Expired

Best xbmc media player streaming device? for TV? better than atv 2

Found 30th Jan 2013
i want to buy a streaming device media player for my tv, which can play local files i have stored on my computer etc and also allow me to install xbmc? what device is worth buying?

i dont want rasberry pi, it seems complicated and i've heard its slow? maybe something faster and quick plug n play

any advice..
Community Updates
82 Comments
A netbook with Hdmi out. See them for as little as £149 guaranteed to play everything and future proof.
I got an Optiplex 760 USFF for mine off ebay, very cheap and sits nicely under the TV. Run a DVI to HDMI cable for the video to the TV and a 3.5mm audio cable for the audio.
I have mine dual booting with Windows 7. Its not plug and play but a cheap route, plenty of online guides around to show you how to configure this.
Edited by: "sinjin_smythe" 30th Jan 2013
Acer Revo

Hp Microserver

hotukdeals.com/mis…=87

But whatever you buy you still got to set it all up
Edited by: "OldEnglish" 30th Jan 2013
I wanted a device which boots up quickly and straight into the media server....like xbmc etc

is it possibly to play files from my laptop wirelessly via a programme like xbmc ? etc
wakkaday

I wanted a device which boots up quickly and straight into the media … I wanted a device which boots up quickly and straight into the media server....like xbmc etcis it possibly to play files from my laptop wirelessly via a programme like xbmc ? etc

isn't the WD media player supposed to be the danglies? amazon.co.uk/WD-…8-1
wakkaday

I wanted a device which boots up quickly and straight into the media … I wanted a device which boots up quickly and straight into the media server....like xbmc etcis it possibly to play files from my laptop wirelessly via a programme like xbmc ? etc

Yes either of the above will boot straight into Xbmc if you put xbmcbuntu on or openelec?
Id recommed a set of home plugs for streaming video as wireless streaming can give problems especially with HD content. I had a
300 mb wireless network at home and had issues streaming reliably which vanished when I used the homeplugs.
I would recommend you use OPENELEC version of XBMC if you want to boot straight into XBMC like an appliance, mines loads in about 7 seconds with a standard hard drive.
ok that's not bad. im new to all this but if i have a for example blu ray rips on my laptop harddrive.... can the my media device locate the blu ray movie files wirelessly and play them? is this what xbmc will allow me to do too?

i wanted a quick cheap set up? what acer revo model would you recommend?
*cough*

isn't the WD media player supposed to be the danglies? amazon.co.uk/WD-…8-1
But you can't install xbmc on the wd media player etc?
wakkaday

But you can't install xbmc on the wd media player etc?

Dunno much about this tbh. I was just offering what I know to be a popular method of streaming your stuff.
ok thanks, is a mac mini a possible media server device to purchase?
wakkaday

ok thanks, is a mac mini a possible media server device to purchase?

Try posting in a couple of these threads. Loads of nerdishness in them. I'm sure you'll find what you need.
hotukdeals.com/mis…929
hotukdeals.com/mis…453
wakkaday

ok that's not bad. im new to all this but if i have a for example blu ray … ok that's not bad. im new to all this but if i have a for example blu ray rips on my laptop harddrive.... can the my media device locate the blu ray movie files wirelessly and play them? is this what xbmc will allow me to do too? i wanted a quick cheap set up? what acer revo model would you recommend?

Yes thats what xbmc will allow you to do set up shares to stream to your tv

The WD media player deek is talking about will let you stream the same content to your tv but you can't put xbmc on it. Boxee box is a good alternative streaming device + you can run Navi-x on it, not as good as xbmc but a straight out of the box plug & play it's well worth a look & it looks good imo. Very simple to set up

Edited by: "OldEnglish" 30th Jan 2013
Just get an Android TV stick (mk808, mk809, UG802 etc)

You should be able to pick one up for around £30 delivered. XMBC works great and uses MX Player transparently to play HD content smoothly using the GPU.

Just get a decent spec one (dual core with separate gpu) and it will work great. Can stream from a NAS or play direct from USB.

Fairly future proof and can do millions of other things just like a tablet.

You may just need something to control it with, a USB keyboard/mouse will work . I got an airmouse/keyboard for an extra £17
thanks, thats a good suggestion and may work out cheaper then an apple tv... / android stick...
deeky

Try posting in a couple of these threads. Loads of nerdishness in them. … Try posting in a couple of these threads. Loads of nerdishness in them. I'm sure you'll find what you need. http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/official-hp-microserver-owners-thread-1160929http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/official-xbmc-thread-1358453

They look like great threads!!!
I've been looking into this recently as I'm tempted to get rid of my Apple TV while it still has some value attached to it. The Sumvision Nano Slim+ looks to be a great option. Its basically the UK version of the Pivos Xios, which from what I've briefly read one of the better options for for XBMC as it has hardware video decoding. Its similar to the Android sticks but is an actual box like an AppleTV and comes with a wireless air mouse remote. Its definitely worth looking into some more.
the sumvision has poor reviews on amazon....?
which air mouse keyboard did you buy?
i am thinking of mk809 so how would i install xbmc would i do everything via tv.. it seems good
wakkaday

the sumvision has poor reviews on amazon....?

Yeah I saw the amazon reviews too which is why I'm looking into a bit more first. XMBC has just been released for android around a week ago so that now works on it. Plus XBMC is being developed for the Pivos Xios (US version of the nano+)

The Mikdundee guy has obviously never used XBMC before as he complains about it being a hassle to set up and ideally you shouldn't really be using WiFi for streaming video anyway if you can help it, which is why I'm avoiding the android TV sticks. The Netflix not working is the main worrying thing for me, so i'll be looking into that. There's also the possibility that he may have received a dud one.

Check YouTube etc for recent Pivos XIOS DS XBMC videos if your interested in one.
But most devices would have to stream wirelessly unless some accept Ethernet?

I wanted xbmc for the addons and the possibility of it connecting to my computer and play files from that? Not sure if I need A nas drive or some sort of server set up on laptop to allow the latter to happen

I've got a WD live tv upstairs and a Raspberry PI running Xbian downstairs. The PI is miles better, runs faster and cost 1/3 of the price of the WD.

Setting it up required a bit more effort though but worth it. And at the price you can give it a try and sell it in if it's not for you.
Are rasberry pis not out of stock and isn't there a waiting list or something ? And you have to buy all the bits seperately ?
wakkaday

But most devices would have to stream wirelessly unless some accept … But most devices would have to stream wirelessly unless some accept Ethernet?I wanted xbmc for the addons and the possibility of it connecting to my computer and play files from that? Not sure if I need A nas drive or some sort of server set up on laptop to allow the latter to happen

Setup of the android sticks is simple - just install the xbmc app and the mx player app. The latest xbmc does hardware decoding with no tweaking (through the use of mx player) You can also install every other android app going (surf the web, email, angry birds etc). The only restriction is apps which use portrait mode, but I think there is an app to force them the other way.

Wireless is OK for streaming HD providing you get a good signal. I have just purchased a USB Ethernet adapter to test, it was less than £3 on ebay and will fingers crossed let me plug straight into the network and should give the most stable connection.

Airmouse - I went for an IpazzPort. It's iphone sized - Qwerty keyboard, and air mouse all in one unit - rechargeable battery too. Works really well as a mouse.
I've got a WD live tv upstairs and a Raspberry PI running Xbian downstairs. The PI is miles better, runs faster and cost 1/3 of the price of the WD.

Setting it up required a bit more effort though but worth it. And at the price you can give it a try and sell it in if it's not for you.
wakkaday

But most devices would have to stream wirelessly unless some accept … But most devices would have to stream wirelessly unless some accept Ethernet?I wanted xbmc for the addons and the possibility of it connecting to my computer and play files from that? Not sure if I need A nas drive or some sort of server set up on laptop to allow the latter to happen

You don't need a server or nas, you'll just have to leave your laptop on in order to stream. A nas/server would be a good addition though.

ok thanks, which is the best android stick to get at the moment? does it boot straight into xbmc or would i have to click to open it in the android os?

thats fine if i need to need to leave laptop on, but i would need to configure the folders that they can be shared? and put the link in xbmc...

is the playback good? of ice films / 1 channel etc
could i connect mk809 this directly to my sony tv which has a usb port, or would i need addtional power plug? what would you reccomend thats cheap and works? (if needed)

and as for the addtional remote. would you say thats really needed? and is that easy to set up? i wouldnt need to buy anything else would i?
wakkaday

ok thanks, which is the best android stick to get at the moment? does it … ok thanks, which is the best android stick to get at the moment? does it boot straight into xbmc or would i have to click to open it in the android os?thats fine if i need to need to leave laptop on, but i would need to configure the folders that they can be shared? and put the link in xbmc...is the playback good? of ice films / 1 channel etc

I don't have an android stick but would guess it won't boot straight to it.

Yes you would need to have your folders 'shared' and tell xbmc where they are.

If you solely want it for xbmc then I would save up and get an acer revo, stick Openelec or xbmcbuntu on it and it will be perfect
i think an android stick may be easier, if it allows streaming and can connect to my main pc for playback of 1080p movies. the acer revo would be a waste of money...

i just hope playback is good quality...

i was considering an acer revo rl300 i think it was, but i wouldnt require alll that hd space, usb port etc...
wakkaday

ok thanks, which is the best android stick to get at the moment? does it … ok thanks, which is the best android stick to get at the moment? does it boot straight into xbmc or would i have to click to open it in the android os?thats fine if i need to need to leave laptop on, but i would need to configure the folders that they can be shared? and put the link in xbmc...is the playback good? of ice films / 1 channel etc

Mine comes to Android then you click to start the app. I did look into starting it automatically but couldn't find the perfect solution (didn't try too hard though) - there were various apps on the market to try.

wakkaday

could i connect mk809 this directly to my sony tv which has a usb port, … could i connect mk809 this directly to my sony tv which has a usb port, or would i need addtional power plug? what would you reccomend thats cheap and works? (if needed)and as for the addtional remote. would you say thats really needed? and is that easy to set up? i wouldnt need to buy anything else would i?

USB - may work off your telly but they reckon most peoples sttability problems are down to doing this - you can try it, if you get random resets etc then it means it's running out of power. They recommend a 2ah USB power supply (Nexus 7 charger is 2A) or you can power it from a mains powered hub providing it gives 2ah per port. (useful as you can use the hub to plug more things in)

Remote - You will need something to control it. Everything I have tried has been plug and play. You can either use a USB wired or wireless keyboard/mouse, an airmouse/keyboard (very handy - just has a little receiver which plugs into the usb port), or there are a few apps which let you use another android device as the remote. So you can use your phone or tablet as a remote if needed.

You can also set upnp up which works quite nicely. The android stick can become a renderer, your laptop could be the library. You can then use any device to pick what and where to play. I've used that in the following scenario:

Android stick set up as renderer (option to enable this in xbmc)
NAS drive set up as library.
Android tablet using Bubble Upnp.

Using the tablet I can view the media on the NAS drive and add it to a playlist etc, I can set the TV stick as the renderer. When I click play it instantly starts on the TV stick. FFWD rewind etc all work. Once playback has started I can switch off the tablet and it continues to play.
ive been using a tablet with xbmc it runs ok but struggles with sum 720p files.i guess
its the processor or maybe my wireless connection? the router says 2.4ghz 802.11
b/g Ethernet port (10/100 mbps) anyone know about wireless connections.
im either going to get a better spec tablet with HDMI out or Apple tv 2..
Would the Apple tv 1 be better with the hard drive to play stored media from
movies/albums ?

i have xmbc running on my phone/tablet and a 2006 mac book but would
want a straight hdmi hook up with best picture Quality available.

Edited by: "bbbruce" 1st Feb 2013
What's the steaming quality like on an android stick if I am using xbmc addons?

Thanks for the useful info and set up solutions
wakkaday

What's the steaming quality like on an android stick if I am using xbmc … What's the steaming quality like on an android stick if I am using xbmc addons?Thanks for the useful info and set up solutions

I am on ice cream sandwich and I find it over cooks my carrots.
I am very happy with my Raspberry Pi running RaspBMC. I guess it may be slower than other options but that hasnt bothered me. I guess it depends how much you value your time if you have to wait a second more when navigating a menu?
excellent thread with lots of useful info.
nbuuifx

Setup of the android sticks is simple - just install the xbmc app and the … Setup of the android sticks is simple - just install the xbmc app and the mx player app. The latest xbmc does hardware decoding with no tweaking (through the use of mx player) You can also install every other android app going (surf the web, email, angry birds etc). The only restriction is apps which use portrait mode, but I think there is an app to force them the other way.Wireless is OK for streaming HD providing you get a good signal. I have just purchased a USB Ethernet adapter to test, it was less than £3 on ebay and will fingers crossed let me plug straight into the network and should give the most stable connection.Airmouse - I went for an IpazzPort. It's iphone sized - Qwerty keyboard, and air mouse all in one unit - rechargeable battery too. Works really well as a mouse.

you got a link to the air mouse you have? quite a few different models.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants