Groups

bg1: how do you said 2010

two thousand and ten

or

twenty10

I think its time we put this one to bed right here right now.

40 Comments

haha i never have had to so far!

but ...the first!

two thousand and ten

^^^This.

twenty10

/thread

its SAY

Tree fiddy

Original Poster

thanks for unexpring mods

u dont said u say......how do u say ....

2 thousand & ten

Ten past eight.

black gerbil1;7503127

unexpring

lol

tree fiddy.

Shengis;7503296

Ten past eight.

I lol'd :-D

2009 and 2010 both have the same amount of syllables, 9 and 10 being one each.
    So it should be said the same as last year.
    Two thousand and ten. Because we did not say Twenty 9.

Twenty Ten.

DarkKnight;7503531

2009 and 2010 both have the same amount of syllables, 9 and 10 being one … 2009 and 2010 both have the same amount of syllables, 9 and 10 being one each.So it should be said the same as last year.Two thousand and ten. Because we did not say Twenty 9.

'Twenty nine' doesn't really work though - its 209 - thats why between 2000 and 2009 most people said 'two thousand and...'. On the other hand most people said 'nineteen ninety' for 1990 (not 'one thousand nine hundred and ninety' etc) so 'twenty ten' is just as correct.

jah128;7503567

'Twenty nine' doesn't really work though - its 209 - thats why between … 'Twenty nine' doesn't really work though - its 209 - thats why between 2000 and 2009 most people said 'two thousand and...'. On the other hand most people said 'nineteen ninety' for 1990 (not 'one thousand nine hundred and ninety' etc) so 'twenty ten' is just as correct.

lol 'one thousand nine hundred and ninety'

They had this on the radio on the other day...

Say "olympics 2012"

now say 2010 .... tada!

Banned

Have you really nothing better to do than start another completely useless thread?

Original Poster

jah128;7503567

'Twenty nine' doesn't really work though - its 209 - thats why between … 'Twenty nine' doesn't really work though - its 209 - thats why between 2000 and 2009 most people said 'two thousand and...'. On the other hand most people said 'nineteen ninety' for 1990 (not 'one thousand nine hundred and ninety' etc) so 'twenty ten' is just as correct.

mind = blown
    toshapetriji;7503667

Have you really nothing better to do than start another completely … Have you really nothing better to do than start another completely useless thread?

I can do what I like when I like, this is my domain.

I usually say twenty10, but thats what all the conformists say, so i should really say two thousand and ten, but then ill be conforming to a non conformist, so im going to say two zero one zero.

jah128;7503567

1990 had many more syllables.
    Twenty ten is just for lazy people, probably the people who write in "txt".

probs combo and use a bit of both

Radio 4 are using twenty ten - so thats probably the official BBC stance....

I'm guessing there's still plenty of snow your way BG1; your school can't have reopened today!

Banned

rodent;7503679

I usually say twenty10

I would have thought it would have been more usual for you to shout "Twenty 20... coming ready or not".

DarkKnight;7503751

1990 had many more syllables.Twenty ten is just for lazy people, probably … 1990 had many more syllables.Twenty ten is just for lazy people, probably the people who write in "txt".

Not really, it has 1 more syllable - the same number as there will be in 2090 - and consider that for the 89 years before 2000 people tended to say 'nineteen ....' so why is it odd that people will now say 'twenty ....'?

Alfonse;7503335

lol

It's not funny. It's irritating. :x

black gerbil1;7503679

but then ill be conforming to a non conformist, so im going to say two … but then ill be conforming to a non conformist, so im going to say two zero one zero. [/B]

Yeah, well done. Good on you.

jah128;7503854

Not really, it has 1 more syllable - the same number as there will be in … Not really, it has 1 more syllable - the same number as there will be in 2090 - and consider that for the 89 years before 2000 people tended to say 'nineteen ....' so why is it odd that people will now say 'twenty ....'?

It's been answered already.
    It couldn't have been used in the previous century because it would have been One thousand nine hundred and.....
    Which would be too many syllables.

Original Poster

deek72;7503858

Yeah, well done. Good on you.

yeah im always breaking down barriers.

black gerbil1;7503679

so im going to say two zero one zero.

bravo

u get the car fixed brah?

DarkKnight;7503913

It's been answered already.It couldn't have been used in the previous … It's been answered already.It couldn't have been used in the previous century because it would have been One thousand nine hundred and..... Which would be too many syllables.

Its got nothing to do with syllables. People in the previous century had the option to say 'nineteen hundred and x' but invariably condensed it to 'nineteen x', just as for the remainder of this century most will say 'twenty x' instead of 'two thousand and x'...

Nothing to do with 'txt' speak or laziness, its just the convention that people are used to. Maybe you are too young to remember 1999?

jah128;7504571

Its got nothing to do with syllables. People in the previous century had … Its got nothing to do with syllables. People in the previous century had the option to say 'nineteen hundred and x' but invariably condensed it to 'nineteen x', just as for the remainder of this century most will say 'twenty x' instead of 'two thousand and x'...Nothing to do with 'txt' speak or laziness, its just the convention that people are used to. Maybe you are too young to remember 1999?

Inevitably yes, like the previous century, the later part of it will revert to 20 something.
    But going from a said syllable sentence to a sentence with the same number of syllables doesn't need a change in pronunciation in my opinion.

Original Poster

numptyj;7504181

u get the car fixed brah?

yeah fam im back on road

brap brap *does the gun fingers*

DarkKnight;7504671

Inevitably yes, like the previous century, the later part of it will … Inevitably yes, like the previous century, the later part of it will revert to 20 something.But going from a said syllable sentence to a sentence with the same number of syllables doesn't need a change in pronunciation in my opinion.

Nah, 20x from 10 onwards. It just flows.

Banned

Me and dem gyals we be callin it two zero to de ones zero. Yam be whippin' de flies

Cheese cheese byngo knees!

i didnt say twenty 9 or twenty 8 etc so two thousand and ten for me

DanJackson;7508762

Me and dem gyals we be callin it two zero to de ones zero. Yam be … Me and dem gyals we be callin it two zero to de ones zero. Yam be whippin' de flies Cheese cheese byngo knees!

Exactly what I was thinking

Banned

donnydude;7508971

Exactly what I was thinking

Cheeky brah! We all be flingin dem wheels and ting for de man BeeGee1. All goats in de chapel sing louder ya!

Original Poster

DanJackson;7509003

Cheeky brah! We all be flingin dem wheels and ting for de man BeeGee1. … Cheeky brah! We all be flingin dem wheels and ting for de man BeeGee1. All goats in de chapel sing louder ya!

you're 27

Banned

I can't actually remember at all ever saying the year in which i was currently in , so i will choose neither please Chris....

Banned

black gerbil1;7509638

you're 27

No brah, I am older than that. Brah

Brah.

Serious thread.

Brah
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp34
      2. How long do we think it’ll be until USB C is considered as safe and univers…22
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764566
      4. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …285992

See more discussions