Best way to stop my bath squeaking

Found 11th Mar 2015
I got a new acrylic bath recently and the first muppet who started to install it didn't screw the supporting bars in properly.

I had to get another plumber to install it after the first guy bailed out, but he didn't check the supports were screwed in tightly.

So now my bath creaks and squeaks when I stand on it. I have tried to tighten the screws as much as possible but as they are under
the bath they are very difficult to get to, and one screw has fallen out (I can't get the leverage to force the U hinge back up to put the screw in).

I was thinking of using the silicon bath sealant all around the supports to reduce any movement. Any other recommendations to reduce or stop the movement of the bath against the support bars? Kind of reluctant to use a glue.
Community Updates
AskBathroom
15 Comments
try put some kind of board underneath and some bricks or battens to support the bath
When we had a fibreglass tub installed a few years ago, I got a friend of a friend to install it on the cheap.

He told me once the silicon had dried to get a length of wood JUST slightly longer than the height of the tub off the ground and "knock" it into the corners.

Worked a treat and the inexpensive tub never moved to made any sounds.

Not sure if there is a better way of doing it but worked for us.
katchiib

When we had a fibreglass tub installed a few years ago, I got a friend of … When we had a fibreglass tub installed a few years ago, I got a friend of a friend to install it on the cheap. He told me once the silicon had dried to get a length of wood JUST slightly longer than the height of the tub off the ground and "knock" it into the corners.Worked a treat and the inexpensive tub never moved to made any sounds.Not sure if there is a better way of doing it but worked for us.

katchib probably deserves best answer here best advice we got (just had our bath installed) The hinges provided are absokutely and the legs aint much better (betterbathrooms by any chance). Ok as your bath is already installed heres what I suggest:

1.Take off the bath panel
2. Strip the seal and unscrew from wall
3. pull the bath away from the wall slightly from here you have 2 options: a) the best option get a length of 2x4 your bath edge should have a lip all the way around underneath. lightly screw the piece of wood about 30inch long horizontal to the wall at bath height. lift the bath so the lip is over the wood and tighten it from underneath, its awkward but will never move. (REMEMBER FOR FUTURE)

failing that your pretty stuck you could try to wedge as already suggested, build an M frame to sit just behing the bath panel or pack it as much as possible underneath with bricks. Good luck and your installer was pathetic first thing mine said was the hinges are pointless.

It's supported by bricks at the moment, the noise comes from the bottom of the bath against the metal bars that are screwed underneath, so it's not wonky, just too flexible at the bottom.

I think it was better bathrooms actually - bad reputation?

The tub just squeezes in under the tiles, so I'll have to be careful knocking a support into the corners as it wont lift any further without damaging the tiles. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks.
If it's happening between the bath and the metal bars, would you be able to get enough movement between the two to wedge in some foam?
lose some weight? it creaks because you're too fat
ktm666

If it's happening between the bath and the metal bars, would you be able … If it's happening between the bath and the metal bars, would you be able to get enough movement between the two to wedge in some foam?

squirt some silicone between the bars and bath?
eset12345

lose some weight? it creaks because you're too fat

Ha - I'm just over 80kgs so unlikely.
Get two or three scissor jacks from a local scrap yard and use these underneath to support the weight instead of the bricks
I have been to similar problems. The way i get around it is get no nails and spread it along the rail on the bottom of the bath. Also brace the bath with a couple of lenghts of timber along the front of the bath behind the panel. Another good idea would be to fill the bath up to the top with water and then mask around the top and silicon around the edges and pull of the tape to jet a neat finish. Let it dry for 24 to 48 hours then remove all the water from the bath.
Thanks for the tip - didn't think of using masking tape with silicone - I'll give it a try, although I would have thought when you pull the masking tape off the silicone would come off as it does tend to stick together quite well.
Could you not fill the gaps underneath the bath with expanding foam from an aerosol can?
Couldn't actually see any visible gap, but that stuff turns out like polystyrene so don't think it would help.

I used silicone last night and it was ok this morning - but need to give it time to see if that will be enough.
Hi. Old post but will put this up for anyone else with the same problem. The bath is pushed too near to the wall leaving no gap for expansion when u stand in it. Leave a small gap and fill it in with silicon.
Zambiansteve

Hi. Old post but will put this up for anyone else with the same problem. … Hi. Old post but will put this up for anyone else with the same problem. The bath is pushed too near to the wall leaving no gap for expansion when u stand in it. Leave a small gap and fill it in with silicon.

It's not the wall that was the issue - it was the bottom of the bath against the supporting bar, or as it lifted from the bar/silicon. Think of it as when you pull a suction cup off a flat surface, it was like that.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants