Best WiFi Router?

Found 16th Dec 2017
Looking to replace my Sky router due to poor WiFi. I have Sky Fibre.

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced one please?

Thanks
Community Updates
AskElectronics
9 Comments
I used a BT hub 5 as a wifi bridge hub on my SSE broadband as the Thompson box was so rubbish and it worked well
I was running homehub 5 but found signal wasn’t good, replaced it with a rt-ac5300 and it’s done wonders full signal and speeds no matter where anyone is in the house
Choosing the correct router means you need to understand what you want from it. If you want a gaming router then read up on those, if you want something that deals with a lot of connected devices look at those, if you want something with a massive signal range then you can look at mesh, if you want all those requirements consider hard wiring your gaming rig and then choosing by your next most important requirement.
cmdr_elito24 m ago

Choosing the correct router means you need to understand what you want …Choosing the correct router means you need to understand what you want from it. If you want a gaming router then read up on those, if you want something that deals with a lot of connected devices look at those, if you want something with a massive signal range then you can look at mesh, if you want all those requirements consider hard wiring your gaming rig and then choosing by your next most important requirement.

I want something better than the Sky Q hub lol WiFi signal is fine, but the speeds via WiFi are 75% less than what I get wired.
I am with Sky and I have been told from the technical team that the Sky hub 2 is much better for fibre than sky hubQ . Ask Sky to send you a Sky Hub2 rather than the updated skyhub Q
superfreddy10 h, 56 m ago

I want something better than the Sky Q hub lol WiFi signal is fine, but …I want something better than the Sky Q hub lol WiFi signal is fine, but the speeds via WiFi are 75% less than what I get wired.

That would indicate that your signal is not ok. You have some interference or that you are using older devices which are limited to slower speeds, on some routers this then limits all other devices to the same speed.

I would recommend a dual or tri band router and something with beam forming. This coupled with a review of your devices should help speed things up for you. Older WiFi printers, scanners or mobile phones/tablets are usually the culprit, by using a dual or triband router you can leave these devices on the 2.4ghz side and use the 5ghz side for your faster devices.

The 5ghz range will be a lot less than the 2.4ghz range so bear this in mind when positioning your router.

I’ve used tp link routers for a while and find these to be a good on balance with functionality and price.
Thanks. I've tried splitting the networks on Sky router but this made speeds worse.

Can you recommend a router for me please?
I need one when onto Sky FAQ and someone that works for Sky recommend BT which we got via TCB from curry's works great
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants