Expired

Best way to take sky from living room to bedroom

Found 29th May 2013
Hi guys I currently have sky+hd in my living room but want to take it in the bedroom as no one watches it in the living room apart from me. I rang sky to ask for multiroom but they want to charge me £10.25 per month and give me a new contract for 12 months. I don’t want to do that as I have an offer for half price for 12 months which expires in October. If I was to take multiroom I would pay half price until October and then will have to pay full price until the 12 month multiroom subscription expires.

Can anyone tell me a cheaper alternative to get sky in the bedroom? Should I just pay an engineer to install cables from the satellite dish in my room and just take the box upstairs or is there a better way?
Community Updates
AskSky
14 Comments
Just move the (dish) cables to the bedroom, it isn't rocket science.
dcx_badass

Take the box upstairs or run Sky Go on a laptop and plug that in.

But I don’t have the cables installed in my room from the satellite dish to connect the sky+hd box.

Also I would like to watch channels other than sky. Doesn’t skyGo only have sky channels?
depending on the channels u want why dont u just get a pre paid box or freeview...
i used hdmi splitter and hdmi extender over cat 5 network cable. worked very well, except when you want to change channels as my remote transmitter didn't work too well going from down stairs to upstairs.
Depending on the location of your dish/bedroom, just pull the satellite cables out of the living room wall, drill small hole in to bedroom wall, push cables through and refit to your Sky Receiver.
vinsona85

i used hdmi splitter and hdmi extender over cat 5 network cable. worked … i used hdmi splitter and hdmi extender over cat 5 network cable. worked very well, except when you want to change channels as my remote transmitter didn't work too well going from down stairs to upstairs.

This,

i'm using the same, but with an ir transmitter over hdmi, to change channels, works a treat if u connect it up right
Edited by: "Jace_Phoenix" 29th May 2013
You could get a digital eye and you have one in the living room next to the sky box then one in the bedroom, then you can watch in both rooms, but it has to be the same channel.
You could move your bed into the living room.
Ok thanks guys. I think I will get a local company to install new cables from the existing satellite through to my bedroom and also keep the existing cables in the living room just in case in the future I want to take the box downstairs again.
jayjayuk1234

This, i'm using the same, but with an ir transmitter over hdmi, to change … This, i'm using the same, but with an ir transmitter over hdmi, to change channels, works a treat if u connect it up right

We now have multiroom as they offered it at the same price as just having the one sky box when our contract ran out and we said we wanted to leave. Do you have a link to this so I can possibly buy in the future when we have to cancel multiroom for being too expensive (which they probs will after this years contract runs out). Thanks jayjay.
vinsona85

We now have multiroom as they offered it at the same price as just having … We now have multiroom as they offered it at the same price as just having the one sky box when our contract ran out and we said we wanted to leave. Do you have a link to this so I can possibly buy in the future when we have to cancel multiroom for being too expensive (which they probs will after this years contract runs out). Thanks jayjay.

These are the IR injectors i purchased, however, they are currently unavailable... but they should all work the same..

amazon.co.uk/Cab…OCG

The trick is to make sure you put the IR injectors at the right point on the HDMI Cable, otherwise they won't work.

ie
Sky Box ---> HDMI Splitter ---> Splitter output to 2nd room ---> IR Injector Transmitter ---> HDMI Cable ---> HDMI Extender Transmitter ------cat5e------- > HDMI Extender Receiver ----> HDMI Cable -----> IR Injector Receiver ----> TV

If you put the IR transmitter before the HDMI splitter, the splitter will filter out the CEC data, (which is being used for IR), and it never reaches the other end! many people get this problem and give up!- Therefore if you add the injectors after the splitter ( as shown above ) it will work absolutely fine.

You also need to ensure the HDMI cable, and extender supports CEC

Just use a Magic Eye which you can buy for a few pounds online.
great-deals

Just use a Magic Eye which you can buy for a few pounds online.

Magic eye uses RF doesn't it? ............it's 2013, does anyone use RF anymore?

I would use this method as a 'Last Resort' rather than a current solution
For one room to another it works very well. We installed point boxes in all rooms so can send the signal to all rooms and view on any monitor. To actually change the channel the Magic Eye comes in use. Signal is excellent on main tv and standard analogue cables would reduce quality so we installed CAT5. Magic Eye was about £2 delivered so this kind of cost for the benefits is perfect for us.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions