Best way to play Shenmue 2 Xbox?

I have just got my self a copy of shenmue 2 on Xbox original from eBay and I am wondering how can I get the best video quality and overall experience with it.

what I have heard is that the pal original Xbox will need to be soft modded to provide a 480p image other wise it's max res is 480i on pal systems how true is this?

and when I buy a component cable will the cheap Chinese £3 ones do or will I need a more expensive one for better quality as they are analogue cables?

If I buy a 360 I will need a original mMicrosoft hardrive to have the emulator code on it and it probably is unlikely I will find one and it will be expensive. also if it is used and the hardrive is wiped the emulator code is deleted with it. is this true or can any 360 play shenmue 2?

can you guys please give me the best and cheapest solution to this dilemma thanks.

note: I don't have Xbox original or 360 but I have shenmue 2 xbox. but I would like to get an original Xbox for this purpose.

21 Comments

1080i with component and softmod

Just grab an original xbox for about £20

Hi cant answer the display questions but shenmue 2 is a original xbox backwards compatibility title for 360 so will work on all 360 consoles

Original Poster

kester76

1080i with component and softmod

​will any cheap Chinese cable work just as well Or will I need to pay more for a better one?

Original Poster

kester76

Just grab an original xbox for about £20

​do you know where I can get a good deal on an Xbox other than eBay and gumtree?

Original Poster

johnwillowlfc

Hi cant answer the display questions but shenmue 2 is a original xbox … Hi cant answer the display questions but shenmue 2 is a original xbox backwards compatibility title for 360 so will work on all 360 consoles

​yes I thought so to but apparently you need an Xbox 360 with an original Microsoft hardrive which has backward compatibility code on it. and apparently it's emulated not native
Edited by: "UberPark" 6th Mar

UberPark

​will any cheap Chinese cable work just as well Or will I need to pay m … ​will any cheap Chinese cable work just as well Or will I need to pay more for a better one?

​It's pot luck, most cheap cables are ok though. You just need to softmod an original xbox and set the output to ntsc and 1080i component output. Should look amazing in HD and doesn't have the issues of emulation on the 360. You can install the game on the xbox hdd as well.

Original Poster

kester76

​It's pot luck, most cheap cables are ok though. You just need to softmod … ​It's pot luck, most cheap cables are ok though. You just need to softmod an original xbox and set the output to ntsc and 1080i component output. Should look amazing in HD and doesn't have the issues of emulation on the 360. You can install the game on the xbox hdd as well.

​Any recommendations on a really good softmod tutorial?

UberPark

​Sounds like you should have got the console first then the game.. oO

Original Poster

Dawsy

​Sounds like you should have got the console first then the game.. oO

true but I wanted shenmue 2 as I have almost finished 1 on dreamcast. and I wanted the English dubbed version. I know it's not the best voice acting but it gaves shenmue 1 it's charm​

Game is really choppy on a 360 tried it out not to long ago. Got my original xbox out of storage instead.

UberPark

​Sorry, I've not softmodded one since 2008ish. I think splinter cell, jamebond and a mech game have game exploits. There was a softmod disc kicking around with all the utils on but I can't remember the name.

Banned

What kester said.

I've had my soft modded xbox for a while and having component cables playing games like ninja gaiden / the warriors is Night and Day with the better res.

What I will say is the GBP 5.00 component cables on amazon do the job perfectly - no need to fork out 99 quid for a set of ''super rare'' monster xbox component cables from some scumbag seller.

Although I bought my xbox from ebay already modded, I would highly recommend watching this guys videos on how he done his and how to set up certain things (no its not my channel) - youtube.com/wat…=4s

I followed that guys tutorial on how to download, transfer from PC -->Xbox (via total commander - ftp), and set up the enigma switcher app (As it wasnt on my softmodded xbox initially). The xbox app allows you to switch the region from PAL to NTSC video mode and vice versa, which inevitably allows you to enable 480/720p and 1080i res output on compatible games. And aye, if you have the Shenmue disc like Kester says...theres an app that will allow you to rip the disc straight to the Xbox's HDD.

Soft modded xbox was the best 50 quid i spent on ebay last year hands down.

Original Poster

Cherried

What kester said. I've had my soft modded xbox for a while and having … What kester said. I've had my soft modded xbox for a while and having component cables playing games like ninja gaiden / the warriors is Night and Day with the better res. What I will say is the GBP 5.00 component cables on amazon do the job perfectly - no need to fork out 99 quid for a set of ''super rare'' monster xbox component cables from some scumbag seller. Although I bought my xbox from ebay already modded, I would highly recommend watching this guys videos on how he done his and how to set up certain things (no its not my channel) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq4lfyY6Qv0&t=4sI followed that guys tutorial on how to download, transfer from PC -->Xbox (via total commander - ftp), and set up the enigma switcher app (As it wasnt on my softmodded xbox initially). The xbox app allows you to switch the region from PAL to NTSC video mode and vice versa, which inevitably allows you to enable 480/720p and 1080i res output on compatible games. And aye, if you have the Shenmue disc like Kester says...theres an app that will allow you to rip the disc straight to the Xbox's HDD.Soft modded xbox was the best 50 quid i spent on ebay last year hands down.

Thanks I'll check it out.
Edited by: "UberPark" 6th Mar

See youtu.be/7HN…Ucg for the best way to play shemnue 2

Original Poster

rossl1986

See https://youtu.be/7HNOSQqoUcg for the best way to play shemnue 2

Thanks this was a great video from digital foundry and what I took from it is that either use the xbox if you want to use original hardware or use Dreamcast emulation if you want some modern graphical improvements. But seeing as i have shenmue 2 for xbox now and I dont have time to play with emulation settings I'll stick with xbox

Auto installer deluxe v4.53 is a good softmod all in one package. You still need an original game to do a save game exploit. I think I used a PC memory card reader to load the exploit on to the card but a usb stick on a XBox to USB cable should work.

Shenmue 2 is a class game.. I used the auto installer deluxe but I didn't do a game save exploit. I did mine by carefully swapping the hard drive to the pc as the xbox booted up (needed the xbox to unlock the hard drive) then once connected to the pc I soft moded the drive and then booted the xbox up with the auto installer to install the custom dash and programs for transferring games to hard drive etc.

Bit of a ball ache but well worth it once it's done, just Google - soft mod xbox with pc... Best of luck

wizztech

Shenmue 2 is a class game.. I used the auto installer deluxe but I didn't … Shenmue 2 is a class game.. I used the auto installer deluxe but I didn't do a game save exploit. I did mine by carefully swapping the hard drive to the pc as the xbox booted up (needed the xbox to unlock the hard drive) then once connected to the pc I soft moded the drive and then booted the xbox up with the auto installer to install the custom dash and programs for transferring games to hard drive etc. Bit of a ball ache but well worth it once it's done, just Google - soft mod xbox with pc... Best of luck

Ouch, only did that once before with an old PC running linux to lock my HDD. Found out later you only have to lock it to prevent from being banned on XBox live and anything over 200GB was an instant ban
Having an exploit game and gamesave means you can recover a backed up dashboard/HDD if you kill the HDD in your xbox or delete/corrupt the dashboard which happened to my brother oO

Original Poster

wizztech

Shenmue 2 is a class game.. I used the auto installer deluxe but I didn't … Shenmue 2 is a class game.. I used the auto installer deluxe but I didn't do a game save exploit. I did mine by carefully swapping the hard drive to the pc as the xbox booted up (needed the xbox to unlock the hard drive) then once connected to the pc I soft moded the drive and then booted the xbox up with the auto installer to install the custom dash and programs for transferring games to hard drive etc. Bit of a ball ache but well worth it once it's done, just Google - soft mod xbox with pc... Best of luck

Found this tutorial which is pretty in depth and does a good job of going through everything
Video Link

kester76

Ouch, only did that once before with an old PC running linux to lock my … Ouch, only did that once before with an old PC running linux to lock my HDD. Found out later you only have to lock it to prevent from being banned on XBox live and anything over 200GB was an instant ban :)Having an exploit game and gamesave means you can recover a backed up dashboard/HDD if you kill the HDD in your xbox or delete/corrupt the dashboard which happened to my brother oO

​I got a 1tb in it now lol modded the original HDD and then cloned it. Iv done the trick swapping it to the pc twice, it's supposed to be real risky so both times I was shaking with nerves and it still turned out fine luckily lol
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Iptv810
    2. Parcel2go - missing parcel to italy33
    3. Random messages from a Mod called CUZZY33
    4. Where has the Freebies section gone ?23

See more discussions