Expired

Best way to soften up the leather on a new pair of shoes?

Found 26th Oct 2014
Tried the hairdryer trick didn't seem to work that well are there any good creams / oils that do work?

1. Ask
  2. Shoe
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Shoe
18 Comments

We wear Doc Martens shoes for work and my old colleague used to repeatedly drive over them until they softened. Bit extreme but them shoes kill!!

my mum used to say soap works never tried it though

damp newspaper rolled into balls and put in the shoes or fill the shoes with water and put in freezer.(would check if leather can be frozen),I did the freezer method with a pair of patent leather shoes to widen them.

I would recommend using saddle soap.

i don't get it..wheres the punchline john?

Original Poster

momartin

We wear Doc Martens shoes for work and my old colleague used to … We wear Doc Martens shoes for work and my old colleague used to repeatedly drive over them until they softened. Bit extreme but them shoes kill!!

Thanks

Original Poster

scaryvonne

Thank you
scaryvonne

Original Poster

shazzashops

damp newspaper rolled into balls and put in the shoes or fill the shoes … damp newspaper rolled into balls and put in the shoes or fill the shoes with water and put in freezer.(would check if leather can be frozen),I did the freezer method with a pair of patent leather shoes to widen them.

Thanks

Original Poster

Grill

I would recommend using saddle soap.

Thank you

Original Poster

maddogb

i don't get it..wheres the punchline john?

vaseline every time especially around the heel

Original Poster

joannewood3

vaseline every time especially around the heel

Thanks .. I'll give it a go..

If real leather - rolled up damp newspaper will help make the leather more malleable for a short time

But nothing much will stop the blisters etc from wearing new shoes as it's generally the heel area where friction/movement together with the stiffness of the design cause the soreness.

Put them in the microwave for 14 mins, will soften them right up.

Original Poster

philphil61

If real leather - rolled up damp newspaper will help make the leather … If real leather - rolled up damp newspaper will help make the leather more malleable for a short timeBut nothing much will stop the blisters etc from wearing new shoes as it's generally the heel area where friction/movement together with the stiffness of the design cause the soreness.

Thanks

Original Poster

ChrisUK

ChrisUK

cheers

Original Poster

dereklogan7

http://m.wikihow.com/Break-in-a-New-Pair-of-Shoes

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions