Expired

Bicycle lights and reflexive vest

Found 31st Mar 2009
Hi HUKD members!

Usually I post deals here, but now I need your help. I want to buy a good, but cheap front and back lights for my bike and also reflexive vest. What shop (store or online shop) would you recommend to get i from? Thank you for all your help and advices!

11 Comments

Polaris front LEDs are good value for money - you could probably get them as low as £6. A rear light is far more important, as you cannot really see or avoid someone who cannot see you from behind - and hi-viz jackets and vests don't reflect much to drivers just using side lights - or driving towards other cars with their lights on.

The best rear light without going into silly money prices is the Cateye LD1100 - it also runs on 2 x AAs rather than AAAs and is fine with rechargeables. Its two rows of flashing LEDs that you can set sequences from about 6 options for each of the rows, and it also lights up to the sides. Its very bright.

http://trikeuniverse.com/uploads/utupgrades/11615544/picture1/icon.jpg

Sports Direct, If you have one close to you have front & Rear Bike Lights for £2.99, I just checked there website & its not on there though.

Here is the Addy to see where your nearest store is
sportsdirect.com/Sto…spx

I got mine for my OH in the Leicester

Hope that helps

My favorite set of lights.

]http//ww…=33

of course if these are too expensive they have a set in Poundland! At least you wont worry if they are nicked....

Wiggle.co.uk are a very good site

Original Poster

Thanks guys, will go to Sports Direct and Poundland today and have a look there! What is the RRP for reflexive vest?

ibiza;4785571

Polaris front LEDs are good value for money - you could probably get them … Polaris front LEDs are good value for money - you could probably get them as low as £6. A rear light is far more important, as you cannot really see or avoid someone who cannot see you from behind - and hi-viz jackets and vests don't reflect much to drivers just using side lights - or driving towards other cars with their lights on.The best rear light without going into silly money prices is the Cateye LD1100 - it also runs on 2 x AAs rather than AAAs and is fine with rechargeables. Its two rows of flashing LEDs that you can set sequences from about 6 options for each of the rows, and it also lights up to the sides. Its very bright.

Bear in mind that it is an offence to use any cycle lights in flashing mode when it is dark (unless you have another one showing a continuous light that is).

andythebrave;4787068

Bear in mind that it is an offence to use any cycle lights in flashing … Bear in mind that it is an offence to use any cycle lights in flashing mode when it is dark (unless you have another one showing a continuous light that is).

That light car show 5 constant and five flashing at the same time - or ten constant.

The law is actually against having a flashing light on a vehicle - which is why when they came out at first some people attached them to jackets and helmets.

I have two of these lights - all 20 LEDs flashing, as I ride on unlit roads at night fairly often.

I don't see a cop or a judge have the balls to attempt a prosecution never mind conviction - as there would be outrage from too many cyclists as they are the safest lights by miles. Additoinally - if its still the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations from 1971 that covers this - these lights had not even been thought of then.

ibiza;4789557

I don't see a cop or a judge have the balls to attempt a prosecution … I don't see a cop or a judge have the balls to attempt a prosecution never mind conviction - as there would be outrage from too many cyclists as they are the safest lights by miles. Additoinally - if its still the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations from 1971 that covers this - these lights had not even been thought of then.

You're probably right, just as they wouldn't dare attempt a prosecution over pavement cycling or jumping red lights.

I was merely pointing out that certain ways of operating lights mean that the rider would be breaking the law.

Sadly I know people who have been done for each offence (not the same person).

The most recent was a friends son who (about 14 years old) cycled through lights in Belgium - to be brought home by the police - who made his parents pay a 100 euro fine.

Original Poster

Well, I had no luck to find lights in Sports Direct in Stoke-on-Trent yesterday, will try Poundland today... Any other good shops in Stoke, where I could get a set?
Post a comment
@
    Text