best way to put up tv wall bracket on plasterboard? i tried blue gripit (after 3 months it fell)

Posted 4th Dec
i didn't however screw into beam, i have tried to have a look now using the knocking method, sounds like its all hollow apart from the sides of the wall
so i will likely move the tv to this area
i do have a tv wall bracket which moves and can be angled which probably caused additional stress

shall i try blue gripits again or is there another method?

the new location its sounds like it is a solid beam or brick...
thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
whats the cavity gap like to the brick? if any brick that is
Edited by: "KapA" 4th Dec
Might be best to buy a stud finder (oh er missus) to accurately find the studs and miss any pipes or cables. When you drill a small hole you will soon discover if it’s brick or wood
Edited by: "slippers1977" 4th Dec
Wall anchors, ignore the setting tool blurb in the description. They work a treat in plasterboard, simply drill a 10mm (depends on size of course) and slot in, then tighten to clamp against the board. The can hold a hell of a lot of weight and haven't failed me in projects around the house into plasterboard. Various sizes, here's an example:

screwfix.com/p/r….ds
HiChee04/12/2019 20:19

Wall anchors, ignore the setting tool blurb in the description. They work …Wall anchors, ignore the setting tool blurb in the description. They work a treat in plasterboard, simply drill a 10mm (depends on size of course) and slot in, then tighten to clamp against the board. The can hold a hell of a lot of weight and haven't failed me in projects around the house into plasterboard. Various sizes, here's an example:https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-hollow-wall-anchors-m4-x-40mm-20-pack/54782?tc=GT6&ds_kid=92700024762949010&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249413&ds_rl=1247848&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=Cj0KCQiAz53vBRCpARIsAPPsz8UAeHP5e9HoZkli8xss2XnOXM_yTCTneyNo7W4yBK86m-i-8KrP0jMaApykEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

So literally these open up once your screw in ...
I bought this magnet to find studs, works every time for me. Once you find one, just make sure you have at least one screw for the bracket in the stud. I have a 40" on a plaster wall using this method and it's solid.

amazon.co.uk/dp/…t_1
Will
wakkaday04/12/2019 20:25

McShane104/12/2019 20:45

I bought this magnet to find studs, works every time for me. Once you find …I bought this magnet to find studs, works every time for me. Once you find one, just make sure you have at least one screw for the bracket in the stud. I have a 40" on a plaster wall using this method and it's solid. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0038E2KYE?ref_=pe_3187911_248764861_302_E_DDE_dt_1

Thanks will most walls have studs in? I see the electric timber finder devices online I suspect this is similar
wakkaday04/12/2019 20:51

Will Thanks will most walls have studs in? I see the electric timber …Will Thanks will most walls have studs in? I see the electric timber finder devices online I suspect this is similar

I'm no builder or expert but I'm pretty sure all plaster walls should have studs in them if they're hollow. They need to be screwed into something, right? lol

You can try using a tool that's designed for finding studs but I tried one and it was crap haha. The magnet worked much better for me.
wakkaday04/12/2019 20:25

Yes, the screw pulls the far end toward your hand and clamps hard against the wall, keep tightening until it's rock solid and they don't budge. I've hung 65" OLED TV's and older heavier 55" TV's without issue, they could hold at least 3 times that weight without budging.
39259673-KCvpO.jpg
Edited by: "HiChee" 4th Dec
HiChee04/12/2019 20:58

Yes, the screw pulls the far end toward your hand and clamps hard against …Yes, the screw pulls the far end toward your hand and clamps hard against the wall, keep tightening until it's rock solid and they don't budge. I've hung 65" OLED TV's and older heavier 55" TV's without issue, they could hold at least 3 times that weight without budging.[Image]

I'd say you've been lucky using those plugs with TVs of that weight. I've seen TVs pull raw plugs out of brick but that was a DIY failure as the plug was smaller than the hole!! 😁

My baby 42" is fixed with coach bolts in to beams! I'm paranoid though
darlodge04/12/2019 21:07

I'd say you've been lucky using those plugs with TVs of that weight. I've …I'd say you've been lucky using those plugs with TVs of that weight. I've seen TVs pull raw plugs out of brick but that was a DIY failure as the plug was smaller than the hole!! 😁My baby 42" is fixed with coach bolts in to beams! I'm paranoid though

Honestly I've used them in plasterboard for years, the way they grip makes them extremely solid.
HiChee04/12/2019 21:08

Honestly I've used them in plasterboard for years, the way they grip makes …Honestly I've used them in plasterboard for years, the way they grip makes them extremely solid.

I've used them for other things but really don't like the risk. I'm lucky I guess I have brick walls everywhere apart from where the TV is as it's a hidden cable run.
McShane104/12/2019 20:53

I'm no builder or expert but I'm pretty sure all plaster walls should have …I'm no builder or expert but I'm pretty sure all plaster walls should have studs in them if they're hollow. They need to be screwed into something, right? lolYou can try using a tool that's designed for finding studs but I tried one and it was crap haha. The magnet worked much better for me.

Not all plasterboard walls have timber studs. Some are dot and dab and use splodges of adhesive to stick the plasterboard to the block/brick behind leaving a void between the block/brick and the board.
Did you use them correctly?

I put up a 65" TV with the same fixings and its a solid fix.

You can use other plasterboard fixings in combination, slightly overkill but helps to spread the load.

Also as others have commented, what is behind the wall, I'm in a similar situation to you and there is no timber behind the walls it goes straight to blocks which you can use special fixings again.
wakkaday04/12/2019 20:51

Will Thanks will most walls have studs in? I see the electric timber …Will Thanks will most walls have studs in? I see the electric timber finder devices online I suspect this is similar

Outside internal walls with plaster board will more than likely be dot and dab with no stud work but in newer homes internal partition walls usually have stud timbers.
Edited by: "porsche911turbo" 5th Dec
thesimpsons_uk04/12/2019 23:46

Did you use them correctly?I put up a 65" TV with the same fixings and its …Did you use them correctly?I put up a 65" TV with the same fixings and its a solid fix.You can use other plasterboard fixings in combination, slightly overkill but helps to spread the load.Also as others have commented, what is behind the wall, I'm in a similar situation to you and there is no timber behind the walls it goes straight to blocks which you can use special fixings again.

I didn’t use any tools to see if anything is solid ..I just found a good location. And placed the tv bracket ... perhaps it wise I shoul
Have got a device to locate something solid . The wall anchors from Screwfix do I need any special drill tool for them to be used ?8 know the grip it comes with the cutter tool
wakkaday05/12/2019 01:24

I didn’t use any tools to see if anything is solid ..I just found a good l …I didn’t use any tools to see if anything is solid ..I just found a good location. And placed the tv bracket ... perhaps it wise I shoulHave got a device to locate something solid . The wall anchors from Screwfix do I need any special drill tool for them to be used ?8 know the grip it comes with the cutter tool

another vote for wall anchors but defo use a tool to set them, I got a cheap one off ebay for £7 using the screw to tighten them is risky if you don't have a lot of experience, the tool just needs a bit of muscle
apart from those you will need a drill and bit the same size as anchors you choose
I’m
Sure it’s on google to
See how the wall anchors are fixed . Will look into it thanks guys
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions