Best Xiaomi phone for camera and photography? Mi note 10 vs older / lite mi 8 mi 9 flagship?

Posted 14th Jun
Hi,

Looking for some advice:

I've been a Xiaomi fan for several years and want to stick with the brand. I had an accident with my Mi 8 (which was an amazing phone) and I'm looking to replace it.

Not sure whether to replace it like for like for around £200, or spend more for something more future proof. If the latter, I wanted to spend no more than £350 but now considering a little, smidge bit more if something is incredible and will last me a few years.

Priorities for me are the camera and screen as I'm an artist and don't want to carry a separate camera around, and want to edit on the go. Storage a priority too to hold photos and apps. I do a lot of video calls (moreso during lockdown!) so decent selfie camera and adequate sound a must too. Something not too phablet like and bulky would be preferable - I've got small lady hands and small pockets! I'm not a gamer, so processor speed isn't essential, but at the same time I wouldn't want to experience crashes. Finally, I'm after a global version.

I think I'm settled on Xiaomi mi note 10 due to 108mp camera, strong battery life and price point, but am now doubting myself as to whether the camera, despite its many megapixels, is better than an older flagship camera of lower spec.

Toying between mi note 10, or a bit more for pro, or would an older flagship like mi 9 (and its variants like lite, 9t) or mi 10 lite be better? I can't afford the mi 10 pricepoint.

There was a great deal posted for my old mi 8 on here that I was tempted by, (as I say, I was very happy with mine) but I'm not sure if I'd still want that older phone in 1-2years time. If I'm spending over £350 I'll definitely not want to replace any time soon.

Whichever model I plump for, I'm only happy when I've bagged myself a right good bargain!

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these models or have any other suggestions? If so, I'd be grateful! Thanks a lot x
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
> Xiaomi mi note 10 due to 108mp camera
I don't have advice about the phone, but I want to address this bit in case you were not aware. Higher megapixel does not mean better quality at all. My £1500 dslr is only 24 megapixel. What matters is the quality of the sensor and the software that processes the image on the phone. 108mp is a total gimmick.

> Toying between mi note 10, or a bit more for pro
I usually check DXOmark for details about cameras. I could not find Mi Note 10, but the pro version does score well. On the right you can see the top ranked phones and you can click the Pro to see a detailed review: dxomark.com/cat…ws/
Jon_Snow15/06/2020 05:48

> Xiaomi mi note 10 due to 108mp cameraI don't have advice about the …> Xiaomi mi note 10 due to 108mp cameraI don't have advice about the phone, but I want to address this bit in case you were not aware. Higher megapixel does not mean better quality at all. My £1500 dslr is only 24 megapixel. What matters is the quality of the sensor and the software that processes the image on the phone. 108mp is a total gimmick. > Toying between mi note 10, or a bit more for proI usually check DXOmark for details about cameras. I could not find Mi Note 10, but the pro version does score well. On the right you can see the top ranked phones and you can click the Pro to see a detailed review: https://www.dxomark.com/category/smartphone-reviews/

Thanks so much for this feedback! I had a hunch about megamixels being gimmicky, hence my doubts!

You're right in that only the pro version features on the Dxomark site. From what i can see about the regular vs pro versions, the main difference is double the storage, and that's what most of the internet thinks is the only difference. However, the camera specs are slightly different, just on the main lens.

Mi Note 10:
108 MP (7P lens), f/1.7, 25mm (wide), 1/1.33", 0.8µm, PDAF, Laser AF, OIS
12 MP, f/2.0, 50mm (telephoto), 1/2.55", 1.4µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, 2x optical zoom
8 MP, f/2.0, (telephoto), 1.0µm, PDAF, OIS, 3.7x optical zoom, 5x hybrid zoom
20 MP, f/2.2, 13mm (ultrawide), 1/2.8", 1.0µm
2 MP, f/2.4, (macro), 1/5.0", 1.75µm

Mi Note 10 Pro (top on Dxomark):
108 MP (8P lens), f/1.7, 25mm (wide), 1/1.33", 0.8µm, PDAF, Laser AF, OIS
12 MP, f/2.0, 50mm (telephoto), 1/2.55", 1.4µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, 2x optical zoom
8MP, f/2.0, (telephoto), 1.0µm, PDAF, OIS, 3.7x optical zoom, 5x hybrid zoom
20 MP, f/2.2, 13mm (ultrawide), 1/2.8", 1.0µm
2 MP, f/2.4, (macro), 1/5.0", 1.75µm

The only difference (besides double the storage) is the 7P vs 8P lens on the main camera. Do you think this would make an astounding difference, if I saved some money and went for the regular, non-pro version? Regular version still has cracking reviews on other sites, but I appreciate that Dxomark is the gold standard.

With many thanks
You will find this thread useful:

> forum.xda-developers.com/mi-…293

Someone has shared samples. They say there is very little difference. Look for sharpness and clarity. Brightness, colour etc can be easily fixed using the gallery or another app.
Jon_Snow15/06/2020 12:43

You will find this thread useful:> …You will find this thread useful:> https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-note-10/help/differencea-8p-7p-lenses-t4024293Someone has shared samples. They say there is very little difference. Look for sharpness and clarity. Brightness, colour etc can be easily fixed using the gallery or another app.

I am so grateful for this - thank you so much!
I was a big Xiaomi fan until I ordered a phone from the official UK store that arrived broken. I notified them the day it arrived and was fobbed off 4 times over the phone arranging a return for refund. After each call no returns envelope came. On my 5th call I eventually got a returns envelope and I sent it off. 1 week later I got it back still broken with no explanation and then thereafter they said I had no rights as the 30 day return period had expired. The whole process felt like this was deliberate to prevent a refund return. No more Xiaomi for mi.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants