Better router? Currently using Virgin default hub

Posted 8th May
Hi,

So I pay for 500Mb speeds, and get around 80Mb speeds upstairs on WiFi.

a friend recently told me I should be getting muuuuch faster speeds and its due to the poor router quality.

Any particular new router suggestions to get atleast double that or close to 500Mb on WiFi upstairs?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

42 Comments
I got an ASUS ac86u and run my VM hub in modem mode it works great
A potato would probably be better

On a more serious note get yourself a mesh WiFi pack and set your router to bridge mode, you will see great results.

I use Google Wi-Fi but the Tenda MW3 and MW5 are inexpensive and very popular - hotukdeals.com/dea…782
Gormond08/05/2020 20:41

A potato would probably be better On a more serious note get …A potato would probably be better On a more serious note get yourself a mesh WiFi pack and set your router to bridge mode, you will see great results.I use Google Wi-Fi but the Tenda MW3 and MW5 are inexpensive and very popular - https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tenda-nova-whole-home-wifi-systems-triple-packs-mw3-5699-mw5-7599-at-currys-ebay-3458782

Could you explain this process please?

I.e how to turn it into bridge mode and what I do with these.
Depends what you are using the wifi on, go wired if possible.
Westwoodo08/05/2020 20:47

Depends what you are using the wifi on, go wired if possible.

Can't do wired sadly, router downstairs and my gaming setup is upstairs. Very long ethernet cable is not an option either.
CaptainZero08/05/2020 20:42

Could you explain this process please?I.e how to turn it into bridge mode …Could you explain this process please?I.e how to turn it into bridge mode and what I do with these.

You log onto the Virgin Superhub via the web browser at 192.168.0.1 and then enable "Modem Mode" - This will disable the router and wifi function of your router.

You then plug the main unit of the WiFi mesh pack into your router via an ethernet cable and follow the instructions on how to set it up.

The other 2 units with your mesh pack boost the signal of your Wi-Fi so place one at the extreme end of your house and one in the middle between the main unit and that.
Gormond08/05/2020 20:49

You log onto the Virgin Superhub via the web browser at 192.168.0.1 and …You log onto the Virgin Superhub via the web browser at 192.168.0.1 and then enable "Modem Mode" - This will disable the router and wifi function of your router.You then plug the main unit of the WiFi mesh pack into your router via an ethernet cable and follow the instructions on how to set it up.The other 2 units with your mesh pack boost the signal of your Wi-Fi so place one at the extreme end of your house and one in the middle between the main unit and that.

Thank you for this.

The link you posted - is that the entire WiFi mesh pack or do I need to buy something else with it?

It shows 3 devices, which is the main one? Or does it not matter?
CaptainZero08/05/2020 20:51

Thank you for this.The link you posted - is that the entire WiFi mesh pack …Thank you for this.The link you posted - is that the entire WiFi mesh pack or do I need to buy something else with it?It shows 3 devices, which is the main one? Or does it not matter?

You will probably want to get the MW5 pack to maximise speed (depending on your budget). For the MW3 pack it doesn't matter what you use, for the MW5 you use the one that looks different

Alternatively just get a couple of power line adapters, plug the router downstairs into one and then plug your gaming setup into the other upstairs, i use that too for my gaming PC.
Gormond08/05/2020 20:55

You will probably want to get the MW5 pack to maximise speed (depending on …You will probably want to get the MW5 pack to maximise speed (depending on your budget). For the MW3 pack it doesn't matter what you use, for the MW5 you use the one that looks different Alternatively just get a couple of power line adapters, plug the router downstairs into one and then plug your gaming setup into the other upstairs, i use that too for my gaming PC.

Might sound silly but can I still use the ethernet ports on the virgin hub if I do this?

I ask because my downstairs TV virgin box is plugged into it so I didnt want to lose that.

Probably go with the MW5 since its still massively cheaper then getting a new shiny router.
CaptainZero08/05/2020 20:56

Might sound silly but can I still use the ethernet ports on the virgin hub …Might sound silly but can I still use the ethernet ports on the virgin hub if I do this?I ask because my downstairs TV virgin box is plugged into it so I didnt want to lose that.Probably go with the MW5 since its still massively cheaper then getting a new shiny router.

Yes, rather than putting the Virgin Hub into Modem Mode you could just disable its WiFi and still use it as a router and just use the mesh kit for Wi-Fi.
Gormond08/05/2020 20:59

Yes, rather than putting the Virgin Hub into Modem Mode you could just …Yes, rather than putting the Virgin Hub into Modem Mode you could just disable its WiFi and still use it as a router and just use the mesh kit for Wi-Fi.

I've bought it anyway thank you for all your help.

Will I still get faster speeds if I just disable WiFi and use the mesh kit? Or best to turn it into modem mode?
CaptainZero08/05/2020 21:00

I've bought it anyway thank you for all your help.Will I still get faster …I've bought it anyway thank you for all your help.Will I still get faster speeds if I just disable WiFi and use the mesh kit? Or best to turn it into modem mode?

Yeah it should be fine - Best to first setup your new mesh Wi-Fi and once you have it all working then just login to your Superhub and disable the WiFi so it doesn't interfere.
Gormond08/05/2020 21:02

Yeah it should be fine - Best to first setup your new mesh Wi-Fi and once …Yeah it should be fine - Best to first setup your new mesh Wi-Fi and once you have it all working then just login to your Superhub and disable the WiFi so it doesn't interfere.

Great, thanks again.

Assuming I just use the same SSID and password to save time and effort re-entering it everywhere?
CaptainZero08/05/2020 20:56

Might sound silly but can I still use the ethernet ports on the virgin hub …Might sound silly but can I still use the ethernet ports on the virgin hub if I do this?I ask because my downstairs TV virgin box is plugged into it so I didnt want to lose that.Probably go with the MW5 since its still massively cheaper then getting a new shiny router.

no you can’t use the ports On the superhub you use the bottom one to attach to the router you are replacing them with and then use the ports on your router.
Dannyrobbo08/05/2020 21:04

no you can’t use the ports On the superhub you use the bottom one to a …no you can’t use the ports On the superhub you use the bottom one to attach to the router you are replacing them with and then use the ports on your router.

I'm confused by your comment.

If I only disable WiFi on the superhub, surely the ethernet ports still work?
CaptainZero08/05/2020 21:03

Great, thanks again.Assuming I just use the same SSID and password to save …Great, thanks again.Assuming I just use the same SSID and password to save time and effort re-entering it everywhere?

Yeah just remember to set your new Tenda Wi-Fi into bridge mode when setting it up - this ensures that your don't have 2 DHCP servers active which can cause issues.
Dannyrobbo08/05/2020 21:04

no you can’t use the ports On the superhub you use the bottom one to a …no you can’t use the ports On the superhub you use the bottom one to attach to the router you are replacing them with and then use the ports on your router.

As long as he sets the Mesh Wifi into bridge mode and leaves the DHCP server active on the superhub the ethernet ports should still work fine.
Gormond08/05/2020 21:06

Yeah just remember to set your new Tenda Wi-Fi into bridge mode when …Yeah just remember to set your new Tenda Wi-Fi into bridge mode when setting it up - this ensures that your don't have 2 DHCP servers active which can cause issues.

Mmh I'm getting a bit confused again here now aha

So if I only disable WiFi on the superhub, I need to turn tenda WiFi into modem mode (Bridge mode) when setting up?

But if I turn superhub into modem mode then I won't need to turn tenda WiFi into bridge mode?
Gormond08/05/2020 21:07

As long as he sets the Mesh Wifi into bridge mode and leaves the DHCP …As long as he sets the Mesh Wifi into bridge mode and leaves the DHCP server active on the superhub the ethernet ports should still work fine.

yeah that should work, I had a right nightmare at the beginning with the DHCP the Internet kept dropping out so I ended up just enabling modem mode it was an easy decision because the new router had the same no of ports.
CaptainZero08/05/2020 21:08

Mmh I'm getting a bit confused again here now ahaSo if I only disable WiFi …Mmh I'm getting a bit confused again here now ahaSo if I only disable WiFi on the superhub, I need to turn tenda WiFi into modem mode (Bridge mode) when setting up?But if I turn superhub into modem mode then I won't need to turn tenda WiFi into bridge mode?

Okay basically you need one device to act as a router.

If the Superhub is the router you set the Tenda into Bridge Mode (This disables its router features) and turn off the Superhubs WiFi so it doesn't interfere with the Tenda WiFi - This will mean the other ports on your Superhub are still working normally.

If the Tenda is the router you set your Superhub into Modem Mode, this means you have to plug all your devices into the Tenda units - In this scenario would will likely need to get a Switch, this is just a device that turns 1 ethernet port into more.

It really just depends what device you want to use as your router.
Dannyrobbo08/05/2020 21:15

yeah that should work, I had a right nightmare at the beginning with the …yeah that should work, I had a right nightmare at the beginning with the DHCP the Internet kept dropping out so I ended up just enabling modem mode it was an easy decision because the new router had the same no of ports.

I use an 8 port Switch so i also just set my Superhub into Modem Mode as I didn't need to use its ports. The biggest mistake people make is the leave both DHCP servers on and wonder why some devices cant talk to others
Make sure to buy a Mesh kit that has gigabit Ethernet. Some of the cheaper ones only have 100mb ports which would limit your WAN access to 100mb also, not good if you've got 500 Virgin...
CaptainZero08/05/2020 20:48

Can't do wired sadly, router downstairs and my gaming setup is upstairs. …Can't do wired sadly, router downstairs and my gaming setup is upstairs. Very long ethernet cable is not an option either.

Look up powerlines, cheaper than a lot of routers and you get wired speeds.
Gormond08/05/2020 21:18

I use an 8 port Switch so i also just set my Superhub into Modem Mode as I …I use an 8 port Switch so i also just set my Superhub into Modem Mode as I didn't need to use its ports. The biggest mistake people make is the leave both DHCP servers on and wonder why some devices cant talk to others

I done it all by the book disabled WiFi and DHCP on my superhub working great but kept waking up to just no internet enabled modem mode and it went away. It’s stable now but in the beginning I had trouble with the superhub it really is terrible equipment
Dannyrobbo08/05/2020 21:37

I done it all by the book disabled WiFi and DHCP on my superhub working …I done it all by the book disabled WiFi and DHCP on my superhub working great but kept waking up to just no internet enabled modem mode and it went away. It’s stable now but in the beginning I had trouble with the superhub it really is terrible equipment

That's not good... Yeah the current Superhub really is terrible.
CaptainZero08/05/2020 21:08

Mmh I'm getting a bit confused again here now ahaSo if I only disable WiFi …Mmh I'm getting a bit confused again here now ahaSo if I only disable WiFi on the superhub, I need to turn tenda WiFi into modem mode (Bridge mode) when setting up?But if I turn superhub into modem mode then I won't need to turn tenda WiFi into bridge mode?

I can't comment on the specifics of the Superhub or Tenda router, but my understanding is that on the ISP provided modem/router (in this case the Superhub) you turn WiFi off, and on the second WiFi router (in this case the Tenda) you can set it to Access Point mode (AP mode) and you should be done.

(Technical explanation: DHCP will be running on your Superhub and the Tenda will just act like a dumb network switch (without DHCP), so any device connected to the Tenda will show up on the Superhubs' control panel. The Tenda just passes the connections through to the Superhub.)

Edit: I just saw the part about mesh networks, maybe disregard this, I'm not sure if this would work for that.
Edited by: "npo" 8th May
We are having issues with our wifi upstairs. Virgin media sent us some wifi boosters and they made zero difference
To confuse you even more, I keep the Virgin WiFi turned on with a different ssid and run the Tenda mw3s in bridge mode. we have Virgin 100mb so the mw3 is adequate for us and I’m very pleased with them.
This means in the lounge, where the Virgin router is I can connect the tv and some smart switches to the virgin router and also when children and visitors visit with tablets and phones they connect to the Virgin router rather than the Tenda mesh network.
My thinking was visitors don’t need to use the whole house mesh but if everything (up to 12 additional devices) is trying to connect through the MW3 node in the lounge it might slow things down.
I’m not sure if this is good practice but it seems to work for us.
Dannyrobbo08/05/2020 20:33

I got an ASUS ac86u and run my VM hub in modem mode it works great

you put your hub to modem
then attach your asus to it with a Ethernet cable

then the asus will be your source of WiFi?

I might try mine again tomorrow, just not sure it’s worth it, if I’m getting 55mbps speeds, on I think 70mbps line
Just to be sure before you spend money the device you are using can it get more than 80 anywhere else, not all devices can get more. Are you actually getting 500 anywhere, it could be worth calling Virgin they will be able to do a trace and see if it’s on their side if you aren’t getting the 500 elsewhere.
eslick08/05/2020 22:32

Just to be sure before you spend money the device you are using can it get …Just to be sure before you spend money the device you are using can it get more than 80 anywhere else, not all devices can get more. Are you actually getting 500 anywhere, it could be worth calling Virgin they will be able to do a trace and see if it’s on their side if you aren’t getting the 500 elsewhere.

If I do a speed test next to the router using my phone WiFi I get about 450Mb
CaptainZero08/05/2020 22:47

If I do a speed test next to the router using my phone WiFi I get about …If I do a speed test next to the router using my phone WiFi I get about 450Mb

And using the same phone upstairs gives you the 80 then you need help, but just think is 80 enough before spending money it might be plenty don’t even get that next to their router.
eslick08/05/2020 22:49

And using the same phone upstairs gives you the 80 then you need help, but …And using the same phone upstairs gives you the 80 then you need help, but just think is 80 enough before spending money it might be plenty don’t even get that next to their router.

180Mb on phone WiFi upstairs
CaptainZero08/05/2020 22:52

180Mb on phone WiFi upstairs

Sounds like the device that got the 80 might be limited if you get 180 on your phone. If you get 180 on other devices I wouldn’t bother spending any money on it. You should be able to do everything you need with that and the cost benefit to me at least wouldn't be worth it.

make sure you have 2g and 5g set up on your router, and auto channels it might help.
Edited by: "eslick" 8th May
I’ve got nothing to add to this thread other than to say the super hub 3 is an absolute waste of space. Just received my second until today as I thought the first one was faulty. What a pile of ...

Anyone managed to get out of their contract early? I don’t want to buy other products to make this work.
Mendoza08/05/2020 22:28

you put your hub to modemthen attach your asus to it with a Ethernet …you put your hub to modemthen attach your asus to it with a Ethernet cablethen the asus will be your source of WiFi?I might try mine again tomorrow, just not sure it’s worth it, if I’m getting 55mbps speeds, on I think 70mbps line

yeah that’s pretty much it. Enable modem mode. Plug the bottom port of the super hub or whatever one is designated into the ASU’s WAN port. It can make changing over if you enable the ssid and password to match the old router.
Gormond08/05/2020 20:41

A potato would probably be better On a more serious note get …A potato would probably be better On a more serious note get yourself a mesh WiFi pack and set your router to bridge mode, you will see great results.I use Google Wi-Fi but the Tenda MW3 and MW5 are inexpensive and very popular - https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tenda-nova-whole-home-wifi-systems-triple-packs-mw3-5699-mw5-7599-at-currys-ebay-3458782

So this came today (MW5) and I've set it up.

I even connected the node upstairs with an ethernet cable directly into my PC.

Download speeds gone from 80Mb to 100Mb.

So.. still nowhere near my 500Mb that I pay for.

Any idea?
Edited by: "CaptainZero" 12th May
CaptainZero12/05/2020 17:45

So this came today (MW5) and I've set it up.I even connected the node …So this came today (MW5) and I've set it up.I even connected the node upstairs with an ethernet cable directly into my PC.Download speeds gone from 80Mb to 100Mb.So.. still nowhere near my 500Mb that I pay for.Any idea?

Thats very odd, what's you WiFi speed when your right next to the main unit?
Gormond12/05/2020 21:19

Thats very odd, what's you WiFi speed when your right next to the main …Thats very odd, what's you WiFi speed when your right next to the main unit?

On my phone? 400-450Mb. I did find out the 2 other units only have 100Mb LAN ports, so I put it back on 5Ghz on my PC. Went to 140Mb.

I also found out my Wifi dongle on my PC is 300Mb rated (N is it called?). I've ordered a AC1900 (probably overkill) wifi adapter that should be much better.

My phone does 250Mb upstairs in the same position.
Edited by: "CaptainZero" 12th May
CaptainZero12/05/2020 21:30

On my phone? 400-450Mb. I did find out the 2 other units only have 100Mb …On my phone? 400-450Mb. I did find out the 2 other units only have 100Mb LAN ports, so I put it back on 5Ghz on my PC. Went to 140Mb.I also found out my Wifi dongle on my PC is 300Mb rated (N is it called?). I've ordered a AC1900 (probably overkill) wifi adapter that should be much better.My phone does 250Mb upstairs in the same position.

If your phone does 250Mb in the same position that points to your PCs WiFi module. WiFi N is very old at this point, a more modern AC module should fix your issue.
Edited by: "Gormond" 12th May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions