Best way to paint pebble dash garage!?

Posted 9th May
Hi

What’s the best way to paint this type of pebble dash, bloody awful with a masonry paint brush!?

3459666-WhnI2.jpg
3459666-La0QQ.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
36 Comments
You could use an extra-long pile roller and fill it up and soak the wall so it gets in all the spaces etc.

Also, you could coat with a watered pva mix fix first to aid adhesion of the paint. Put a little paint in the pva mix so you can see where you’ve covered already on the wall.

It’s just perseverance really, patience, and good weather.
Edited by: "ArcadeAssassin" 9th May
You have to use a roller, I usually use anyone, I’ve got the same job with my garage aha been down b&q to get the masonry paint today!
you just have to do it,switch your brain off ,listen to music and just paint.(switch brain back on after 3 or 4 days) good luck.
RJ77709/05/2020 01:18

You have to use a roller, I usually use anyone, I’ve got the same job with …You have to use a roller, I usually use anyone, I’ve got the same job with my garage aha been down b&q to get the masonry paint today!

Identical pebble dash? Please let me know how yours applies on ASAP! Thanks
1850maggie09/05/2020 01:34

you just have to do it,switch your brain off ,listen to music and just …you just have to do it,switch your brain off ,listen to music and just paint.(switch brain back on after 3 or 4 days) good luck.

Thanks, I’ve actually finished the whole side like the first 2 panels by dabbing it on. It’s very difficult to get in between the pebbles. I’m using this brush which is meant to be good too... I’ve actually cut off 1 inch of the bristles to help with the painting but not too much of a difference

40687371.jpg
Edited by: "ruheluddin86" 9th May
ArcadeAssassin09/05/2020 01:06

You could use an extra-long pile roller and fill it up and soak the wall …You could use an extra-long pile roller and fill it up and soak the wall so it gets in all the spaces etc. Also, you could coat with a watered pva mix fix first to aid adhesion of the paint. Put a little paint in the pva mix so you can see where you’ve covered already on the wall. It’s just perseverance really, patience, and good weather.

I’ve not tried a roller yet but just seems impossible it will get in between the pebbles with it. Might try it after @RJ777 replies back with his results!
My house has this and I've been wondering if I could paint it rather than getting it rough casted. Interested to see if anyone has sprayed a full house of thus stuff. It looks like it wouldn't be an easy job anyway.
Use a long pile sheepskin roller, cage and a roller pole - there will be a lot of spray.
I would buy a couple because these types of walls not only eat the paint but they destroy your tools.
I would buy a 2 inch brush for cutting in instead - 4 inch brushes if you're not using them daily kill your hand, I always give apprentices a 2 inch to start off with - even more so on masonry.

amazon.co.uk/Axus-D%C3%A9cor-Pro-Brush-Brush-Set/dp/B005TH081K
I use these brushes on a daily basis for any task, they are just as good as purdys. The blue ones because the bristles are more flexible you want the bristles to move inbetween the pebble dash, masonry brushes I find way too hard, its like you're just punching the wall because the bristles don't get inbetween anything.

Cover the majority of it with 1 coat, fill in all the black spaces, you may have to use the brush to fill in certain bits, it may take 2/3 dips of paint for the one bit you are rolling.
If you do this the second coat should be a breeze.
Don't use PVA. 2 coats of masonry only, try brush/scrape off any moss etc.

Spraying would be the most efficent way of doing it but I'm not sure how much one would cost to hire as decent ones are £££. I wouldn't buy one unless you're in the trade using it regularly.

It's tough, I hated doing outsides, your whole body ends up aching and your patience wears very thin haha.

I would also add to anyone, if your paint is too thick and you're struggling with first coat - if your masonry is water based then add about 1/3 water to 5L and mix. Oil based add 1/3 white spirit to 5l and mix until no bubbles lie ontop. It will be a little more 'drippy' but easier to put on wall since thinned down. Shouldn't be nessecary for 2nd coat as all black gaps should be filled with 1st.
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 9th May
chocci09/05/2020 03:42

I would use a paint …I would use a paint sprayerhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Paint-Sprayers/b?ie=UTF8&node=1938813031

The Sandtex paint is too thick for standard sprayersn I won’t be forking out a fortune for 1 off use!
Rusty8209/05/2020 07:39

My house has this and I've been wondering if I could paint it rather than …My house has this and I've been wondering if I could paint it rather than getting it rough casted. Interested to see if anyone has sprayed a full house of thus stuff. It looks like it wouldn't be an easy job anyway.

Few videos on YouTube made it look easy but I I’m not sure if it’s the exact same texture n also guess it depends on the brush too!

ruheluddin8609/05/2020 10:37

The Sandtex paint is too thick for standard sprayersn I won’t be forking o …The Sandtex paint is too thick for standard sprayersn I won’t be forking out a fortune for 1 off use!

I edited my comment but incase you didn't see, for first coat - if your masonry is water based mix 1/3 water into 5l. It will be a little more 'drippy' but it will thin it to be easier to put on wall. 1/3 white spirit if oil based. Shouldn't be nessecary for 2nd coat.
40689707-OS83C.jpg
40689707-RpidG.jpg
Cloeeez09/05/2020 10:48

I edited my comment but incase you didn't see, for first coat - if your …I edited my comment but incase you didn't see, for first coat - if your masonry is water based mix 1/3 water into 5l. It will be a little more 'drippy' but it will thin it to be easier to put on wall. 1/3 white spirit if oil based. Shouldn't be nessecary for 2nd coat.

But that defeats the object of buying quality paint to last ages surely!?
I painted my double storey extension a couple of years ago, do a mix of 70 water 30 paint for 1st coat, it's very messy but flies on the wall and gets into all the gaps, then do a 50 50 mix for second coat, both using a masonry brush, job done
ruheluddin8609/05/2020 11:29

No.
It's the same with a miscoat on bare plaster. You mix up emulsion with some water so the plaster sooks in the paint.
It's the same thing. The bare cast will sook in the paint on the first coat so it's easier to use a thinned mix. The second coat is fine without being thinned as the cast has already sooked it in.
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 9th May
Cloeeez09/05/2020 12:27

No.It's the same with a miscoat on bare plaster. You mix up emulsion with …No.It's the same with a miscoat on bare plaster. You mix up emulsion with some water so the plaster sooks in the paint.It's the same thing. The bare cast will sook in the paint on the first coat so it's easier to use a thinned mix. The second coat is fine without being thinned as the cast has already sooked it in.

Yes but I’ll still have the same issue with main coat getting in between the pebbles etc!?
ruheluddin8609/05/2020 12:57

Yes but I’ll still have the same issue with main coat getting in between t …Yes but I’ll still have the same issue with main coat getting in between the pebbles etc!?

You'll find that the 2nd coat goes on easier because the 1st coat will have sealed the wall making it less absorbant, and it will also have filled in some of the gaps between the pebbles.
The only minor issue is that its more difficult to see where you've painted because you're now painting white on white.
How long did it take you to paint the first coat?

I've got pebbledash too and there is a noticeable grey repair on a crack.
I've been planning on painting the front for the last 3 years (bought the paint back then) to hopefully improve curb appeal. It's only a bungalow with a large window and door so the area isn't as big as yours to paint.

Be good to see if it makes a huge improvement to your garage.
mug5109/05/2020 14:01

How long did it take you to paint the first coat?I've got pebbledash too …How long did it take you to paint the first coat?I've got pebbledash too and there is a noticeable grey repair on a crack.I've been planning on painting the front for the last 3 years (bought the paint back then) to hopefully improve curb appeal. It's only a bungalow with a large window and door so the area isn't as big as yours to paint.Be good to see if it makes a huge improvement to your garage.

First coat I did with the brush n the paint itself, doesn’t take long at all - 2 hours max. Just keep dabbing along, don’t attempt to fill in any of the gaps.
Cloeeez09/05/2020 12:27

No.It's the same with a miscoat on bare plaster. You mix up emulsion with …No.It's the same with a miscoat on bare plaster. You mix up emulsion with some water so the plaster sooks in the paint.It's the same thing. The bare cast will sook in the paint on the first coat so it's easier to use a thinned mix. The second coat is fine without being thinned as the cast has already sooked it in.

So I mixed 2-1 water to paint n this is the result I think it’s almost impossible to fill in the gaps without mixing water!

I might take on board Paul’s ratio n try the next panel, I don’t want too much water mixed in you see for durability.

Bad lighting, will take some pics later.
40691741-eMcYR.jpg
40691741-LaodY.jpg
These houses below all pebble dashed and they spray painted them, like @chocci suggested.

40691761-RGCPo.jpg
40691761-1Z1Na.jpg
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 9th May
ruheluddin8609/05/2020 14:34

So I mixed 2-1 water to paint n this is the result I think it’s a …So I mixed 2-1 water to paint n this is the result I think it’s almost impossible to fill in the gaps without mixing water! I might take on board Paul’s ratio n try the next panel, I don’t want too much water mixed in you see for durability.Bad lighting, will take some pics later. [Image] [Image]

It's getting there
cecilmcroberts09/05/2020 14:36

These houses below all pebble dashed and they spray painted them, like …These houses below all pebble dashed and they spray painted them, like @chocci suggested. [Image] [Image]

It’s NOT the same pebble dash like my garage lol
I've done with a brush just dab in, water it slightly . Will take time.
ssc109/05/2020 17:22

I've done with a brush just dab in, water it slightly . Will take time.

What water ratio did you use?
Any pics of results?
ruheluddin8609/05/2020 11:29

Makes no difference. The water evaporates leaving the same amount of paint on the wall.
ruheluddin8609/05/2020 18:33

What water ratio did you use? Any pics of results?

Transfer paint into another container add a little water mix. No ratio just so.it doesn't run. Alternatively slightly wet the wall with hosepipe. After give another coat without water. Sorry no.pics was at another property.
chocci09/05/2020 18:39

Makes no difference. The water evaporates leaving the same amount of paint …Makes no difference. The water evaporates leaving the same amount of paint on the wall.

Lol that’s silly, you don’t want the paint being diluted thin as water!
RJ77709/05/2020 01:18

You have to use a roller, I usually use anyone, I’ve got the same job with …You have to use a roller, I usually use anyone, I’ve got the same job with my garage aha been down b&q to get the masonry paint today!

Any results!?
ruheluddin8612/05/2020 23:17

Lol that’s silly, you don’t want the paint being diluted thin as water!

You're silly for suggesting that's what I wrote. Learn to read properly.
chocci13/05/2020 05:45

You're silly for suggesting that's what I wrote. Learn to read properly.

If you’re going to be rude don’t bloody comment! Where on earth did you state that below?

ruheluddin86 wrote:

Makes no difference. The water evaporates leaving the same amount of paint on the wall.”
ruheluddin8613/05/2020 09:24

If you’re going to be rude don’t bloody comment! Where on earth did you sta …If you’re going to be rude don’t bloody comment! Where on earth did you state that below? “ruheluddin86 wrote:But that defeats the object of buying quality paint to last ages surely!?Makes no difference. The water evaporates leaving the same amount of paint on the wall.”

where did I state to dilute the paint as 'thin as water'? I said add 1/3 water into 5l for a paint sprayer. Worked perfectly on pebble dash for me.

no need to get your knickers in a twist love
Edited by: "chocci" 13th May
40747115-6ADAQ.jpg
40747115-LXYFx.jpgI think I painted my extension about 5yrs ago, still looking tidy
Edited by: "Paul_Stephens" 14th May
I’m slowly getting there! Lol couple hours today n not bad 20% complete

40752585-PEnqA.jpg
ruheluddin8614/05/2020 22:08

I’m slowly getting there! Lol couple hours today n not bad 20% complete ( …I’m slowly getting there! Lol couple hours today n not bad 20% complete [Image]

Well done, its starting to look a lot better.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions