Groups

Best way to partition external HDD to FAT32

Got fed up of my PS3 demanding more space or for me to delete stuff on it so have bitten the bullet and bought a 640GB HDD to put into it.

In the meantime I want to back up my existing PS3 HDD to my 1TB external HDD - but they don't like each other - with PS3 being FAT32, and my external HDD being NTFS.

Now I know the simple way to do this is through mycomputer and get XP to format and partition, but I have stuff on my HDD that I can't transfer anywhere else - so that's out of the question.

Last time I had to do this for my old Phat PS3 I used Partition Magic, which promptly crashed towards the end and I had to recover my external HDD with FDISK - it ultimately worked, but almost gave me a heart attack, and I'd rather not go through that again. There has to be an easier way? Help!

9 Comments

In XP / vista / Windows 7 then there is disk management tool that you can use.

Its under administrative tool's.

I've used partition magic and it has worked flawlessly. The proviso is that you must make sure you do a thorough defrag and chkdsk before doing the partitioning..

iq200

I've used partition magic and it has worked flawlessly. The proviso is … I've used partition magic and it has worked flawlessly. The proviso is that you must make sure you do a thorough defrag and chkdsk before doing the partitioning..

+1

Original Poster

PilchY

In XP / vista / Windows 7 then there is disk management tool that you can … In XP / vista / Windows 7 then there is disk management tool that you can use.Its under administrative tool's.

I've looked into that, it will only let me format, it won't let me create a new partition from the active section

Original Poster

iq200

I've used partition magic and it has worked flawlessly. The proviso is … I've used partition magic and it has worked flawlessly. The proviso is that you must make sure you do a thorough defrag and chkdsk before doing the partitioning..

That could be where I went wrong last time I didn't do either of those I don't think, I just ran partition magic!

HP Format tool.
    +1

PilchY

In XP / vista / Windows 7 then there is disk management tool that you can … In XP / vista / Windows 7 then there is disk management tool that you can use.Its under administrative tool's.

+1

In vista you go to control panel--->system and maintenance and its under Administrative tools

Swissknife - download.cnet.com/Com…tml

Might be a trial version, but should do the job... or if you think you might use it more often then you can buy the new version for $9.99

USed it the other day to format my external harddrive to fat32 for similar reason, win 7 won't format over 32GB partitions to fat32
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?2399
      2. hOW SHOCKED WERE YOU AT THE GLASGOW FRUIT MARKET CONFLAGRATION??1111
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764160
      4. Sad news about Barcelona24101

See more discussions