Better Buying on PayPal or credit Card for longer security/cover?

Posted 4th Feb
Looking to buy a mobile phone from Ebay form a reputable seller. It comes with 12 months guarantee. But am I better off paying with PP or my CC?

I know if the phone comes and not happy PayPal is probably better but after 3 (i think) months you're no longer covered I believe. Would a CC be better then?

Thnaks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

3 Comments
Another possible(?) option: If "PayPal Credit" is available as the funding source and "PayPal Credit" is used to pay a recognised merchant, section 75 will apply (subject to other S75 qualifiers such as single item over £100), in which case "PayPal Credit" would be the preferred mechanism to obtain the greatest protection, although "PayPal Credit" is subject to credit check and OP has not included "PayPal Credit" as a possible payment source in the original question. Otherwise:
the usual "pay-from-Paypal-account" / guest PayPal does not offer nor support a warranty and does not qualify for s75; that non-credit PayPal mechanism says it offers 180 days protection against non-delivery or significantly not as described. eBay payments cannot be funded directly by credit card sufficiently to tick all the section 75 protection boxes, so best you could hope for from a card payment would be 120 days chargeback option which like PayPal is not statutory cover.
Presumably the answer to OPs specific question options of cc or PP would be:
cc if 4 months to lodge a (multiple reasons) chargeback request is acceptable to their needs
or
PP if OP thinks it will take them one day under 6 months to realise that the seller has sent used toilet paper rather than a phone.
Edited by: "AndyRoyd" 4th Feb
Paypal. Section 75 doesn’t cover payments made by credit card via paypal. If you wanted to pay by credit card and get the protection you would have to call the seller and buy direct over the phone and bypass ebay completely.
ArcadeAssassin04/02/2020 11:30

Paypal. Section 75 doesn’t cover payments made by credit card via paypal. I …Paypal. Section 75 doesn’t cover payments made by credit card via paypal. If you wanted to pay by credit card and get the protection you would have to call the seller and buy direct over the phone and bypass ebay completely.

That seems a kinda weird suggestion. PP does not provide a warranty & who would typically need SNAD protection the day after receipt?
At least with a card payment you have chargeback claim option for any issues from date of payment up to 120 days from receipt.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants