Bicycle bottom bracket issues

Posted 1st Mar
I have a Whyte Sussex with a bottom bracket that needs replacing. It has a square taper BB that I've measured to be 68x103.

I assumed there would be a Shimano UN55 square taper option (the best bottom bracket)...but the minimum size they do is 68x107.

I'm struggling to find quality alternatives - and am now wondering if I can use a 68x107 Shimano bracket instead? Any advice would be appreciated

(This is the one that I've removed)

3415607.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

4 Comments
you're talking about 2mm difference each side - not much difference, I'd try it.

The original is available eg bike24.com/p21…tml although reports seem to be that its rubbish.
mas9901/03/2020 13:04

you're talking about 2mm difference each side - not much difference, I'd …you're talking about 2mm difference each side - not much difference, I'd try it.The original is available eg https://www.bike24.com/p2111872.html although reports seem to be that its rubbish.

It is rubbish (it's lasted about 5000km, whereas my UN55 BB is still running perfectly after what must be about 20,000km).

I think I'll give the 107mm UN55 a go. It's only £14 from Chain Reaction.

Thanks for allaying my concerns somewhat
Edited by: "yadiyada" 1st Mar
yadiyada01/03/2020 13:10

It is rubbish (it's lasted about 5000km, whereas my UN55 BB is still …It is rubbish (it's lasted about 5000km, whereas my UN55 BB is still running perfectly after what must be about 20,000km). I think I'll give the 107mm UN55 a go. It's only £14 from Chain Reaction. Thanks for allaying my concerns somewhat

I guess the only thing to check would be that your front mech has another couple of mm of adjustment.
mas9901/03/2020 14:25

I guess the only thing to check would be that your front mech has another …I guess the only thing to check would be that your front mech has another couple of mm of adjustment.

Yep, the front mech has a good bit of adjustment. It's a courier bike, so doesn't have to be perfect - just dependable. So I'd rather have an imperfect chainline/shift than a bad bottom bracket

Replacement BB ordered
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants