Best Wireless Router for Virgin Media 20MB?

Found 1st Feb 2008
I've recently upgraded my broadband speed with Virgin Media to their XL package.
However my old wireless router is only 802.11b. Can anyone recommend a decent upgrade for me?

12 Comments

To be honest, most dsl routers struggle with 20Mb cable, I would go for a netgear though.

will this one work? as im just about to buy it and im on the same package as you?

hotukdeals.com/ite…ir/

I have this one for my 20mb connection

ebuyer.com/pro…215

works great!

Sh0rty;1530337

will this one work? as im just about to buy it and im on the same package … will this one work? as im just about to buy it and im on the same package as you?http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/137404/buffalo-airstation-whr-g54s-dsl-wir/

Those are quite bad actually, that Linksys is alright though.

I use a Cisco router for mine, then again, I'm a bit flash like that ;-)

Original Poster

I'm looking for something that can be used as a VPN also.
Any ideas? The IT geek at work said the best ones are Draytek?

Draytek are decent but expensive.

Spark;1530334

To be honest, most dsl routers struggle with 20Mb cable, I would go for a … To be honest, most dsl routers struggle with 20Mb cable, I would go for a netgear though.

DSL will not work with virgin 20mb as it is cable not phone line. I am using a Belkin Router like this one ebuyer.com/pro…318 and have been for a few years with no probs on my 20mb. My m8 just got one like this and also works gr8. This is the one i would get. Easy to set-up and to use

zeus9876;1530669

DSL will not work with virgin 20mb as it is cable not phone line. I am … DSL will not work with virgin 20mb as it is cable not phone line. I am using a Belkin Router like this one http://www.ebuyer.com/product/80318 and have been for a few years with no probs on my 20mb. My m8 just got one like this and also works gr8. This is the one i would get. Easy to set-up and to use

It is ADSL that will not work with cable, DSL is what you want & if you can afford it a MIMO version if wireless connection required it would be best for signal strength for distance or thick walls.

Thanks for the correction

ebuyer.com/pro…222

This is VERY good for the price. It gives me the max speed wherever i go in my 1930's house (thick walls), the connection doesnt drop out and it offers faster speed than the average routers. If you dont beleive me then search for the same router on Amazons site and there tons of reviews for this router thats used with VM broadband that state it is perfect.

If you are planning on streaming HD you will need to go for N series like the Linksys one linked above. Look around to get the adaptor as well in a package as they are relatively expensive to buy on their own. Been comtemplating upgrading to N series for a while now.

im just looking for one to attach to my pc downstairs

and then i will put an access point in my room for my xbox psp etc to catch onto

so is there a certain access point i should be looking for aswell?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. daily mail comp - win a trip to queensland - comp closes 8th november, 201766
    2. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition50428
    3. Win the Diono Quantum travel system, worth £500 @ Netmums11
    4. Win free gin for a year88

See more discussions