Groups

Beware of this SCAM !

A friend of mine put some jewellery on e-bay and he received an email from someone overseas, who basically said he'd send the payment via pay-pal. My friend received the below from "paypal" stating that the funds had been received, so he posted a parcel to the guy overseas.

However the email he received from "paypal" was actually from "[email protected]" but it was cleverly disquised to deceive the recipient (as shown below), plus it had a copy of PayPal's logo, etc (which I couldn't paste in here).

So please be careful to check the FULL ADDRESS of any senders, and not just the ALIAS at the beginning - because that can be very deceiving.

Anyway, the good news is, my friend didn't fall for this, and he simply posted an empty parcel with a note saying "when your money arrives in my bank, you'll get your goods" - excellent plan on his part, don't ya think !

----- Original Message ----
    To:
    Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 11:47:25 AM
    Subject: ***Scan Receipt Requested***

Dear Matt,

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

We just want to let you know that we have received the tracking number sent to us, but we still need you to send us the scanned receipt to prove postage of item.

We also want to bring to your notice that your funds would be credited into your account as soon as we have the scanned receipt of the postage.

--------------------------------
    Thank you for using PayPal!
    The PayPal Team

--------------------------------
    Copyright © 1999-2008 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal (Europe) Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the United Kingdom as an electronic money institution. PayPal FSA Register Number: 226056.

PayPal Email ID PP274

7 Comments

this is a long runnin scam

should always log into paypal and check not rely on emails...

I know that some paypal payments are held back due to certain criteria not being met.
    Once the parcel has been received and feedback left the funds are they credited to the sellers account.
    Its never happened to me but there are a few threads on here and on another forum i go on.
    Agree with above as well log into paypal account and check recent activity i would presume it would show up regardless.

hotukdeals.com/ite…-ge

how to stay safe on ebay & paypal ....... im gonna add this to it later cos its a good point

some sellers will send empty boxes via RM etc and when you sign for it, its empty but you can't open an item not recieved cos u signed for a parcel ....... good eh ?

you could do a snad though :lol:

anyways this sorta scam is gonna get more common ......... ebay is a scammers paradise & paypal make it much easier

Original Poster

Thanks for the link - I'll pass that on to my friend.

wow i would have fallen for this. thanks

well he still scamed your mate out of postage

faevilangel;3006337

some sellers will send empty boxes via RM etc and when you sign for it, … some sellers will send empty boxes via RM etc and when you sign for it, its empty but you can't open an item not recieved cos u signed for a parcel ....... good eh ?

That is not fool proof for them though as you can show paypal the postage value and if it is showing as under weight for the type of item you have bought then they will refund you.

Happened to me once......scanned in the envelope and they checked the weight and postage and saw it was impossible to post said item for that amount and they refunded me straight away.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2487
      2. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1521
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767390
      4. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value1115

See more discussions