Big embarrassment for LEGO with the Technic 42113 Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey, were they right to cancel it?

Posted 26th JulEdited by:"minifig290"
For the first time in years LEGO has pulled a set from release after out cry from some people over the connection to a LEGO product and a real life war vehicle.

The 42113 LEGO Technic Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey was announced back in June for a August 1st release and it was received with open arms initially by most LEGO fans but just 13 days before its scheduled August 1st release a new campaign was released by the German Peace Society called LOVE BRICKS, HATE WAR!.

After 3 protest held outside German LEGO Brand stores, TLG finally announced 10 days before the sets scheduled release that it was going to cancel any more production of the set and scrap all units that had already been made. Lego also said that any retailer that had already been shipped stock could sell these sets but once stocks where gone they wouldn't be replenishing them.

Here's where the controversy is for many LEGO fans is that LEGO have made war released sets previously and wonder why now this set is being targeted by these protesters. In 2012 TLG released the 10226 Sopwith Camel based on a plane used in real life war, they also released a similar set in 2001 and 2002.

A petition has been launched to urge TLG to reverse their decision and release the set, maybe with a limited market making it a LEGO Store exclusive.

Thanks for reading and please take the couple mins to sign the petition for LEGO to reverse their decision. It need 5000 signatures at least.

- Change.org petition: change.org/p/l…rey

- Brickset article on the day the protests where announced: brickset.com/art…led
- Brickset article on the confirmed cancelation: brickset.com/art…led
- Love Bricks, Hate War! page: dfg-vk.de/sta…ite

What are your thoughts on LEGO's decision, are they right to cancel it and do they go against LEGO's brand values against war? Please keep comments respectful

For those wondering this set had a small availability this morning at Argos, listed at £124.99 but eBay prices are going for around £1000 on average which is insane and one reason many want their decision reversed to cut the resale price massively.

Argos page: argos.co.uk/pro…678

3512798.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
furbars26/07/2020 09:47

Very true Lego is for children, when I was a kid I used to make tanks and …Very true Lego is for children, when I was a kid I used to make tanks and planes can't remember it causing any offence back them :/ .

I just feel sorry for kids these days I honestly do.
It’s a toy, the world is in a sad state of affairs when a child’s aeroplane toy has to be cancelled due to some snowflakes.
Edited by: "Kratos69" 26th Jul
JumpMan198026/07/2020 10:18

Be good to get hold of one of the ones that slipped through the net

Or several
41495974-LGiPR.jpg
Kratos6926/07/2020 09:40

It’s a toy, the world is in a sad state of affairs when a child’s aer …It’s a toy, the world is in a sad state of affairs when a child’s aeroplane toy has to be cancelled due to some snowflakes.

Very true Lego is for children, when I was a kid I used to make tanks and planes can't remember it causing any offence back then
Edited by: "furbars" 26th Jul
63 Comments
Lego in 2009: releases not only a German army plane, a German Nazi army military plane:

41492851.jpg

I know licenced themes have different rules, but it’s literally got the German army cross on the wings lol
Edited by: "sammy_zammy" 26th Jul
"The big issue with this Technic set is its based of a real life helicopter used by the German army for search and rescue, with every sale they would support Boeing and Bell. The helicopter though not used for any physical fighting supposedly goes against LEGO's brand values of not releasing any sets based on real life war."

I don't know if you're posting this misinformation because you're not familiar with the V-22 Osprey or because you want to support your position but almost everything in this paragraph is completely wrong and gives an extremely misleading view of the V-22. It was built for the marines and it was built for combat, it's spent much of its time transporting soldiers into combat zones in the middle east so I've no idea how you could think it's not used for physical fighting. I can't find any information that Germany own or operate any V-22's, they're not even listed as a potential operator and the only references I can find for it being used as German search and rescue are other pages on Lego cancelling the set. The only non-US operator of the V-22 currently is Japan and they're not using it for search and rescue but for amphibious combat operations.

Make no mistake, the V-22 was made for combat operations and that's where they've spent most of their life with search and rescue as a much more minor role. Based on that I can't say I'm keen on Lego making a design like this and I don't see it as being comparable with the Sopwith Camel set, the biplane design is far from being specifically a combat design unlike the V-22 Osprey which is a distinctive and relative unique combat aircraft and it's also currently deployed in combat operations.
Johnmcl726/07/2020 01:11

I don't see it as being comparable with the Sopwith Camel set, the biplane …I don't see it as being comparable with the Sopwith Camel set, the biplane design is far from being specifically a combat design unlike the V-22 Osprey

The 10226 Sopwith Camel clearly has two machine guns in front of the cockpit. If that doesn't make it specifically a combat design, I don't know what would!
Johnmcl726/07/2020 01:11

"The big issue with this Technic set is its based of a real life …"The big issue with this Technic set is its based of a real life helicopter used by the German army for search and rescue, with every sale they would support Boeing and Bell. The helicopter though not used for any physical fighting supposedly goes against LEGO's brand values of not releasing any sets based on real life war."I don't know if you're posting this misinformation because you're not familiar with the V-22 Osprey or because you want to support your position but almost everything in this paragraph is completely wrong and gives an extremely misleading view of the V-22. It was built for the marines and it was built for combat, it's spent much of its time transporting soldiers into combat zones in the middle east so I've no idea how you could think it's not used for physical fighting. I can't find any information that Germany own or operate any V-22's, they're not even listed as a potential operator and the only references I can find for it being used as German search and rescue are other pages on Lego cancelling the set. The only non-US operator of the V-22 currently is Japan and they're not using it for search and rescue but for amphibious combat operations.Make no mistake, the V-22 was made for combat operations and that's where they've spent most of their life with search and rescue as a much more minor role. Based on that I can't say I'm keen on Lego making a design like this and I don't see it as being comparable with the Sopwith Camel set, the biplane design is far from being specifically a combat design unlike the V-22 Osprey which is a distinctive and relative unique combat aircraft and it's also currently deployed in combat operations.

I have absolutely no idea about planes and war equipment, the information provided in my post is just based off what I have seen from articles and videos surrounding this situation.

Upon reading your comment I can see i have written some utter rubbish in that sentence and I will correct that with real information in the morning with a clear head

Weather this changes my opinion on if It should or shouldn't have been cancelled idk atm sorta in the middle now.

For the time being i have removed that paragraph as spreading misinformation isn't something I intend on.
Edited by: "minifig290" 26th Jul
I was personally interested in the osprey for the same reason i admire the military chinook. I am not overtly political so the issue of cancelling this set does not exactly fill me with joy, especially as resellers have ruined any chance of me making a purchase.

These days companies cave at the drop off a hat becuase of the fragile world we currently live in. Democracy and freedom of speech is dieing off a little each day. Commentary and debates are being sanitized and all it takes is a few accusations to ruin careers or remove cultural films from the repositories.

It starts with stuff like the osprey and will end with anything that mildly offends in future..once groups see that they weild this kind of power, they and others will continue to push the boundries.

Very sad indeed
minifig29026/07/2020 02:09

...Upon reading your comment I can see i have written some utter rubbish …...Upon reading your comment I can see i have written some utter rubbish in that sentence and I will correct that with real information in the morning with a clear head

Just keep the first two words of the thread title and bin everything else.
It's just Lego.
Lego were right to cancel, it's an out and out
Present day warcraft
Built by a very mercenary dishonest arms manufacturer.
Boeing 737 read up on it.
Shocked Lego even considered paying and advertising for such a sleazy bunch.
It’s a toy, the world is in a sad state of affairs when a child’s aeroplane toy has to be cancelled due to some snowflakes.
Edited by: "Kratos69" 26th Jul

It’s a toy, the world is in a sad state of affairs when a child’s aer …It’s a toy, the world is in a sad state of affairs when a child’s aeroplane toy has to be cancelled due to some snowflakes.

Very true Lego is for children, when I was a kid I used to make tanks and planes can't remember it causing any offence back then
Edited by: "furbars" 26th Jul
furbars26/07/2020 09:47

Very true Lego is for children, when I was a kid I used to make tanks and …Very true Lego is for children, when I was a kid I used to make tanks and planes can't remember it causing any offence back them :/ .

I just feel sorry for kids these days I honestly do.

A couple years back me and a mate took his little boy(5 years old) in to town as they had a little christmas fair and then for something to eat.

At the fair we won a plastic bow and arrow set with auction cups. Went to the pub after and there was 3 old chaps sitting next to us when my mates little boy took out what he won to look at it.

The amount of abuse we got from them was unreal as we was "promoting" violence and should be ashamed etc.

It’s got nothing to do with snowflakes. Lego’s own company policy is not to make sets of planes/etc that are used in current war action. It used to be no war related sets at all! This particular Osprey is only used in war action. There is no rescue version yet which Lego were aiming for. I say good for Lego for sticking to their own rules!
Resali26/07/2020 10:10

It’s got nothing to do with snowflakes. Lego’s own company policy is not to …It’s got nothing to do with snowflakes. Lego’s own company policy is not to make sets of planes/etc that are used in current war action. It used to be no war related sets at all! This particular Osprey is only used in war action. There is no rescue version yet which Lego were aiming for. I say good for Lego for sticking to their own rules!

This being exactly my point.
Sc4mp026/07/2020 10:00

A couple years back me and a mate took his little boy(5 years old) in to …A couple years back me and a mate took his little boy(5 years old) in to town as they had a little christmas fair and then for something to eat.At the fair we won a plastic bow and arrow set with auction cups. Went to the pub after and there was 3 old chaps sitting next to us when my mates little boy took out what he won to look at it.The amount of abuse we got from them was unreal as we was "promoting" violence and should be ashamed etc.

It’s ridiculous isn’t it, it’s like children are not allowed to be children anymore.
Here's one for the German Peace Society. And the Gender Police for that matter

41494329-9zLKW.jpg

What for$$$
Unless I missed it, one point of interest has been overlooked - protesters were able to target Lego because money from the sale of this product went back to Boeing which is who they actually take offence to.
Edited by: "JumpMan1980" 26th Jul
Sc4mp026/07/2020 10:23

What for$$$

Either to keep as a true limited edition or to sell on. Just read that AFOL (adult fans of Lego)/ collectors will be trading the available units for (relatively speaking) lots of 💰

Or several
41495974-LGiPR.jpg
JumpMan198026/07/2020 15:13

How much & where are you selling them?

I've only 1 for sale and that's on eBay.
Connorsdad26/07/2020 15:18

I've only 1 for sale and that's on eBay.

What’s the exact ad title please?
JumpMan198026/07/2020 15:19

What’s the exact ad title please?

There's lots on eBay, search "Lego 42113"
Connorsdad26/07/2020 15:22

There's lots on eBay, search "Lego 42113"

Would you take £500 for it today?
Thats is the highest price going so far...
mrsandmum26/07/2020 15:30

[Image]

Oh I see. Should have looked at prices myself first. My bad. I’ll sit this one out
mrsandmum26/07/2020 15:30

[Image]

One reason people want it to be released easily, the prices are insanely stupid but hey that's resellers.
Edited by: "minifig290" 26th Jul
Buying to resell is very risky as LEGO are currently asking eBay to cancel all listings, mainly due to price gouging. I wasn't allowed to list the 50 that I had ;-(
BabyDog26/07/2020 18:02

Buying to resell is very risky as LEGO are currently asking eBay to cancel …Buying to resell is very risky as LEGO are currently asking eBay to cancel all listings, mainly due to price gouging. I wasn't allowed to list the 50 that I had ;-(

No they aren't and there's no risk at all as they could just return them to the shop for a full refund.
Sc4mp026/07/2020 10:00

A couple years back me and a mate took his little boy(5 years old) in to …A couple years back me and a mate took his little boy(5 years old) in to town as they had a little christmas fair and then for something to eat.At the fair we won a plastic bow and arrow set with auction cups. Went to the pub after and there was 3 old chaps sitting next to us when my mates little boy took out what he won to look at it.The amount of abuse we got from them was unreal as we was "promoting" violence and should be ashamed etc.

I say this (partly) in jest but I think you missed a perfect opportunity to try out the little boy's newly acquired weaponry Three blokes, three suction cups to the forehead *

* disclaimer: children, please do not attempt this
Resali26/07/2020 10:10

It’s got nothing to do with snowflakes. Lego’s own company policy is not to …It’s got nothing to do with snowflakes. Lego’s own company policy is not to make sets of planes/etc that are used in current war action. It used to be no war related sets at all! This particular Osprey is only used in war action. There is no rescue version yet which Lego were aiming for. I say good for Lego for sticking to their own rules!

Why praise lego?

they spent time designing it and working with the Arms manufacturers to collaborate on the product. They only changed their mind at the eleventh hour due to a backlash.

so don’t pat them on the back, they were very happy to do it until the last minute when theywere called out.
Rumours of a design flaw are online.
LEGO would of spent to much time and money designing and developing the set to just "cancel" it. They will re-brand and re-release it at a later date. Most likely by just removing the Boeing/Osprey branding/licence. Then we can all laugh at the idiots that paid £1500+ for it
Damm I missed out, I called up Argos to check the stock in Brum and a few other towns. All sold! and same with John Lewis
lewis.fisher27/07/2020 14:35

LEGO would of spent to much time and money designing and developing the …LEGO would of spent to much time and money designing and developing the set to just "cancel" it. They will re-brand and re-release it at a later date. Most likely by just removing the Boeing/Osprey branding/licence. Then we can all laugh at the idiots that paid £1500+ for it

Clearly with that comment you don’t understand collectors, doesn’t matter if they rerelease people still want things that are printed in limited numbers.

That aside Lego won’t release again in a different guise as they’ll just walk away from it
Bagged 12 from Argos Saturday am💥
Edited by: "shizzlemydiddle" 27th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants