best wifi router for talktalk

Found 3rd Jan 2015
I would like a good replacement router idealy it will have a modem built in. Price range would be upto £150. I am currently on a talktalk FIBRE L with a HG633 router and having lots of wifi errors. I have been online 24 hours and had over 2mil. I only started to investigate this matter as my internet speed isn't great over wifi (20mb) compared to LAN (60MB). I have noticed issues with video playback in my bedroom since i got this router. Any help appreciated.
Community Updates
AskRouter
18 Comments
Mike , might be worth updating the drivers on you laptop etc
When we had bt fibre installed we had 78mb wired
And 20mb wireless on our laptop
Updated drivers on our laptop and its 78mb wireless now
Although my samsung tablet drivers i cant updated and thats around 20mb
Original Poster
thanks Bradleigh I will have a go, but its the same on android and apple phones so i am guesisng its the router.

I am looking at NETGEAR D7000-100UKS Nighthawk AC1900 anyone got any opinions
Check if you need a VDSL or ADSL, I suspect a VDSL. If so I just swapped my BT router for a Linksys W9980 which is a revelation on the WiFi speed and coverage. Around £70.00 from ebuyer, or anywhere really. Might be better but worked for me.
Thus model does not need a separate modem by the way
Lazyoaf

Check if you need a VDSL or ADSL, I suspect a VDSL. If so I just swapped … Check if you need a VDSL or ADSL, I suspect a VDSL. If so I just swapped my BT router for a Linksys W9980 which is a revelation on the WiFi speed and coverage. Around £70.00 from ebuyer, or anywhere really. Might be better but worked for me. Thus model does not need a separate modem by the way

You mean Tp-Link W9980? Just bought one myself for £34.26 from the amazon warehouse with the 30% off thing. Replacing my EE Brightbox which is absolutely terrible. Speed is very poor across just two large ish rooms and through just one wall.
Sorry, yes it's tplink (damn auto complete) mine is fine. You using both the wireless frequencies, ? 1 is slower than the other so which one you connected to?
do you have direct Link to amazon for Tp-Link W9980 as can only see it for £50 quid
Original Poster
justanothercid

do you have direct Link to amazon for Tp-Link W9980 as can only see it … do you have direct Link to amazon for Tp-Link W9980 as can only see it for £50 quid

The 30% off deal has finished
ah OK that's rubbish Any other recommends for the £30 mark?
Try forcing your devices to use the 5GHz radio of the HG633 router.

To do that log into the router configuration page, click on customise wireless network and change just the 5GHz SSID/network name to something else. Now force the iPhone to connect to the new network name, using the same password as before.

The 2.4GHz band is a very crowded place and can hence give mixed results. While 5GHz is not as good at penetrating walls it may still give you a better connection, simply because there are less devices nearby using it.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 3rd Jan 2015
Original Poster
SUMMONER

Try forcing your devices to use the 5GHz radio of the HG633 router.To do … Try forcing your devices to use the 5GHz radio of the HG633 router.To do that log into the router configuration page, click on customise wireless network and change just the 5GHz SSID/network name to something else. Now force the iPhone to connect to the new network name, using the same password as before.The 2.4GHz band is a very crowded place and can hence give mixed results. While 5GHz is not as good at penetrating walls it may still give you a better connection, simply because there are less devices nearby using it.

I have already tried that today still no better, who would have thought choosing a new modem router would be so hard.
Lazyoaf

Sorry, yes it's tplink (damn auto complete) mine is fine. You using … Sorry, yes it's tplink (damn auto complete) mine is fine. You using both the wireless frequencies, ? 1 is slower than the other so which one you connected to?

Haven't got mine yet, coming Thursday.
mike1212

I have already tried that today still no better, who would have thought … I have already tried that today still no better, who would have thought choosing a new modem router would be so hard.

It is hard if you limit yourself to £30.
You could buy a decent wireless extender for 30 quid, go on trusted reviews and search for them, to get a recommendation for your budget.

I had the same problem with EE - 3 failed routers, one within 24 hours of receiving it. I was told I could only use the EE router - wrong!! I went for this NETGEAR D6400-100UKS AC1600 Dual Band 300+1300 Mbps Wireless VDSL/ADSL Absolutely fantastic router and has both 2.4 and 5GHz.. for info, don't try to connect older devices to the 5GHz channel.. it doesn't work. BTW, I am on EE Fastfibre...

MIDURIX

You mean Tp-Link W9980? Just bought one myself for £34.26 from the amazon … You mean Tp-Link W9980? Just bought one myself for £34.26 from the amazon warehouse with the 30% off thing. Replacing my EE Brightbox which is absolutely terrible. Speed is very poor across just two large ish rooms and through just one wall.

Edited by: "Splodger101" 3rd Jan 2015
Splodger101

I had the same problem with EE - 3 failed routers, one within 24 hours of … I had the same problem with EE - 3 failed routers, one within 24 hours of receiving it. I was told I could only use the EE router - wrong!! I went for this NETGEAR D6400-100UKS AC1600 Dual Band 300+1300 Mbps Wireless VDSL/ADSL Absolutely fantastic router and has both 2.4 and 5GHz.. for info, don't try to connect older devices to the 5GHz channel.. it doesn't work. BTW, I am on EE Fastfibre...

All the pictures online for EE have the Brightbox 1 for broadband and Brightbox 2 for fibre. They sent me a standard Brightbox from 2011, which is just a rebranded Orange router from over 5 years ago! ha. Phoned them up and they said they can send what they like. It is just standard broadband I have at about 18-20Mb and when downloading at full network transfers go at 0-20kB/s because the network is maxed out.If I unplug the internet and have the router on a massive extension and hold it at arms length from the two devices I am transferring from and to it doesn't make much different. Never had this problem with the BT home hub.
Lazyoaf

Sorry, yes it's tplink (damn auto complete) mine is fine. You using … Sorry, yes it's tplink (damn auto complete) mine is fine. You using both the wireless frequencies, ? 1 is slower than the other so which one you connected to?

Got the router now. I have it setup as normal so 5Ghz has one SSID and 2.4Ghz has another. Have everything apart from phone and tablet connected to 2.4Ghz. 5Ghz has nowhere near as good a range, so have stuff like WDTV box on 2.4Ghz because they struggle anyway. Great router though.
MIDURIX

Got the router now. I have it setup as normal so 5Ghz has one SSID and … Got the router now. I have it setup as normal so 5Ghz has one SSID and 2.4Ghz has another. Have everything apart from phone and tablet connected to 2.4Ghz. 5Ghz has nowhere near as good a range, so have stuff like WDTV box on 2.4Ghz because they struggle anyway. Great router though.

5ghz is less crowded so has less interfernce, but yes its range is limited. Might be overkill, but something like a BT 11ac Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 1200 (this one came top on trusted reviews,com and I can vouch for it personally as well) that can also extend the 5ghz and you will have about the best setup possible as you can then add a few more devices to the 5ghz band... The crusade for the best WiFi It never ends lol

Edited by: "Lazyoaf" 4th Jan 2016
Lazyoaf

5ghz is less crowded so has less interfernce, but yes its range is … 5ghz is less crowded so has less interfernce, but yes its range is limited. Might be overkill, but something like a BT 11ac Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 1200 (this one came top on trusted reviews,com and I can vouch for it personally as well) that can also extend the 5ghz and you will have about the best setup possible as you can then add a few more devices to the 5ghz band... The crusade for the best WiFi It never ends lol

I've already changed the pci card, which was an incredibly minor upgrade.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants