Expired

Best way to get retention deal with Virgin media

Found 17th Nov 2014
Just was chatting to a lady on the chat on virgin media as wanted to find out when my contract was up as we are paying a fair amount but feel we could get more for our money.

We were going back and forth asking questions about what I wanted in terms of the services etc but after a while she said their systems had crashed and she would have to call me back.

Wondered what anyone had in terms of packages they currently have and if they had any tips on what to ask for etc when they call?

I currently have XL TV, L Broadband, an additional box, and the standard telephone line and rental and its about £67 a month for it all.

I additionally want Sky sports as well

21 Comments

I think it depends on your deal.
I have TiVo plus two other HD boxes, XL TV, 50mb BB, evenings and weekends something or other, 08 something for around £80.00 and everytime I push them by threatening to test the market they won't budge.
I'd never join Murdoch but a comparison I did like for like with Sky was within £0.50.

Original Poster

We have the phone but we don't even have a landline in the home but it was apparently cheaper to have it on the package than not

The retention deals aren't as competitive as they used to be. I had to give 30 days notice before anything even half decent was offered. So give 30 days notice and wait for the phone call.

I get XXL Broadband, XL TV, and M Telephone. Have 1x1TB Tivo and 2xAdditional tv boxes. Total price per month is £39.

However my parents have been with Virgin for over 10 years, and they get an awful deal. I phoned Virgin on their behalf yesterday, and the lady said that they cannot match my current deal for my parents, even though they have been with them for over 10 years, and I joined as a new customer. Quite shocking really. So I started the 30 day cancellation period and hoping to get my parents a good deal through Sky.

Original Poster

allsa001

I get XXL Broadband, XL TV, and M Telephone. Have 1x1TB Tivo and … I get XXL Broadband, XL TV, and M Telephone. Have 1x1TB Tivo and 2xAdditional tv boxes. Total price per month is £39.However my parents have been with Virgin for over 10 years, and they get an awful deal. I phoned Virgin on their behalf yesterday, and the lady said that they cannot match my current deal for my parents, even though they have been with them for over 10 years, and I joined as a new customer. Quite shocking really. So I started the 30 day cancellation period and hoping to get my parents a good deal through Sky.

That's pretty much what I have but i'm paying a lot more for mine!

I have
TV XL
100 MB internet
Talk unlimited
Tivo box
Additional V+ HD box

costs £60.75 + £15.99 a month!!!

Never been given a deal, been with virgin 5 years

To get the best deal you have to be prepared to put your 30 days notice in, last time i haggled i had to do this got a call back next working day my contract has just finished but i was paying £72 for XL TV, L BB, Tivo, V+hd box upstairs, standard phone, sports,movies, extra HD channels.
but you always need to have a back up plan as if they dont ring/offer you something your happy with you may need to move to sky/bt ect ect

Im actually going to ring them when i get home from work & see what i can get but as im moving soon im going to try & sort a rolling contract rather than 12 month

willhay555

I think it depends on your deal.I have TiVo plus two other HD boxes, XL … I think it depends on your deal.I have TiVo plus two other HD boxes, XL TV, 50mb BB, evenings and weekends something or other, 08 something for around £80.00 and everytime I push them by threatening to test the market they won't budge.I'd never join Murdoch but a comparison I did like for like with Sky was within £0.50.

simoneroebuck

I haveTV XL100 MB internetTalk unlimitedTivo boxAdditional V+ HD boxcosts … I haveTV XL100 MB internetTalk unlimitedTivo boxAdditional V+ HD boxcosts £60.75 + £15.99 a month!!!Never been given a deal, been with virgin 5 years

i get that but all in for £60.00 ... it creeps up £3 each year and they stopped offering us retention deals about 2 years ago.

I just got S so basically just the freview with some HD channels 100mb BB. Is tivo any good?

Call them up, ask when your contract finishes, mine was on 30 day rolling contract for the last 12 months because i thought it just auto renewed it self for further 12 months. Basically to get a better deal, say NO to any connection fees, installation fees etc. the adviser can give you this discount, if she says sorry you have to pay the install fee just say, "well i dont have to pay any with sky" etc and she will put you on hold for 2 min and give you the discount.

Also pay the line rental upfront for bigger saving. just be persuasive but not rude, good luck.

PS tivo has made me realize that theres nothing good on telly really.. only few programes thats it
Edited by: "tince666" 17th Nov 2014

I found I actually had to cancel before they called me back with a half decent offer. As soon as you enter that 30 day notice period they seem to try a lot harder to keep you.

I have tivo with xl package + movies
broadband 100mb
and weekends only phone line.

84 Month! Had about 12 months and cant wait for contract to be up

Same issue with my grandparents. Over 13 years but don't give no good deals at all. They pay £45.00 for atleast 5 years. 60mb, phone m and free tv box. I paid line rental upfront and got free upgrade too 100mb. I was also able to get 5 quid off only for 6 months. But only £4 after it, they said I was lucky to get that. Find that really rude paying I know more than most people. I was on top of the, for days for a good deal but nothing really.
Edited by: "default12" 17th Nov 2014

30mb broadband
XL Tv
M phone
TiVo & 4 extra hd boxes
= £92 a month that's with extra phone calls added usually £7, I pay £5 because I don't pay by direct debit so my package is £80 a month .. Think I've got a good deal but it was a retention deal too (can't remember what the deal was) but contact up again in January .. Wonder what deal I'll get this time .. If any.

allsa001

I get XXL Broadband, XL TV, and M Telephone. Have 1x1TB Tivo and … I get XXL Broadband, XL TV, and M Telephone. Have 1x1TB Tivo and 2xAdditional tv boxes. Total price per month is £39.However my parents have been with Virgin for over 10 years, and they get an awful deal. I phoned Virgin on their behalf yesterday, and the lady said that they cannot match my current deal for my parents, even though they have been with them for over 10 years, and I joined as a new customer. Quite shocking really. So I started the 30 day cancellation period and hoping to get my parents a good deal through Sky.

Just out of curiosity, what is your total discount they are giving on that whole package?

Thats seems a pretty good deal. I need to haggle harder next time i renew...

BigBoyRoy

Just out of curiosity, what is your total discount they are giving on … Just out of curiosity, what is your total discount they are giving on that whole package?Thats seems a pretty good deal. I need to haggle harder next time i renew...

The total cost is £73.99, and each month I get a credit off £34.99, meaning the total bill is £39.

I got the deal through a referral, so I maybe able to refer other people to receive the same package if anyone wants?

Original Poster

allsa001

The total cost is £73.99, and each month I get a credit off £34.99, m … The total cost is £73.99, and each month I get a credit off £34.99, meaning the total bill is £39.I got the deal through a referral, so I maybe able to refer other people to receive the same package if anyone wants?

yes please lol!

allsa001

The total cost is £73.99, and each month I get a credit off £34.99, m … The total cost is £73.99, and each month I get a credit off £34.99, meaning the total bill is £39.I got the deal through a referral, so I maybe able to refer other people to receive the same package if anyone wants?

£34?! Bah thought my £25 discount was good. Will have to remember this next year.

Cheers for the reply.

Its very rare for them to match anyone else's deals. They're pretty much made up on the spot if you manage to get hold of retentions.

Evouk

Its very rare for them to match anyone else's deals. They're pretty much … Its very rare for them to match anyone else's deals. They're pretty much made up on the spot if you manage to get hold of retentions.

I am finding this out. I am trying to get them to match my deal for my parents, but proving difficult. They said they will call me back tomorrow, and let me know if it's possible. If so, I'll post on here.

allsa001

I am finding this out. I am trying to get them to match my deal for my … I am finding this out. I am trying to get them to match my deal for my parents, but proving difficult. They said they will call me back tomorrow, and let me know if it's possible. If so, I'll post on here.

Good luck with that. I've never had them match any deal my friends have had. Tbh I think its just pot luck with them!!! As posted I don't think they do the same deals they used to.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions