Groups

Beware when topping up your PAYG phone!

Hi everyone,

be careful how you pay for things on your credit/debit card -- especially mobile top ups if you have a PAYG. I have just had £30 swiped out of my bank account via a pay as you go top up for 02 and its not gone on my phone !!! It has been used fraudenlty. I always pay for things chip and pin and online my card details are usually secure. However, I have topped up my mobile using my debit card and all they ask for is the 16 digit number and security code on the back. Beware of paying for stuff that doesnt ask a million pain in the ass security questions. had to cancel my cards and all sorts. could have been worse then £30 though.
    And as a fellow HUKDer I love a good bargain, but will now have to put my spending on hold til me new card arrives..... most p***ed off I am.

15 Comments

You probably had the details stolen from elsewhere, mobile phone top ups are often used by the thief to test the water, check the card works etc If the card owner doesn't notice the thief will attempt to use the card for a bigger purchase.

Well, thank god I'm on contract ey?

Original Poster

jeany123;6533565

other people have had same … other people have had same problemhttp://www.hotukdeals.com/item/419530/got-skimmed-on-my-credit-cardhttp://www.hotukdeals.com/item/411526/warning-credit-card-fraud

Interesting how the threads seem sure it was in some part shopto.net or Gameplay - I have never used either site!
    however, I normally top up by my mobile with debit card by ringing them, for the first time a couple of weeks back I topped up my phone Online. I believ this is how my details were compromised. I will be using top up vouchers from now on thats for sure!:oops:

its also worth noting that they topped up an o2 number, I am with o2 - coincedence maybe?

Sheriff Waffles;6533697

Interesting how the threads seem sure it was in some part shopto.net or … Interesting how the threads seem sure it was in some part shopto.net or Gameplay - I have never used either site! however, I normally top up by my mobile with debit card by ringing them, for the first time a couple of weeks back I topped up my phone Online. I believ this is how my details were compromised. I will be using top up vouchers from now on thats for sure!:oops:its also worth noting that they topped up an o2 number, I am with o2 - coincedence maybe?

I think there is a reason they chose O2 to top up someone mentioned it in a previous thread but I forgot.

Original Poster

I've also read petrol stations have been blamed for card fraud, but I dont drive so it cant be that! And I'm usually very cautious with my card details. Is anything safe anymore?

When I had someone try to buy something for a couple of hundred with my account I checked my statement and an o2 charge for £30 (2x£15) had appeared unnoticed in my account a week before.

I'm on Orange.

Banned

have you ever used that CC / DC at shopto?

Me & my GF both got stung by O2 after using our credit cards at shopto

Original Poster

I had never heard of shopto until today. So cant be that. I did top up my phone online a couple of weeks back for the first time. Will be checking my receipts soon to see if my full card number is displayed on any of them - they are usually starred out apart from the last few digits. There is also a link on MSE I will check out later to see what companies have my card details on record. Worth a try.

More to the point, as you deserve your money - have your bank helped you appropriately?

Thanks for the heads-up, I shall watch more closely for such fraud.

"It seems likely a staff member at 02 has "sold" the details on"

i think that's considered libel without proof...be careful son.

Original Poster

cristoff;6536677

"It seems likely a staff member at 02 has "sold" the details on"i think … "It seems likely a staff member at 02 has "sold" the details on"i think that's considered libel without proof...be careful son.

Good point, now edited!;-)

Banned

happened to me

02 slough aye?

Sweet FA to do with 02.

Used cex recently?

im convinced mines came from there.

ps im orange mobile at the time so defo wasnt 02

bank will sort it

Original Poster

Not even sure what CEX is, the only few new companies I've used my card with recently are Halfords. Webtogs.co.uk. and sugarshoesdirect (which use worldpay). All the other companies I've used and trusted for years so dunno!

Someone I work with has NEVER used his card online.
    He used it first time this summer to book a holiday through tomson and had £5000 taken out of his account by someone using his details online.
    It was spotted by the bank before he did and was stopped.
    Just goes to show no company is safe and trusted online though.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk11
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains98
      3. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon33
      4. Win a Free minion usb stick88

See more discussions