bg1: overtime rules

hi my friend works 37hrs per week, next week they are doing a stock take or something. He told me they are paying him now normaly hourly.

is this right, i thought if you worked over 40hrs, soon as you hit the 40hrs, you should be paid overtime

no?

10 Comments

Depends on the companies pay policy............just ask them for time and a half and hope they don't sack you. (or your 'friend' should)

Original Poster

isnt there a law in place that states once you work over x hrs per week, you are paid overtime?

Depends on their contract. Mine is 40 hours but I am paid to complete my duties.

Banned

black gerbil1

isnt there a law in place that states once you work over x hrs per week, … isnt there a law in place that states once you work over x hrs per week, you are paid overtime?

No.

/thread

There used to be wage councils that would set hours of work, overtime rates, and holidays when I first started working. These were gradually phased out until they were finally abolished in 1993. Even the catering trade used to get proper overtime rates and proper pay. Now though your employer can pay you minimum wage and put compulsory overtime up to 48 hours a week in your work contract without even paying you an enhanced rate.

direct.gov.uk/en/…439
Edited by: "trog0" 10th Feb 2011

'your friend' should probably ask to see your contract, surely it will be in there?

Look here and especially here

Whoops...it's already posted lol.
Edited by: "bellabonkers" 10th Feb 2011

Banned

Stock Take? You mean counting the Happy Meal toys?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. PS4 Beta Software Version 522
    2. What an absolute disgrace2160
    3. Now TV CODES - Free Sky Entertainment/Kids/Cinema/Sports914
    4. hOW SHOCKED WERE YOU AT THE GLASGOW FRUIT MARKET CONFLAGRATION??88

See more discussions