Well you could do what a lot of the vermin do, just chuck it out your window onto the nearest street/playing field.

OMG!! where u been!??!!
Post a comment
@
    Text