Best/Cheapest place to get a replacement ASUS X502C Fan?

Found 14th Mar 2015
So my laptop is driving me nuts ( Asus X502c ) the fan starts and gets louder until it sounds like the laptop will take off, I've taken it apart and cleaned everything and it's still like it, have been trying to find a replacement but would appreciate some advice on somewhere cheap but reliable to buy from.

Ta x
Community Updates
AskASUSFan
6 Comments
If the fan is just going round very quickly and not making strange noises (like the fan in my laptop) then it might be that the laptop itself is just getting very hot and needs the fan to go that fast (or the settings are telling it to due to that temp), might be that the thermal paste has failed.
Original Poster Banned
MIDURIX

If the fan is just going round very quickly and not making strange noises … If the fan is just going round very quickly and not making strange noises (like the fan in my laptop) then it might be that the laptop itself is just getting very hot and needs the fan to go that fast (or the settings are telling it to due to that temp), might be that the thermal paste has failed.

Thanks for the reply, I will have a go with the thermal paste first ( good plan, didn't think of that xD ) it doesn't seem to be hot to the touch, I had the program speedfan running a few times to monitor it and there weren't any warnings on over heating etc..

Thanks for the advice
The main fan in my laptop needs replacing (have to push it up with a long pin every day or so :p), but you have to take most of the laptop apart to get it out and one bloody screw just wont budge.
Bearings are beginning to cease, all fans do this as they get older, will only get worse until it eventually fails completely, usually a bearing gets stuck completely, preventing the fan from spinning.

As for a replacement, you could look at the part number, providing there is one, printed on the fan spindle itself, then replace only the fan assembly with a new one, otherwise, eBay for a used one, probably will be complete with the heatsink, but it may not be much better than what you've got.
If the model in question is this one, then speedfan wont report any temp issues until the process gets over ~90°C. However the temperatures should probably average around 50-70°C in most normal circumstances.

As already said I'd go with (and in this is pretty much in order of ascending costs)
- Check that it's not still in warranty, a lot of Asus machines have 2 year warranties that your one might still be inside of.
- Strip down and ensure any screws holding the fan to the processor are tightly in place
- Buy some thermal paste (Artic silver or similar rather than something generic) and then clean and reseat the processor and fan assembly.
- Contact Asus support to see if they can supply a replacement fan. It's likely they won't have one as this model will have been discontinued and consumer grade machines rarely have a large supply of spare parts and often this is outsourced to a 3rd party company for supply of these to end consumers.
- eBay for a replacement fan - ebay.co.uk/itm…e13
It's probably your power management settings. Try setting it to balanced or power saver, if it's on high performance the CPU will not dynamically underclock to reduce power consumption and heat output. How to

You can also see your CPU core speeds in CPU-Z or HWMonitor, HWMonitor can also show the power consumption on many CPU's. You should see the core speed, temperature and fan speed drop on idle.
Edited by: "moneybag" 14th Mar 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants