Best way to rid ground elder tree (no tools)

Posted 26th Apr
I have a ground elder tree growing out of the concrete in the garden. I've no such garden tools as they've never been needed.
How can I rid it?
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
This chap says to use one of those roll-on deodorant style weed killers daubing it on the plant. But says it will take several years to get rid of.

Buy the tools or pay someone
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 26th Apr
Brushwood killer!
Nuclear bomb.
chemigro.co.uk/Pro…spx

I got some of this stuff for my grandad. He put a bit of it (about 100ml, neat) near the root of a tree that was sprouting up (good inch and a half thick, with smaller, thinner branches) and it killed it off within a month.
You'll need Level 90 Woodcutting
BadMF26/04/2020 15:49

https://www.chemigro.co.uk/Professional-Use/Strong-Weedkiller/5-LITRE-GALLUP-XL-GLYPHOSATE-WEEDKILLER.aspxI got some of this stuff for my grandad. He put a bit of it (about 100ml, neat) near the root of a tree that was sprouting up (good inch and a half thick, with smaller, thinner branches) and it killed it off within a month.

That’s not how the vast majority of weed killers work, including that one.
tom2kadd126/04/2020 16:22

That’s not how the vast majority of weed killers work, including that one.

"GALLUP XL is a foliar acting total weed killer. Once sprayed the active substance in GALLUP XL enters the plant and is translocated throughout the leaves, stem and root system where it blocks important chemical processes and the plant goes into decline and dies. This is why is it can take up to three weeks for the chemical to do it's job"

Did the job!
deleted1793489

https://www.chemigro.co.uk/Professional-Use/Strong-Weedkiller/5-LITRE-GALLUP-XL-GLYPHOSATE-WEEDKILLER.aspxI got some of this stuff for my grandad. He put a bit of it (about 100ml, neat) near the root of a tree that was sprouting up (good inch and a half thick, with smaller, thinner branches) and it killed it off within a month.

+1 for this, stuff is lethal!
Can you post a picture so that it can be confirmed as ground elder?

I got some of this stuff for my grandad.

Seems like a fair swop. 😁
Edited by: "cuzzy" 26th Apr
cuzzy26/04/2020 18:28

Seems like a fair swop. 😁

He wasn’t even mad.
You need to cut/chop one of the branches, and with a mix of old engine oil and mud paste it onto the the open wound. The tree will "drink" this poison and the roots will die. Repeat the process every two weeks.
BadMF26/04/2020 16:26

"GALLUP XL is a foliar acting total weed killer. Once sprayed the active …"GALLUP XL is a foliar acting total weed killer. Once sprayed the active substance in GALLUP XL enters the plant and is translocated throughout the leaves, stem and root system where it blocks important chemical processes and the plant goes into decline and dies. This is why is it can take up to three weeks for the chemical to do it's job"Did the job!

Foliar relates to the leaves
This stuff will break down anything and is especially effective on tree stumps and woody brush.

mistralie.co.uk/pro…ate

Should be able to get it in 1kg packs as well.

And it breaks down into pure nitrogen as well, unlike the poisonous glysophate based compounds.
Edited by: "Copperface" 26th Apr
JimboParrot26/04/2020 18:22

Can you post a picture so that it can be confirmed as ground elder?

40549775-kVXI2.jpg
That's not the ground elder weed/plant. That could be an elder tree sapling in which case depending upon how it is growing, ie if just in a gap between slabs then I would cut it off as low as possible and put some 'killer' down. Which trees have you got growing nearby?

Ground elder is more ground cover although does grow taillish and has white flowers. It is very invasive and can quickly cover a flower bed. It has an amazing root system and once you have it is difficult to get rid off.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions