Bicycle mounted camera

Posted 12th Mar
There are plenty of cameras that can be mounted on cycling helmets, but are there ones that can be mounted on the bike itself?

Anyone can recommend a decent cheap one? I am looking for one to mount on my bike. It doesn't have to be fancy just a decent cheap one if possible.

Would be good if easy to take with me when I lock the my bike up.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
There are hundreds.

A quick look on google and then check the reviews will provide you with all the information you require.
I never found a decent and cheap on, it's either decent or cheap.
I ended up using 2 GoPros, a 7 Black on the front and a 6 Black on the back. The 6 Black was an eBay refurb (posted on HUKD).
All the cheap ones I tried from Amazon were . Poor video quality and image stabilisation.

Whichever camera you do decide to get, most use a cage style mount. So you can easily remove the camera from the bike.
Don't forget if you go on longer rides, you'll need to use a power bank. Most internal camera batteries might only last 45 mins max.

Some links:
road.cc/con…era
road.cc/cat…ras
bikeradar.com/sea…ras
sammy12512/03/2020 11:41

There are hundreds.A quick look on google and then check the reviews will …There are hundreds.A quick look on google and then check the reviews will provide you with all the information you require.

i am hoping someone on here has used one and can recommend from personal experience. online reviews can be fake, especially if they come from amazon.
Don't buy one and stick it on your bike unless it's got some sort of gimbal to smooth it out, else it'll be bouncing around all over the place and it makes any footage unviewable. Mount it to your head, your body absorbs most of the bouncing/knocks.
BadMF12/03/2020 13:52

Don't buy one and stick it on your bike unless it's got some sort of …Don't buy one and stick it on your bike unless it's got some sort of gimbal to smooth it out, else it'll be bouncing around all over the place and it makes any footage unviewable. Mount it to your head, your body absorbs most of the bouncing/knocks.

when i looked at cameras for bicycle, most of the results were for helmet mounted rather than bike mounted. i couldn't understand why this is so but from derek's reply, having the camera on your helmet would give a wider non interrupted view as derek said he needed one for the front and one for the back. do the helmet mounted ones have both front and back cameras?

also now that you have said it, it does make sense that the bike would be more unstable than the rider as the rider not only absorb the bouncing, the rider will also be moving to minimise the impact during the ride.

i am guessing the bike mounted ones have a stabiliser and so are more expensive than the helmet mounted ones.
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell12/03/2020 12:50

I never found a decent and cheap on, it's either decent or cheap.I ended …I never found a decent and cheap on, it's either decent or cheap.I ended up using 2 GoPros, a 7 Black on the front and a 6 Black on the back. The 6 Black was an eBay refurb (posted on HUKD).All the cheap ones I tried from Amazon were . Poor video quality and image stabilisation.Whichever camera you do decide to get, most use a cage style mount. So you can easily remove the camera from the bike.Don't forget if you go on longer rides, you'll need to use a power bank. Most internal camera batteries might only last 45 mins max.Some links:https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/255982-how-choose-right-bike-camerahttps://road.cc/category/review-section/accessories/helmet-camerashttps://www.bikeradar.com/search/reviews/?q=cameras

thanks. i will have a look at the gopros and black. 45 minutes battery life is quite short, i would prefer an hour but i could cope with 45 minutes. only worry will be that as the battery gets older, this will reduce significantly and 45 minutes is already at the low end.
mutley112/03/2020 15:09

thanks. i will have a look at the gopros and black. 45 minutes battery …thanks. i will have a look at the gopros and black. 45 minutes battery life is quite short, i would prefer an hour but i could cope with 45 minutes. only worry will be that as the battery gets older, this will reduce significantly and 45 minutes is already at the low end.

The camera batteries (from any manufacturer) should be easily removable.
You can get official and 3rd party batteries.
If you carried a spare battery with you on a ride. You'd just need to remember to change it when it's due to run out.

Whichever camera you get, charge the battery up to 100% and time how long it records for at home, on the quality setting you're going to use when riding.
Then I'd deduct 2 mins off that time. So when you're riding, set an alarm on your phone to ring after 43 mins for example.
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell12/03/2020 15:46

The camera batteries (from any manufacturer) should be easily …The camera batteries (from any manufacturer) should be easily removable.You can get official and 3rd party batteries.If you carried a spare battery with you on a ride. You'd just need to remember to change it when it's due to run out.Whichever camera you get, charge the battery up to 100% and time how long it records for at home, on the quality setting you're going to use when riding.Then I'd deduct 2 mins off that time. So when you're riding, set an alarm on your phone to ring after 43 mins for example.

i just googled best affordable bicycle camera and it came up with "Spy Tec Mobius", which has up to 2 hours of battery life.
but when i saw a youtube video of it when someone wore it as he walked along the street, the footage was really unstable and he was only walking! i couldn't watch the video for more than a few seconds as it was making me feel dizzy.

i saw a video for the gopro hero 5 session and that was really good, and would suit me perfectly. that has an hour of battery life. but it is quite expensive as i was looking to spend less than £100 on a new camera. guess this doesn't exist for a decent camera.
mutley112/03/2020 15:54

i just googled best affordable bicycle camera and it came up with "Spy Tec …i just googled best affordable bicycle camera and it came up with "Spy Tec Mobius", which has up to 2 hours of battery life. but when i saw a youtube video of it when someone wore it as he walked along the street, the footage was really unstable and he was only walking! i couldn't watch the video for more than a few seconds as it was making me feel dizzy.i saw a video for the gopro hero 5 session and that was really good, and would suit me perfectly. that has an hour of battery life. but it is quite expensive as i was looking to spend less than £100 on a new camera. guess this doesn't exist for a decent camera.

I found all of the sub £100 cameras I tried (5 or 6 in total) were all useless.
That's why I switched to GoPro. I realised you get what you pay for.

This is the HUKD link for the eBay Certified Refurbished deal.
hotukdeals.com/dea…171
You should be able to get the direct eBay link from it.
mutley112/03/2020 15:54

i just googled best affordable bicycle camera and it came up with "Spy Tec …i just googled best affordable bicycle camera and it came up with "Spy Tec Mobius", which has up to 2 hours of battery life. but when i saw a youtube video of it when someone wore it as he walked along the street, the footage was really unstable and he was only walking! i couldn't watch the video for more than a few seconds as it was making me feel dizzy.i saw a video for the gopro hero 5 session and that was really good, and would suit me perfectly. that has an hour of battery life. but it is quite expensive as i was looking to spend less than £100 on a new camera. guess this doesn't exist for a decent camera.

Couldn't you post process your footage with video stabilisation software, although I'd guess you'd probably need a 4k camera as it would presumably loose a fair bit of resolution.

filmora.wondershare.com/vid…tml
melted12/03/2020 17:25

Couldn't you post process your footage with video stabilisation software, …Couldn't you post process your footage with video stabilisation software, although I'd guess you'd probably need a 4k camera as it would presumably loose a fair bit of resolution.https://filmora.wondershare.com/video-editing-tips/video-stabilizer-software.html

that sounds like a great idea. i will try to run the youtube video through and see whether it can stabilise the video.

update - it does work remarkably well. you do lose the clarity of the footage but not to an extent that the video is useless. however it takes a while to convert the video. i converted a video that was 1.5 minute long and that took about 5 minutes to do, so an hour footage would take a while to do. this is too time consuming. but good idea though, and was worth a try.
Edited by: "mutley1" 12th Mar
Get a GoPro. They are world known quality action cameras. All you need to do is buy a bike attachment for it.
halfords.com/cyc…ule

Look at the halfords link above & then have a look on ebay to buy cheaper.
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell12/03/2020 16:53

I found all of the sub £100 cameras I tried (5 or 6 in total) were all …I found all of the sub £100 cameras I tried (5 or 6 in total) were all useless.That's why I switched to GoPro. I realised you get what you pay for.This is the HUKD link for the eBay Certified Refurbished deal.https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/gopro-hero-6-black-certified-refurbished-sold-by-gopro-3370171You should be able to get the direct eBay link from it.

How did you find that camera? I am also looking for a dashcam so would it also work as a dashcam? If so, I don't mind spending the money as it would be cheaper than buying a cheap camera for the bike and a cheap dashcam.
Edited by: "mutley1" 14th Mar
mutley114/03/2020 12:44

How did you find that camera? I am also looking for a dashcam so would it …How did you find that camera? I am also looking for a dashcam so would it also work as a dashcam? If so, I don't mind spending the money as it would be cheaper than buying a cheap camera for the bike and a cheap dashcam.

You should be able to click the link in the description and it should take you to the official GoPro Refurb page.
I never link on any HUKD links, as I don't intend to give this site any money, if they keep removing my comments
If the camera isn't currently available, just bookmark the seller's page and keep checking back to see when they add more stock.
A GoPro should work as a Dashcam, but they do get warm when used for long periods of time (the wind cools it when riding), but I'm not sure if a dedicated Dashcam also gets warm when using in a car.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants