Best way to drive (route) from durham uk to murcia, ferry, euro tunnel, which is best?

Found 12th Nov 2012
Wondering if any of you could help.
We are planning on staying in murcia, Spain for a few months next year and want to take a small van with belongings and dog. We are from Newcastle way and wonder which way is the easiest and quickest. I don't like driving through mountains as I hate heights but is it easier to get a ferry to Santander and drive across Spain or easier to get the euro tunnel to France and drive down through France to murcia.

Any suggestions welcome and any tips or info we may need to know. Thank you all in advance
Community Updates
13 Comments
Plymouth or Portsmouth to Santander, then it's around 8 hours drive from Santander to Murcia.
quickest is the ferry to santander as that involves less driving.
we got the ferry to santander 2 years ago and drove down to costa del sol. you are talking about a very very long drive so make sure you book plenty of overnight stays en route.
realblender

Ask the dog which he prefers. I expect the eurotunnel is least traumatic

There's always one!! ;-)
cheaper to fly and hire a car!
op, if you book far enough in advance you can get a pet friendly cabin on the ferry where you can bring the dog into the cabin rather than leave him in the kennel.
csiman

cheaper to fly and hire a car!

It's not really as it costs £400 just for the dog one way on airline, plus our flights, transfers, car hire for 3 month!! Don't think so.
Santander or Bilbao is a good option to skip out France but its not a cheap route to use v cost of fuel if your not in a rush.

Euro Tunnel works well and its a great easy drive down...

Also, think about Hull to Zeebrugge if you want to limit the UK driving and break the trip up on the EU with a few stop overs.
aliandk

It's not really as it costs £400 just for the dog one way on airline, … It's not really as it costs £400 just for the dog one way on airline, plus our flights, transfers, car hire for 3 month!! Don't think so.

and only 1 suit case :-)
aliandk

It's not really as it costs £400 just for the dog one way on airline, … It's not really as it costs £400 just for the dog one way on airline, plus our flights, transfers, car hire for 3 month!! Don't think so.

not to mention plenty of airlines lose the dog as they do your luggage.
aliandk

Can the dog understand spanish, if not ask yourself is the dog gonna be happy....... maybe time to visit the local pound.
transit

Can the dog understand spanish, if not ask yourself is the dog gonna be … Can the dog understand spanish, if not ask yourself is the dog gonna be happy....... maybe time to visit the local pound.

The dog is currently undertaking Spanish lessons having ,already mastered Korean and Russian already!! Smart doggie!!
If you're considering the channel tunnel I sugest you also take a look at DFDS Seaways, I've travelled with them for years (used to be Norfolk line) on the Dunkirk-Dover route and they are likely to be far far cheaper than the tunnel especially if you travel at an offpeak time. Admitttedly you've got a slightly longer crossing time but it's worth it considering what you can save. I believe the cost of taking a pet is about 35 pounds (I presume that's only one way) but you're unlikely to find it any cheaper elsewhere.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions