Best way to remove sticky tape from upvc frames

Found 3rd Aug 2015
I have two upvc patio doors which were installed by the previous owner however they still have sticky tape around the frames with the manufacturers name etc. This tape has started to disintegrate so I cannot just peel it off. Can anyone recommend a way to remove it? Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
A very sharp Stanley blade without being attached to the knife or you could try gently scrubbing it with sugar soap if it's really nearly disintegrated.
You could try this?
Hi there - Brasso is brilliant for removing sticky residue, sellotape, labels, stickers, etc. sellotape comes off pretty quickly, then just wipe it over with soapy water. Hope that this helps.
if frames r white use cif or pink stuff
expanding foam cleaner works
Nail polish remover
Wd 40...I wouldn't use a blade
what ever u try start with least noticeable area
Baby oil. It will break down the glue. Best stuff for removing stickers from bluray cases as well.
the tape that's on the frames is to protect it during transportation and manufacture if it's left on the sun bakes it to the frame
apparently. . . mayonnaise is good! !
Metholated spirit is good for taking sticky tape off.
another vote for wd40 and some elbow grease
[quote=jah140893]
I have two upvc patio doors which were installed by the previous owner however they still have sticky tape around the frames with the manufacturers name etc. This tape has started to disintegrate so I cannot just peel it off. Can anyone recommend a way to remove it? Thanks in advance.

Hi jah140893
An old car mechanic told me years ago when cleaning engines they used Paraffin so I bought some.
Now I am going to get all the smart answers on how it smells but I can guarantee you that you will not find
a better cleaner for a number of things like, sticky labels, stains on your clothes, then wash, cleaning tar of the car.
Please give it a try it is inexpensive just put some on and let it soak in for a minute and it will kill the sticky and then
just rub off. .
http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-paraffin-4l/257116_BQ.prd
Edited by: "UKnowYerman." 4th Aug 2015
wd-40, let it soak...wipe off
white spirit
Solvent cleaner is what you need (and what window fitters use).

Its a brilliant cleaner for many things. Toolstation link.
I'm going to throw toothpaste into the mix. Works well on sticky residue...and will smell fresh!
Edited by: "P_nnyPinch_r" 4th Aug 2015
isopropyl alcohol
use it for a multitude of cleaning tasks.
just recently used it on my white upvc window frames to remove the sticky residue left from the velcro of an old insect screen.

Edited by: "amis1975" 4th Aug 2015
Hairspray removes sticky residue.
Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. Wd40 seems to do the trick
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions