best way to stream freeview?

Posted 30th Oct
My house does not have an aeriel and I am looking to stream freeview and ideally OnDemand programmes as well. I dont mind buying an old sky box, NowTV or android box, etc

What does everyone think is the best method?
Many thanks!!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
I access freeview in my bedroom via a plug in aerial. Also have a now tv box but hardly use it tbh.
chuckiedoll30/10/2019 21:28

I access freeview in my bedroom via a plug in aerial. Also have a now tv …I access freeview in my bedroom via a plug in aerial. Also have a now tv box but hardly use it tbh.

Interesting. Which aerial do you have? I have seen mixed reviews about the plug in aerial's
I have an SLX amplified aerial. I've fitted it on the outside of the house, but before I did that I used it indoors and it was /is brilliant. This is the one, though I bought mine off ebay for around £30.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 30th Oct
niffer130/10/2019 21:34

Interesting. Which aerial do you have? I have seen mixed reviews about the …Interesting. Which aerial do you have? I have seen mixed reviews about the plug in aerial's

I have this one
1 by one aerial
I have the Amazon Basics TV Aerial which is 11.99. It comes with double sided sticky and worked when I stuck it just above my TV. It didn't work when facing the window though, which I would have thought would get a better signal. You have to re-tune each time you move the aerial until you find a position that gets the best reception.
Get a firestick and you can add all the catch up stuff like 4OD & download TVplayer. It's not brilliant but has the basic stuff.
Buy a cheap TV aerial. Don't bother spending a lot. How good the aerial is more dependent on how far you live from a mast. I can get most of the Freeview channels , even in HD via cheap aerial. The TV will need to have built in Freeview.
Here is the aerial
amazon.co.uk/one…8-3
+1 to get a firestick, loads of legit apps and slightly questionable ones also.
Look for a second hand bt box on gumtree or Facebook marketplace. There called youview boxes, there great pause record rewind etc, then buy a wee ariel from currys or amazon and your all set for around £30-£50 depending on what deal you can snag. I did this for the mother in law recently and she's made up not paying sky anymore. Also no need for internet access unless you wanna access iplayer 4od etc
38859003-niXll.jpg
Do it properly and get a £15 aerial from screwfix and put it in your loft. Then get a humax dtr-t2100 500gb youview pvr from cex for £35 with a 2 year warranty
Any smart tv has all of them built in... just connect to the internet
Been really pleased with second hand BT 4k Youview box bought off Fleabay a couple of years back. Good up scaled picture and quality recordings. Plus it has Netflix , iplayer , etc. Also streams catch up from the last week directly from the program guide.
thanks all! I may end up getting a plug-in aerial. the Bt Youview box is a good idea as I can watch Catchup and record!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants