Betting shop ethics

Hi guys. Any betting shop punters out there will relate to this.

I did a bet yesterday and it didn't show the race countdown or the race itself, (it was a virtual race) and as it turned out I had done the bet 44 seconds after the race went off. I have been told by a friend who works part-time in a betting shop that the staff know when you do that bet that you're on too late, it shows on the screen apparently. So, surely the staff should be telling you this and making a refund rather than saying nothing. 'Saying nothing' is theft in my opinion. Especially in light of this recent unrelated ruling.

bbc.co.uk/new…990

All opinions welcome.

22 Comments

I presume u can prove the bet was placed 44 secs after the race started?

Original Poster

off course, I checked the off time on line against the time on the docket.

Banned

Its not a recent ruling

I'm assuming they would not pay out if you won.

Make a formal complaint to the bookmaker in question. Maybe their systems were being a bit slow that day and/or the clerk wasn't paying enough attention.

perrioli

off course, I checked the off time on line against the time on the docket.

Theft? I don't know what would show on their screen, but surely if they accepted what turned out to be an illegitimate bet, you would have your stake refunded.

I worked in a bookies for 5 years and can assure you they don't know. There are that many races going off that you don't know it's late until your process the bet into the system a couple of minutes later to find its late. If there is a backlog of bets being processed you may not know until the person comes to collect. You can complain and the manager may issue a discretionary payment if it's a few seconds late but generally speaking with it being so late it's a human error. It's not the best service and more service could have been taken but it happens.

Theft by finding has been on the statute books for well over 100 years so I wouldn't exactly call that unrelated article a "recent ruling".

A virtual race is not a real race. As soon as the race is off, the result is known. Betting shop staff are taking hundreds of bets each day, and if they stopped and checked every bet then they wouldn't get bets accepted in time. A lot of bets aren't written clearly, and some bets are deliberately written ambiguously. It is your responsibility to ensure your bet is taken in time. You could have asked prior to acceptance. Win or lose your stake is refunded on a late bet.

You never see a poor bookie. Just saying.

craigstephens

You never see a poor bookie. Just saying.

​Peter Barlow

If you have proof the bet was accepted after the off its clearly illegitimate and they have to void it. I don't really understand how their system can accept bets after the off on virtual sports. Also, stop p*ssing your money away with bookies.

Rom

If you have proof the bet was accepted after the off its clearly … If you have proof the bet was accepted after the off its clearly illegitimate and they have to void it. I don't really understand how their system can accept bets after the off on virtual sports. Also, stop p*ssing your money away with bookies.

Its been explained more than once why, I don't really understand how people can read a thread and then post they don't understand something that has already been explained.

The cashier scans the bet through the till. Its only when its translated later that it would be shown as void. On a week like this, one of the busiest of the year, that could be 10/20 minutes later or more depending on how busy the shop is. You could argue that the customer is trying it on by putting a bet one when a race is over, which, for a virtual race, would be almost certain if it was 44 seconds after the off time.
Edited by: "julieallen" 17th Mar

stop betting its a mugs game use the money more wisely

julieallen

Its been explained more than once why, I don't really understand how … Its been explained more than once why, I don't really understand how people can read a thread and then post they don't understand something that has already been explained.The cashier scans the bet through the till. Its only when its translated later that it would be shown as void. On a week like this, one of the busiest of the year, that could be 10/20 minutes later or more depending on how busy the shop is. You could argue that the customer is trying it on by putting a bet one when a race is over, which, for a virtual race, would be almost certain if it was 44 seconds after the off time.

By not understand I mean with a virtual sport there's no reason for the system not to immediately report the event has started.
I was expressing incredulity, the inadequacies of their system is the bookies problem.

Rom

By not understand I mean with a virtual sport there's no reason for the … By not understand I mean with a virtual sport there's no reason for the system not to immediately report the event has started. I was expressing incredulity, the inadequacies of their system is the bookies problem.

You are missing the fact every bet has to be manually translated, if the cashier doesn't do it instantly then how can the system know what the bet is? It could be a virtual race that was off 44 seconds previously, or it could be a correct score for the next days football.
Not sure how you think that could be fixed, other than having pre printed slips for every single event taking place, which obviously coudn't work.

julieallen

You are missing the fact every bet has to be manually translated, if the … You are missing the fact every bet has to be manually translated, if the cashier doesn't do it instantly then how can the system know what the bet is? It could be a virtual race that was off 44 seconds previously, or it could be a correct score for the next days football.Not sure how you think that could be fixed, other than having pre printed slips for every single event taking place, which obviously coudn't work.

I haven't been in bookies very often so I don't know, what you're describing seems to be pretty conducive to cheating them. Busy day, quickly note winner of virtual race, hand slip to flustered staff member = profit?

Original Poster

This particular meeting is shown on the screen and has a 60 second countdown. There was no countdown and no on screen race so I didn't know that the race had went off. If I'd been cheating I'd have picked the winner or the forecast or the tricast, for a good sum of money. But I picked 2 losers in the race. If that's cheating, I'm terrible at it. Plus, people are assuming the shop was packed, there was about 5 people in it at 11.15 am. Yes they do take hundreds of bets per day, not per customer/transaction.

And those that referred to the recent ruling are missing the point of the topic.

I have also been told quite a while ago(by a Lad's employee who was behind the counter at the time) that a Ladbrokes employee was sacked for going out to the floor and collecting and checking the dockets that he knew were off late and cashing the non bet return in for himself. I'm cynical, but I reckon there's a helluva lot more than him doing it.

And thanks for the input everyone.
Edited by: "perrioli" 17th Mar

Rom

I haven't been in bookies very often so I don't know, what you're … I haven't been in bookies very often so I don't know, what you're describing seems to be pretty conducive to cheating them. Busy day, quickly note winner of virtual race, hand slip to flustered staff member = profit?

No because they are time stamped when they are scanned through, then when translated they would come up void if they were late.

You messed up fam not them

perrioli

This particular meeting is shown on the screen and has a 60 second … This particular meeting is shown on the screen and has a 60 second countdown. There was no countdown and no on screen race so I didn't know that the race had went off. If I'd been cheating I'd have picked the winner or the forecast or the tricast, for a good sum of money. But I picked 2 losers in the race. If that's cheating, I'm terrible at it. Plus, people are assuming the shop was packed, there was about 5 people in it at 11.15 am. Yes they do take hundreds of bets per day, not per customer/transaction. And those that referred to the recent ruling are missing the point of the topic.I have also been told quite a while ago(by a Lad's employee who was behind the counter at the time) that a Ladbrokes employee was sacked for going out to the floor and collecting and checking the dockets that he knew were off late and cashing the non bet return in for himself. I'm cynical, but I reckon there's a helluva lot more than him doing it.And thanks for the input everyone.

Lots do it, and most get caught.

Place your bet on time.Simples
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17396138
    2. How dangerous is Donald trump?1123
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764102
    4. Sad news about Barcelona2186

See more discussions