Best wireless router to use with virgin superhub 3?

Posted 10th Dec 2018
Wifi in the house is'nt the best in 2 of the bedrooms, i bought a wifi extender and set it up it has good signal but no better than the superhub in the 2 bedrooms again even though its nearer to them, So thinking of turning on router mode and getting a new wifi router. Its mainly for surfing, streaming movies and netflix as my game consoles and pc are hard wired to the router. So it dosent have to be all sing and dancing just a reasonable priced router what i know will do the job.

Any recomendations?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
We got the Archer C2 ac750 and have had no problems
Depends on speed but if you're hitting 350mbit then the netgear r7800 is the best buy. Don't buy the WRT32x as it can't cut it and throttles badly. Annoys the hell out me that reviewers never test the router on fast connections, who buys a super fast WiFi router with a 50mbit connection.
Recently joined Virgin, I find their hub to be rather poor for Wifi even in the next room. Been looking at the Netgear r7800, looks like the most sensible choice for the 350meg connection.
I just bought this because it was on a lightning deal. I know nothing about this sort of thing but it seems ok. Paying for 200mb from virgin. My iPhone goes to normally about 170 and my Xbox wired in goes to about 270

D-Link DIR-878 Dual Band EXO... amazon.co.uk/dp/…swf
Edited by: "marshy51" 10th Dec 2018
Thanks everyone I will look at them all
kester7610/12/2018 17:46

Depends on speed but if you're hitting 350mbit then the netgear r7800 is …Depends on speed but if you're hitting 350mbit then the netgear r7800 is the best buy. Don't buy the WRT32x as it can't cut it and throttles badly. Annoys the hell out me that reviewers never test the router on fast connections, who buys a super fast WiFi router with a 50mbit connection.

What causes it to throttle?
I have a Virgin SH3 and lots of wireless devices and it performed poorly, I’ve had BT Whole home Mesh system and it’s transformed the WiFi i my house.
rev61 h, 37 m ago

Not sure but looks like the firewall can't handle the throughput. It can hit 300mbps at 1st and then drops to about 90mbps. Then again it could just be a firmware issue. My money is on a hardware limitation as none of the SH2s have the issue but only the SH3 can hit the higher speeds.

At 1st I thought it was the SH3 at fault but looking into other routers about the same CPU performance showed similar issues.
rev610/12/2018 19:04

Gave it one last chance before I boxed it off and sent it back to Amazon. Turned out that the "Killer Prioritised gaming engine" is the problem and disabling its slow ass is the solution.
kester7614/12/2018 11:47

Gave it one last chance before I boxed it off and sent it back to Amazon. …Gave it one last chance before I boxed it off and sent it back to Amazon. Turned out that the "Killer Prioritised gaming engine" is the problem and disabling its slow ass is the solution.

Really good to know. I "upgraded" to a SH2ac from the SH3 because of latency issues so I'm not able to go any quicker than 200Mbps right now.
rev63 h, 40 m ago

Really good to know. I "upgraded" to a SH2ac from the SH3 because of …Really good to know. I "upgraded" to a SH2ac from the SH3 because of latency issues so I'm not able to go any quicker than 200Mbps right now.

I don't think you really need to as most wireless devices can't hit much more than that. Wifi on the WRT32x is pretty good with me getting 200mbit on the other side of the house.
With an router set up and using a superhub as a modem will anything on virgins end influence the speeds at all or once done is it all down to the new router you have set up?
marshy5115th Dec

With an router set up and using a superhub as a modem will anything on …With an router set up and using a superhub as a modem will anything on virgins end influence the speeds at all or once done is it all down to the new router you have set up?

Should be down to new router, that’s why I’m going down the route as the super hub 3 is rubbish
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants