Best way to get dogs to stop barking

Found 22nd Apr 2012
Our dogs are constantly barking sometimes at absolutely nothing and as soon as one starts so does the other in your opinions what is the best way to get them to stop

Heard of maybe a high frequency noise emitter does it work?

37 Comments

Banned

A bullet

the electric colar, works wonders, you may think it is cruel but we once had a yappy dog and the neighbours got more and more fed up with it, so we had to do something quickly, they work and work well and they soon learn, the downside is they are expensive

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

water pistol

Our dogs love water pistols wont do much good.

Aeschylus

the electric colar, works wonders, you may think it is cruel but we once … the electric colar, works wonders, you may think it is cruel but we once had a yappy dog and the neighbours got more and more fed up with it, so we had to do something quickly, they work and work well and they soon learn, the downside is they are expensive

I thought they were illegal in the UK

Banned

You need a bark nulifier. They've come down in size since they were first released a few years ago.
You sit them on a shelf or table in a room and hit the test button whilst your dog is barking. Once that tone and pitch is saved, every time the dog barks, an 'anti bark' is transmitted from the device that nullifies it, thus making your dog silent.

I think they're around £20 from amazon.
Edited by: "JonnyTwoToes" 22nd Apr 2012

Original Poster

HUKDeLITE

A bullet

Weve just had new floors and carpets put down but creative thinking

Original Poster

JonnyTwoToes

You need a bark nulifier. They've come down in size since they were … You need a bark nulifier. They've come down in size since they were first released a few years ago.You sit them on a shelf or table in a room and hit the test button whilst your dog is barking. Once that tone and pitch is saved, every time the dark barks, an 'anti bark' is transmitted from the device that nullifies it, thus making your dog silent.I think they're around £20 from amazon.

Ahh this is more what we were thinking. Just wasn't sure what they were called or how good they were

castration ?

If in doubt http://www.duckbrand.com/images/duck_logo.png it

no they sell the electric ones on Amazon, they are a lot cheaper now, but you must be prepared to be hard, watching your dog in distress to start with can be hard, but they work and work quickly, if everytime you spoke someone punched you on the nose, how long would it take for you to stop talking

here was one review of one of the strong static shock collars, as I said you have to be prepared for pain in your dog

the first time the collar was set off when he barked my dog ,max, screeched in shock and pain.so this is a cruel method. Not only did he shreek but actually poo'd on the floor while the shocks were happening. Therefore i recommend u not to buy this product and to buy a smaller, dantia looking one that is more comfortable and may have a switch to turn off the shocks...

You dont have to listen to my review... it is just a personal response however the pain, and unfairness ur putting ur dog through is not great, so im not saying dont get a bark collar... im saying dont get this bark collar...

JonnyTwoToes

You need a bark nulifier. They've come down in size since they were first … You need a bark nulifier. They've come down in size since they were first released a few years ago.You sit them on a shelf or table in a room and hit the test button whilst your dog is barking. Once that tone and pitch is saved, every time the dog barks, an 'anti bark' is transmitted from the device that nullifies it, thus making your dog silent.I think they're around £20 from amazon.

Nice one JTT. My elderly neighbour has a dog that drives me nuts. But until now I havent had the heart to report her and I cant understand a word the mad old mare says so no point talking to her about it! lol
I may suggest one of these to her/a visitor/counsel.

Do you mean something like number 4 or 7 on following link?

Amazon anti dog barking

here it is amazon.co.uk/Dog…top

all the bad reviews are from people who believe these are cruel and they are but work better than anything else, as I said we had no choice, we had been out one evening and our dog had barked the whole night, we we got back in at 3am our neighbour looked ready to kill someone,,,,

worked in 3 days on ours, when I next saw my neighbour he though we had put our dog down.... that is how good they are
Edited by: "Aeschylus" 22nd Apr 2012

Original Poster

Ill have a look. at all the suggestions thanks all. I do understand its cruel but its beyong a joke the dogs go mad at like 3am and dont pipe down for 10 minutes

Banned

whatsThePoint

water pistol

Aeschylus

the electric colar, works wonders, you may think it is cruel but we once … the electric colar, works wonders, you may think it is cruel but we once had a yappy dog and the neighbours got more and more fed up with it, so we had to do something quickly, they work and work well and they soon learn, the downside is they are expensive

Just illegal in Wales for now.

Aeschylus

here it is … here it is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dog-Training-Adjustable-Sensitivity-Control/dp/B003XZYFUA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_topall the bad reviews are from people who believe these are cruel and they are but work better than anything else, as I said we had no choice, we had been out one evening and our dog had barked the whole night, we we got back in at 3am our neighbour looked ready to kill someone,,,,worked in 3 days on ours, when I next saw my neighbour he though we had put our dog down.... that is how good they are

Nice one, I may also recommend this for my neighbour. Her dog barks incessantly, and I mean literally incessantly for 3 hours at a time, at least 5 times a week. (maximum 10 second gap between barks the whole time, no exaggeration). No matter what room I go in I can hear it with windows and doors closed and tv or similar noise on!
I dont want her to have to lose her companion, but I cannot take much more of it

Banned

Oh FFS!

A sausage loaded with paracetamol normally does the trick

The only time my dogs bark is when someone is at the door. Great thing they do because I don't think I would know someones there without them.

One dog does all the barking but when he doesn't hear the door or he's in the garden our other dog barks, usually she doesn't

Have a look at some old 'It's me or the dog' tv shows, some great tips from her. Managed to get my old pooch to stop barking at other dogs with distraction techniques (treats and lots of praise).

Good luck

I wont dispute with time and energy all dogs can be trained not to bark, but people dont realise how annoying a barking dog is, esp if you have young kids..

many years ago we lived in a bit of a down trodden area, there was a guy about 6 doors down who kept a dog outside in a run area 24 hours a day, all this dog did was bark all day and night, one of my neighbours who was a very pleasent chap with 2 young children had tried everything to get this guy to stop his dog from barking, he was always noaning it was waking the kids up through the night... anyway one night I heard a commotion and about 20 mins later the Police and it transpired he had in the middle of the night snapped got his shovel jump over the gardens into this guys garden and battered his dog to death!!!

once the barking starts to cause sleep deprivation you have to do something

Jiggle RS on controller when it tells you to.

Aeschylus

buy a smaller, dantia looking one that is more comfortable and may have a … buy a smaller, dantia looking one that is more comfortable and may have a switch to turn off the shocks...

What does dantia mean?

Ya kno, dantia..innit

Teach the dog to bark on command then once it has that down you can teach it to shut up on command.

Also never shout at the dog for barking as he doesn't understand and just hears you making load noises with your face hole. Clapping loudly can make him pause but a proper command is better.

Can I please urge you NOT to use a shock collar. They are barbaric and cruel, why on earth would you want to hurt a dog for protecting its territory. Google barking dogs and there are lots of techniques such as giving treats and rewarding them as soon as they go quiet. Rewarding dogs for good behaviour is much more effective for training- can you imagine giving a child an electric shock each time they did something you disapproved of? Anyone who loves their dog would NEVER use one of these

claretsumo

Can I please urge you NOT to use a shock collar. They are barbaric and … Can I please urge you NOT to use a shock collar. They are barbaric and cruel, why on earth would you want to hurt a dog for protecting its territory. Google barking dogs and there are lots of techniques such as giving treats and rewarding them as soon as they go quiet. Rewarding dogs for good behaviour is much more effective for training- can you imagine giving a child an electric shock each time they did something you disapproved of? Anyone who loves their dog would NEVER use one of these

I agree with this

Banned

claretsumo

Can I please urge you NOT to use a shock collar. They are barbaric and … Can I please urge you NOT to use a shock collar. They are barbaric and cruel, why on earth would you want to hurt a dog for protecting its territory. Google barking dogs and there are lots of techniques such as giving treats and rewarding them as soon as they go quiet. Rewarding dogs for good behaviour is much more effective for training- can you imagine giving a child an electric shock each time they did something you disapproved of? Anyone who loves their dog would NEVER use one of these

+1

Why have dogs if you have to subject them to cruel pain.
I personally think these products are sick.

Let them bark. It's natural for them and must be karma for you!

I'm so glad I don't live near you.

claretsumo

Well said. That collar is horrific

Foxy102

Let them bark. It's natural for them and must be karma for you!

If you own a dog you have a responsibility to make sure they do not cause a nuisance to others. Sadly many owners ignore this part of owning a pet.

whatsThePoint

water pistol

Aeschylus

I believe they are illegal in Wales, but ok in the rest of the UK

The moment you think that one of them is about to bark/just starts to bark, make a very loud 'Ak, ak' noise at them - like pretending to be a machine gun. Do this every time they think about barking and they will get the message.
If they have already started barking, stand in front of them and cross your arms, then turn your back on them, so that it is clear that you disapprove.
Or try Victoria's removal technique.
animal.discovery.com/vid…tml
Edited by: "chesso" 23rd Apr 2012

http://www.mincedmp.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/o_PUMP-ACTION-AIRSOFT-SHOTGUN-103546.jpg

Original Poster

Thanks for all tour suggestions. I will give the emmiter a a try. Were not so keen on the shock collar. and for what its worth I didnt want the dogs but my paretns did so couldnt argye. I am not much of an animal fan but would never deliberatley hurt one

You can get collars which emit water sprays and high pitched noises when a dog barks which I have heard can work and are considered a good alternative to the electric shock collars (which I think are illegal?).

Original Poster

sickly sweet

You can get collars which emit water sprays and high pitched noises when … You can get collars which emit water sprays and high pitched noises when a dog barks which I have heard can work and are considered a good alternative to the electric shock collars (which I think are illegal?).

we were looking at these too
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants