Bi Xenon Bulbs

Posted 25th Apr
Hoping someone has the knowledge on Bi Xenons / bulbs.

Looking at replacing a blown bulb and seem to see prices ranging from £10 - £150 for a bulb, does anyone know what the differnce broadly will be?

Also, would you need to change both bulbs (left and right) at the same time?

TIA
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
No need to change both however you might find that the new bulb is a slightly different colour though - if that bothers you then yes change both.

I'd stick to a decent brand philips/osram.

Make sure you buy the correct type and colour - colour is given in kelvin eg 4000K should be on the old unit.
mas9925/04/2019 11:22

No need to change both however you might find that the new bulb is a …No need to change both however you might find that the new bulb is a slightly different colour though - if that bothers you then yes change both.I'd stick to a decent brand philips/osram.Make sure you buy the correct type and colour - colour is given in kelvin eg 4000K should be on the old unit.

@mas99 thats what i was thinking in case they are different shades - never had xenons so not sure of the technicalities. Do they need to be installed by a garage as they have some auto-level thing?
Which car do you have & does it have factory fitted xexons
adamderak2 m ago

Which car do you have & does it have factory fitted xexons

its 2014 Ibiza Cupra - yes i believe they are factory as they're not the really bright ones
Some are just fake xexon look a likes , hence very cheap. I think the standard colour is 4100k
Edited by: "adamderak" 25th Apr
adamderak25/04/2019 11:53

Some are just fake xexon look a likes , hence very cheap. I think the …Some are just fake xexon look a likes , hence very cheap. I think the standard colour is 4100k

@adamderak i think they are factory due to the car spec - where have you managed to get the Kelvin from? looked everywhere to find what the factory kelvin would be but couldnt find a proper answer.
h.s25/04/2019 11:32

@mas99 thats what i was thinking in case they are different shades - never …@mas99 thats what i was thinking in case they are different shades - never had xenons so not sure of the technicalities. Do they need to be installed by a garage as they have some auto-level thing?

The auto levelling is built into the housing - you dont need to worry about it. They are easy to install - but don't do it while they are turned on - high voltages. Do not touch the glass. - I'd wear latex gloves.
h.s19 m ago

@adamderak i think they are factory due to the car spec - where have you …@adamderak i think they are factory due to the car spec - where have you managed to get the Kelvin from? looked everywhere to find what the factory kelvin would be but couldnt find a proper answer.

Ignore 4100k wrong info
h.s25/04/2019 12:11

@adamderak i think they are factory due to the car spec - where have you …@adamderak i think they are factory due to the car spec - where have you managed to get the Kelvin from? looked everywhere to find what the factory kelvin would be but couldnt find a proper answer.

Factory will probably be in the 4000K range, 4100 or 4300 usually. The higher the number the more blue the light.
The old bulb label should tell you what they are - you might have to scan a code and look up the model. If you take off the cover you'll be able to see the square back of the unit - I assume D1S?
Edited by: "mas99" 25th Apr
mas9926 m ago

The auto levelling is built into the housing - you dont need to worry …The auto levelling is built into the housing - you dont need to worry about it. They are easy to install - but don't do it while they are turned on - high voltages. Do not touch the glass. - I'd wear latex gloves.

Thanks mass99 - wasn't aware that its in built
mas9910 m ago

Factory will probably be in the 4000K range, 4100 or 4300 usually. The …Factory will probably be in the 4000K range, 4100 or 4300 usually. The higher the number the more blue the light.The old bulb label should tell you what they are - you might have to scan a code and look up the model. If you take off the cover you'll be able to see the square back of the unit - I assume D1S?

@mas99 i think its safer to remove existing to see what kelvin it is and get an identical one - don't really want to change both and the one that works is bang on colour wise.
i've just has a look at OSRAM site - yes it is saying D1S fitting.
adamderak1 h, 7 m ago

Think it's …Think it's 4300khttps://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F142804734808[Image]

thanks for that @adamderak - much appreicated
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions