Best way to play my SNES on the plasma TV?

Found 25th Apr 2017
Hey guys and gals!

My bloke is a bit OCD and this means his old consoles are still boxed and in top nick! Unlike mine...

How can I get the SNES to play on the big Panasonic plasma telly and not look stupid or upscaled wrong?

I've had a google and it's totally perplexing me.

Just after some sort of cable that will go from SNES to the big TV and scale it to size? One that doesn't cost the earth...

I'd love to play them again, but also, would like to check our doubles in the games, so I can ebay the doubles that work! His of course are all boxed... mine are just loose cartridges haha!

Bloke says it's just impossible to get it to play on the big TV, but what I've seen online it might well be possible, albeit with a cable that was over £200! That's all I've found really... and that is just way too much for something that might not even do the trick.

Anyone here have this hook up sorted out?

Thank you!
Community Updates
AskNintendoTV & Video
15 Comments
deleted265520
Framemeister - will cost you a lot

Buy a cheap CRT and play it how it was meant to be played
Edited by: "deleted265520" 25th Apr 2017
dtovey89

Framemeister - will cost you a lotBuy a cheap CRT and play it how it was … Framemeister - will cost you a lotBuy a cheap CRT and play it how it was meant to be played

I just went bought a cheap 22" LCD that had a SCART input and it looks pretty good. Takes up alot less space than a CRT. I've tried it up to 32" and it has been bang on.
deleted265520
crazymonkey

I just went bought a cheap 22" LCD that had a SCART input and it looks … I just went bought a cheap 22" LCD that had a SCART input and it looks pretty good. Takes up alot less space than a CRT. I've tried it up to 32" and it has been bang on.

Got a 21inch Sony CRT myself.
With a decent RGB scart cable PS2 games look amazing.
dtovey89

Got a 21inch Sony CRT myself.With a decent RGB scart cable PS2 games look … Got a 21inch Sony CRT myself.With a decent RGB scart cable PS2 games look amazing.

Sony were always the best in CRT, damn wish they would bring back the Wega brand
teambintip

Do these work? - … Do these work? - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KHT1MWI/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Would polishing a turd make it any more attractive?

X)

The games were designed for smaller screens
If you have an N64 or gamecube you can use the AV cable from those consoles on the Snes, most modern tvs still have that connection or you can pick one up on ebay for a couple of quid -ebay.co.uk/itm…338
crazymonkey

I just went bought a cheap 22" LCD that had a SCART input and it looks … I just went bought a cheap 22" LCD that had a SCART input and it looks pretty good. Takes up alot less space than a CRT. I've tried it up to 32" and it has been bang on.

hmmmm my kid still has a small LCD telly... must be around that size. He calls it his "travelling telly". Takes it and the x1 to sleepovers at grandfolks house etc....
Retron 5 outputs all games in hd on new televisions?
A composite cable and a projector. Would need speakers for sound. Then you just need a bit of plain white wall to project against.
retrogamingcables.co.uk/nin…ide
Depending on your console age you might have a SNES without the RGB S-Video connections, if that's the case then I would just emulate using a pi or PC and Steam Streamer.
i assume that if you were to use emulation that it would already be cleanly upscaled before transmitting via hdmi?
brilly

i assume that if you were to use emulation that it would already be … i assume that if you were to use emulation that it would already be cleanly upscaled before transmitting via hdmi?

Yeah, TV scaling from low res is pretty crap and stretching a 4:3 ratio to 16:9 isn't that good.

Using retropi/retroarch you can do some amazing things like bezels,overlays and shaders like CRT shadow mask, blur, pin cushion distortion, gaps between the scanlines. Also you get access to stuff like Netplay so you can play multiplayer games over the internet Link

Examples of how it could look on a 16:9 widescreen TV.
youtube.com/wat…VeU

You should be able to get it to look as good as a crt on a plasma easily.
youtube.com/wat…7AU
If you do use your original SNES hooked up to play games you should get an Everdrive or SD2SNES cart for it,would post links but my tablet isn't letting me paste for some reason goto retrotowers.co.uk
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants