Groups

beware of money of vouchers

Well written piece in the times today about the xmas sales and all the % off vouchers and how they are misleading. Thought it was worth posting on here

business.timesonline.co.uk/tol…ece

i have copied a little of the peice here

Threshers, for example, has a Piper Heidsieck champagne on offer at £29.99 a bottle before the 40 per cent discount. The Co-op, however, which usually sells the same bottle for £25.25, is offering it at £16.84.

Wine Rack is selling a bottle of Mo?& Chandon champagne at £33.99 a bottle. With the three-for-two offer the price works out at £22.66 a bottle, and with the 40 per cent discount the price would be £20.40 a bottle. A bottle of Mo?at Tesco was priced yesterday at £25.86 and at Sainsburys £25.87.

7 Comments

If they can all of a sudden, slash prices by 50%, it just goes to show that they've beeen ripping the proverbial out of us for as long as .

Get It Right Up Them!

That`s why we have this site to keep us all informed. I have been to focus this AM and a laminate flooring pack I am interested in has went from £13 a sq mtr with 15% off to £17 a sq mtr with 20% off. Here I thought I will pay less VAT, !! Oh silly me.

Off licences can't be compared to supermarkets. Different overheads.

Tesco doing the same. I bought something for £109 last week. Took a look at same product today because they have launched the VAT "reduction" . Strangly enough, it has gone up in price by a few quid

By the time you go to checkout, VAT taken off, hey presto back to the price I paid.

As I said on a different thread, there are going to be quite a few tricks played with this VAT stuff

No offence but isn't this a bit obvious? Just because something has x% off doesn't mean you should assume it's the cheapest. If you want the cheapest you've got to shop around. It's the same whether there's a % off sale or not. Everyone knows that places will have money off offers that might sound good but aren't actually that cheap.

iglimpse;3603853

Tesco doing the same. I bought something for £109 last week. Took a … Tesco doing the same. I bought something for £109 last week. Took a look at same product today because they have launched the VAT "reduction" . Strangly enough, it has gone up in price by a few quidBy the time you go to checkout, VAT taken off, hey presto back to the price I paid.As I said on a different thread, there are going to be quite a few tricks played with this VAT stuff

Maybe so but they're all in competition over who has the best prices. If they've put their prices up because of the VAT reduction then people will go elsewhere. At the end of the day they're all desperate for our business that they'll pass on any reduction they can to get people through the door.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Are these two things distinctly different to you?2597
      2. Free Sky Sports Day Pass if anyone wants it33
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764427
      4. O2 priority £1 lunch to end for good11

See more discussions