Expired

Best way to have a 4 way plug in extension socket

Found 24th Oct 2014
Basically I dont want long trailing leads as want it for kitchen as have more items than sockets, I would just use a block but dont want to risk overloading one so want a surge protected one which are fine if its a single socket but with double sockets I cannot seem to use them since if I plug one in the 2nd socket is useless since the cables coming out of the bottom of a normal plug mean I cant fit the 4 way one!

Can anyone think of a way to fit one without blocking 1 socket, the only other thing I can think to use a socket like that for would be my phone charger but want to spread out cables so I dont have 2 powerful items on 1 socket i.e a toaster and kettle on same extension(I did this before and was told it is dangerous)

Or is that just dangerous if I use both at once.

1. Ask
  2. Socket
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Socket
15 Comments

HI, Go to home bargains ive just bought a 4way socket which is protected and goes above your wall socket and not under neath and it has individual switches for each socket, only cost £5.49 and 100% safe with the cut out system.

HI, I forgot to tell you this socket set up has no lead attached to it at all, it just plugs into your wall socket with a surge on each socket, also you can buy one with 5 sockets with protected surge on each one, have I look enyway its the best thing ive bought for a long time.

A surge protected extension lead is what it says .... "surge protected".... not to do with how many appliances are connected and possibly overloading it. Just like any ordinary extension lead it will blow the fuse if overloaded.

Ellie Phant

A surge protected extension lead is what it says .... "surge … A surge protected extension lead is what it says .... "surge protected".... not to do with how many appliances are connected and possibly overloading it. Just like any ordinary extension lead it will blow the fuse if overloaded.

HI, this 4way socket system ive bought has a idependant fuse for each socket so you cannot over load it, and it is not an extension lead type socket as ive already explained

I think this is the sort of thing you might want as stated :
http://s163.photobucket.com/user/Rickardo_21/media/sockets1_zps58b26fba.jpg.html][IMG]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t295/Rickardo_21/sockets1_zps58b26fba.jpg[/URL][/img]

the left one is £2.20 and the one on the right is £6.95 .Both as listed on ebay .
Edited by: "ricko" 24th Oct 2014

LLANDWROG

HI, this 4way socket system ive bought has a idependant fuse for each … HI, this 4way socket system ive bought has a idependant fuse for each socket so you cannot over load it, and it is not an extension lead type socket as ive already explained

That's interesting, so lets say that each of those 4 sockets has a 13 amp fuse, that means you could have 52amps going into 1 socket. That is dangerous.

There is very little risk attached to having a kettle and a toaster in the same double plug socket (with no extension blocks or socket systems etc).

I would expect that each of those 4 sockets has a 3 amp fuse in it, in which case you may not be able to use a kettle or a toaster in it, as they would blow a 3 amp fuse.

Original Poster

Yes its like above which I already own but the problem is in a double socket in the wall when I plug this one in any plug put into the 2nd wall socket(not the extension) ends up too thick to plug in, as the extension is just below the socket the cable cannot go into it.

Only way it can fit is if I cram the cable in the small gap between the frame of the plug socket and the extension.

Better description on the DUNELM web page. Status 4 gang individually switched adaptor £4.19 plus a review, if these were that dangerous I don't think they would be allowed to sell them.

ricko

I think this is the sort of thing you might want as stated … I think this is the sort of thing you might want as stated :[/url][/img]the left one is £2.20 and the one on the right is £6.95 .Both as listed on ebay .

the one I bought from home bargains goes above the wall socket which gives me more room above than underneath as my wall socket was to near my skirting board, so this being designed to go above the wall socket worked out well for me.

I used one on these, ok in white, but I believe are safer...... 1-2 gang converter to 3 gang

you should be able to work out load (ampage) from kettle andd toaster and other items anyway.... do you have all items on at once anyway?

Remember , if you want extra sockets to charge tablets ,mobile phones .ect ,you can buy a double socket with 2 USB ports on it . So , you can still use your microwave and kettle but also charge 2 USB devices at the same time .Good idea .

Why not pay a sparky to place another double socket in the wall next to the existing double. It will not be to expensive as the materials are minimal most of the cost will be call out.
Edited by: "Argoj" 25th Oct 2014

Original Poster

Thanks, I wanted a individual switch one so I can turn off anything I don't use

Anyway I bought one and I managed to get it to fit without flexing the 2nd cable since the kettle lead was thin enough to fit over the 4 socket extension without blocking the 1 socket.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions