Best way to get rid of nettles in the garden?

Found 21st Jul 2012
I'm trying to sort out the garden, so we can enjoy it in the nice weather, but it is over run with nettles.

This is the first garden I have had to look after. Do things like weedol and the like work on them? or is it a case of digging the damn things up?
Community Updates
MiscGarden
20 Comments
Roundup Pro Biactive. Sit and wait
roundup concentrate works very well !! concentrate is the cheapest way to buy it @ebay
Thanks, I will look into them. Just got stung about 10 times trying to cut down the damn things, lol
Round Up will kill everything you spray it on , just be warned you have to be selective
goldmax

Round Up will kill everything you spray it on , just be warned you have … Round Up will kill everything you spray it on , just be warned you have to be selective

very true !! takes about 3 weeks
Rosate 36 is a cheaper alternative - I've used this a few times and it's good for the money. Always use less water (10-15%) than the label details and be patient as it does take a few days to break down. eBay item number 250964355842 :-)
Or you could just pull them up, instant and free!
At the moment I would happily set fire to the garden to get rid of them all, lol. Keep on getting stung through my gardening gloves. The last tennant here, all she did for 6 years was mow the lawn, so all the edges are over run.

I will look into the suggestions, most of the lawn is weeds, so that needs sorting, and I am going to get some grass seed to sort out that once I kill off the weeds.
Pair of thick gloves and a pair of plastic gloves inside as they can pierce with there fine needles. Pull them from the bottom jobs a gooden.
Kill them, kill them with fire.
Your neighbours must love you. **** me off that some people have such a lack of respect and low self image.. Its like looking at a fat and or ugly people. Its offensive to my senses.
Make a soup.
cejiogu1

Make a soup.

Or tea.
Vinagar is good.
Move into a flat or concrete over the garden.
susanemily

Vinagar is good.

This i agree with my hands are still stinging from pulling up some at 1pm !! If i had more time this would have been my method as it kills them well. If your going to use vinagar cut into them so the vinagar gets into the roots.
jensangel

This i agree with my hands are still stinging from pulling up some at 1pm … This i agree with my hands are still stinging from pulling up some at 1pm !! If i had more time this would have been my method as it kills them well. If your going to use vinagar cut into them so the vinagar gets into the roots.

I will give that a go. I've managed to clear a big chunk of the weeds today, so will go and tip vinegar over the nettles.
You have to dig them up. Then you have to keep weeding or digging them up.

There are no shortcuts.
I know nettles are little stinging buggers ooops but they are one of the oldest plants on our earth and the butterflies lay there eggs on them and the ladybird feeds on them too. So Pleeeeeese save a few
Shengis

Kill them, kill them with fire.

or use Zombies...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ngoOlCWqPsg/T93tZwA5hYI/AAAAAAAABuY/jOauX9tfFVA/s1600/Plants+Vs+Zombie+Free+Download.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants