Best way to protect yourself from buying items from china?

Found 10th Nov 2017
Hi All, I am looking to take advantage of the 11.11 sales tomorrow and was wondering the best way to protect myself?

PayPal offer free returns up to £15 - paypal.com/uk/…urns

Credit card companies offer section 75 refunds - moneysavingexpert.com/sho…ses

If I was to order a mobile phone and it becomes faulty in 12 months I would presume paying on a credit card would have been the best option to choose; however if t turns up dead on arrival PayPal would have been the better option?!?!?!

I also read that it depends on where you buy the products from e.g. if I was to buy from GearBest my transaction is directly through them and all of the above would apply; however if I bought through AliExpress they act as a third party so you would have more difficulties.

Its all confusing - What do you guys think/recommend? I have bought lots of stuff from China before and have been lucky, just trying to be careful for future purchases.

Sara x
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
I'm interested in the same thing almost none of the companies will accept anything like Paypal that protects the purchaser
Pay with Paypal and never buy anything from China that you are not prepared to simply write the purchase cost off on.

In my case that means that I never order anything over £40 directly from China.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 10th Nov 2017
deleted79467
qwales4 h, 6 m ago

I'm interested in the same thing almost none of the companies will accept …I'm interested in the same thing almost none of the companies will accept anything like Paypal that protects the purchaser

paid 310 quid for my drone from china from banggood and they took paypal fine
I always use Paypal but like SUMMONER says I'm always prepared for a write-off! Mainly buy smallish electrical components,

Never had a problem that has not been sorted though! Recently ordered something from Banggood which stopped working after two days and they refunded me immediately. Also a recent delivery only had 2 items when I had ordered 3 - they sent a replacement promptly.

Never made an expensive purchase - nothing more than £45. If I can I break my orders up to less than £15 to try and avoid VAT - a few orders have been more expensive but have never been caught! Always take the cheapest untracked postage option - find delivery generally takes 15-20 days.
Edited by: "Van1973" 10th Nov 2017
Aliexpress is pretty good, Any problems I've always had refunds etc.
deleted79467
.MUFC.1 h, 16 m ago

Aliexpress is pretty good, Any problems I've always had refunds etc.

aliexpress is not the vendor just a shopfront its all about making sure you use a reputable seller
Edited by: "deleted79467" 10th Nov 2017
If u use aliexpress they have better service and refund policy’s
11.11 sales - really? How very tasteless.
chocci24 m ago

11.11 sales - really? How very tasteless.

It's not what you think is relating too...

While the actual origin of Singles' Day is debatable, most people have settled upon the story of how it emerged from the dormitories of Nanjing University in the mid-90s. Four single university male students gathered to discuss how to break the shackles of the monotony of singlehood (remember those were pre-Tinder/Facebook days). One dude had the epiphany of deciding that November 11 would be representative of Singles' Day due to the number of ones in the date – 11-11 recalls the ‘bare sticks’ Chinese idiom, used to refer to people (mostly men) who stay single most of their lives.

Singles' Day made its rounds on social media, garnering more and more interest from singletons across China as a day to spend with friends, until in 2009, Alibaba co-opted the holiday to market a massive sales campaign. Now China has this absurdly successful commercial holiday born from post-modern laughter in the face of classic crushing loneliness.
moshixmoshi19 m ago

It's not what you think is relating too...While the actual origin of …It's not what you think is relating too...While the actual origin of Singles' Day is debatable, most people have settled upon the story of how it emerged from the dormitories of Nanjing University in the mid-90s. Four single university male students gathered to discuss how to break the shackles of the monotony of singlehood (remember those were pre-Tinder/Facebook days). One dude had the epiphany of deciding that November 11 would be representative of Singles' Day due to the number of ones in the date – 11-11 recalls the ‘bare sticks’ Chinese idiom, used to refer to people (mostly men) who stay single most of their lives.Singles' Day made its rounds on social media, garnering more and more interest from singletons across China as a day to spend with friends, until in 2009, Alibaba co-opted the holiday to market a massive sales campaign. Now China has this absurdly successful commercial holiday born from post-modern laughter in the face of classic crushing loneliness.

Fair enough although they could have chosen a different date for this commercial nonsense. Like 1/1
mattmerch10th Nov

paid 310 quid for my drone from china from banggood and they took paypal …paid 310 quid for my drone from china from banggood and they took paypal fine

I'm talking about dealing direct with the companies in China, not a middleman like Banggood.
deleted79467
qwales35 m ago

I'm talking about dealing direct with the companies in China, not a …I'm talking about dealing direct with the companies in China, not a middleman like Banggood.

unless your buying in bulk the producers/manufacturers of these items will just redirect you to a re-seller anyway
That's not my experience on Alibaba
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants