Expired

Best way to send a high value parcel?

Found 30th Jul 2013
Hey guys,

Never sent a high value item before, so wonder if anyone experienced in this could let me know....

I am planning on posting my huge 27" iMac which weighs around 14-16kg packaged. Rather large box too.

Which company would be best for this?

Need to be ensured for up to £1500.

What packaging would be required from me?

(and yes, I have googled it, just an overload of information so I hope someone who has done something like this before could help me out with some advice)

1. Ask
  2. Parcel
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Parcel
26 Comments

parcelmonkey.co.uk probably your best bet here. Basically they're the confused.com of the parcel world.

Your box dimensions are probably 51.7 x 65 x 20.7 after a quick Google on the iMac box dimensions.

Give it a go, but don't forget to add the £1500 cover, though.

We use Royal Mail Special delivery for everything.
Sending an imac should only cost about £40ish.
Cheaper than a courier after you have paid to fix the item that has been thrown over the garden wall.

Original Poster

preecey

parcelmonkey.co.uk probably your best bet here. Basically they're the … parcelmonkey.co.uk probably your best bet here. Basically they're the confused.com of the parcel world.Your box dimensions are probably 51.7 x 65 x 20.7 after a quick Google on the iMac box dimensions.Give it a go, but don't forget to add the £1500 cover, though.

Cheers mate, spotted parcel monkey but was a bit concerned by the old bad reviews online (damn you moany people!)

Have you used them before? Are they any good?

Original Poster

looop

We use Royal Mail Special delivery for everything. Sending an imac should … We use Royal Mail Special delivery for everything. Sending an imac should only cost about £40ish. Cheaper than a courier after you have paid to fix the item that has been thrown over the garden wall.

I'm planning to send to a buyer, so I need to be sure it arrives safely, so this may be a good option I suppose.

Will have a look for a price then.

How would I be required to parcel the item?
Edited by: "JusticeForThe96" 30th Jul 2013

make sure the insurance is valid for your imac

JusticeForThe96

Cheers mate, spotted parcel monkey but was a bit concerned by the old bad … Cheers mate, spotted parcel monkey but was a bit concerned by the old bad reviews online (damn you moany people!)Have you used them before? Are they any good?

Strictly speaking, I haven't, but I did use it to just compare the prices, then went on to the respective courier company directly and entered my details again.

Never sent anything that large before though. I usually use Collect+ for posting eBay parcels, but they only insure up to £300.

Original Poster

mattmerch

make sure the insurance is valid for your imac

Good suggestion cheers.

Original Poster

preecey

Strictly speaking, I haven't, but I did use it to just compare the … Strictly speaking, I haven't, but I did use it to just compare the prices, then went on to the respective courier company directly and entered my details again. Never sent anything that large before though. I usually use Collect+ for posting eBay parcels, but they only insure up to £300.

Fair enough mate, good advice. Thanks.

Parcel Monkey only appears to offer increased cover to £1000 anyway, so thats short of the value. Will try the options directly like you said.

Right just visited the Royal Mail site and your parcel dimensions are slightly higher than their standard parcels/special delivery limit.

Visited Parcelforce and entered everything in, and was quoted £82.16 with £1500 cover

Hope you find one that's cost effective!

JusticeForThe96

Good suggestion cheers.

^ This! Many courier companies do not insure for tvs/monitors etc so be careful.

Original Poster

preecey

Right just visited the Royal Mail site and your parcel dimensions are … Right just visited the Royal Mail site and your parcel dimensions are slightly higher than their standard parcels/special delivery limit.Visited Parcelforce and entered everything in, and was quoted £82.16 with £1500 cover :(Hope you find one that's cost effective!

I defo cannot use Parcel Monkey, as their list of exceptions here says no iMac's are covered!

Plus, £80-odd quid is way too much.
Edited by: "JusticeForThe96" 30th Jul 2013

Original Poster

cdm22

^ This! Many courier companies do not insure for tvs/monitors etc so be … ^ This! Many courier companies do not insure for tvs/monitors etc so be careful.

Yeah I will thanks.

Probably avoid Fed-Ex - here's why

why not just deliver it yourself ? if petrol money comes to around the postage cost.

Original Poster

preecey

Try DPD too:http://www.dpd.co.uk/forms/contact_sales_price_req.jsp

They're account only. Their sister company interlink do one off's, but only cover up to £750 per item. So no good i'm afraid.

Can't believe this is so difficult.

Original Poster

Daytrader

why not just deliver it yourself ? if petrol money comes to around the … why not just deliver it yourself ? if petrol money comes to around the postage cost.

Considered that, but i'm in Glasgow.... he's in Reading. 6 hours 9 minutes in the car. I drive a diesel, but thats still around 80 quid one way. So not possible.

Original Poster

preecey

Right just visited the Royal Mail site and your parcel dimensions are … Right just visited the Royal Mail site and your parcel dimensions are slightly higher than their standard parcels/special delivery limit.Visited Parcelforce and entered everything in, and was quoted £82.16 with £1500 cover :(Hope you find one that's cost effective!

Found the Royal Mail guaranteed option myself at £43 which is okay, but you're right, one of the dimensions of the box is a bit more than they permit, whereas one of them is a lot less. I might take the box down to the post office tomorrow and ask them directly.

Anyone got any suggestions on packaging that I would need to do?

Daytrader

why not just deliver it yourself ? if petrol money comes to around the … why not just deliver it yourself ? if petrol money comes to around the postage cost.

I would never recommend delivering high value items from eBay personally.

You're more at risk of PayPal chargebacks if the buyer is a conman. You have no proof that it was delivered to the buyer - a handwritten note from the buyer confirming receipt is not proof.

Source: I've been conned before by selling a first gen 64GB WiFi and 3G iPad on eBay days after its release. The buyer paid by PayPal and soon phoned me asking to collect, which I allowed him to do. I asked him to sign a note to prove he had received it personally. The day later I received a chargeback, all money reversed into the buyer's account and I didn't have a leg to stand on even after contacting the PayPal fraud team as "handwritten notes are not acceptable as proof of receipt". PayPal insisted that I should have posted it, so I could have had a chance at claiming for losses incurred.

I now only send high value items by insured courier services or if the buyer really wants to collect/have it personally delivered by myself, they MUST pay in cash.
Edited by: "preecey" 30th Jul 2013

Original Poster

okay, so went to the post office with the box, too big for their standard delivery option at £43, so would need to go parcelforce at £83 odds.... WITHOUT INSURANCE as they don't insure glass or breakable items!! INSANE!!

Managed to contact DHL, they would do it with full insurance for £74.88. Think I might just go for that one.

Banned

You're still considering posting this despite the warnings about PayPal and potential scam?

Original Poster

dimebars

You're still considering posting this despite the warnings about PayPal … You're still considering posting this despite the warnings about PayPal and potential scam?

If his money goes into my bank account, as per the other thread you were commenting on, then yes, of course I am.
Edited by: "JusticeForThe96" 31st Jul 2013

Mate, I sell high-value laptops on eBay and the best thing to do is use clickandsendparcels and use UPS as the delivery company. I measured up your box and the cost to send would be £45 insured to £1500. I've not a single problem with either clickandsend or UPS since I started using them earlier this year. They'll come and collect from an address convenient for you and deliver next day.

Hope it's useful and you get something sorted.

cheaperbythe12

Mate, I sell high-value laptops on eBay and the best thing to do is use … Mate, I sell high-value laptops on eBay and the best thing to do is use clickandsendparcels and use UPS as the delivery company. I measured up your box and the cost to send would be £45 insured to £1500. I've not a single problem with either clickandsend or UPS since I started using them earlier this year. They'll come and collect from an address convenient for you and deliver next day.Hope it's useful and you get something sorted.

if this can be confirmed sounds like the best option by some margin.

Original Poster

cheaperbythe12

Mate, I sell high-value laptops on eBay and the best thing to do is use … Mate, I sell high-value laptops on eBay and the best thing to do is use clickandsendparcels and use UPS as the delivery company. I measured up your box and the cost to send would be £45 insured to £1500. I've not a single problem with either clickandsend or UPS since I started using them earlier this year. They'll come and collect from an address convenient for you and deliver next day.Hope it's useful and you get something sorted.

cheaperbythe12

This option does indeed sound fantastic. I will investigate this today. Thanks for the heads up.

http://www.clickandsendparcel.com/getaQuote.php

use UPS.

You may need to register but it only takes a second. Let us know how you get on ;-)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions