Big issue sellers standing outside of food outlets.

Found 16th May
Hi, Was recently in a town centre doing a paving job, Noticed a big issue seller standing outside of the bakery with a very large holdall, could not notice that as well as people handing him quite a few pounds and the odd what looked like £5 note, also many people would come out of the bakery with sandwiches, cakes or pasties, he would reply that he would eat it later for his lunch, in the few hours I was there I would estimate he was handed around 30 plus food items from the bakery and we'll over £50, It is no wonder he needed such a large holdall as by the end of the day it must be packed with food items, It would not surprise me if many off the pensioners who were giving him food items would then to home and feed there poor old husband's beans on toast, why the big issue seller takes home some very nice meat filled pies and sandwiches. What could be possibly do with that much food?, and if he is taking it home to his family then surely he is entitled to benefits and has a home probably getting more money than most of the people and pensioners that are feeling sorry for him, infact I am thinking it would be a better career option for myself, no more back braking work for barely over the minimum wage and plenty of fresh bakery food.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Your gullible Caroline, the big issue seller outside my old work had a house and a car
How do you know that the big issue seller is not homeless?? Your being extremely judgemental.

Big issue sellers have to pay for their own mgazines to sell. They only make a little bit off each sale.

Is holdall probably contained a sleepbag, any medication needed. I wouldnt know because i dont judge them like you are. Sorry but you make me sick.
go for it then good luck in your new profession seems like a great career move for you
Edited by: "Infractionboi" 16th May
I can't see a problem here , what's the big issue
32 Comments
go for it then good luck in your new profession seems like a great career move for you
Edited by: "Infractionboi" 16th May
How do you know that the big issue seller is not homeless?? Your being extremely judgemental.

Big issue sellers have to pay for their own mgazines to sell. They only make a little bit off each sale.

Is holdall probably contained a sleepbag, any medication needed. I wouldnt know because i dont judge them like you are. Sorry but you make me sick.
Your gullible Caroline, the big issue seller outside my old work had a house and a car
You could have asked what he was going to do with all that food
OP Maybe when your luck is down and your dont have enough money to make ends meet, and you decide to try and do something like selling the Big Issue, post it on here and then we can all judge you.
jb6626 m ago

Your gullible Caroline, the big issue seller outside my old work had a …Your gullible Caroline, the big issue seller outside my old work had a house and a car

Im far from gullible, People like the op look at big issues sellers in disgust. Judging them because they were being given food. Ive helped the homeless and big issue sellers. Ive seen people in tescos in the city centres looking them up and down when they are at the reduced items and when they are getting the reduced cooked chickens to take back to share with the other homeless people.
jb6634 m ago

Your gullible Caroline, the big issue seller outside my old work had a …Your gullible Caroline, the big issue seller outside my old work had a house and a car

So what are you saying, he had another job? If the guy can afford a house and a car off selling a magazine for £1.25 profit then good look to him, he must move some volumes.

you sound jealous!
Wow really How judgmental are you!!
jb661 h, 27 m ago

What happened to the house and car? Did they lose it? No wonder they were selling the big issue then, must be difficult when that sort of thing happens.
Dannyrobbo1 h, 8 m ago

So what are you saying, he had another job? If the guy can afford a house …So what are you saying, he had another job? If the guy can afford a house and a car off selling a magazine for £1.25 profit then good look to him, he must move some volumes.you sound jealous!

I Imagine he gets the dole and a council house also
ipswich7816 m ago

What happened to the house and car? Did they lose it? No wonder they were …What happened to the house and car? Did they lose it? No wonder they were selling the big issue then, must be difficult when that sort of thing happens.

Well I say had as he is now in jail
I can't see a problem here , what's the big issue
The homeless I see tend to be doing about the same as the rest of us as far as I can see. They have no responsibilities, they've complete freedom. Most of the ones I see are clearly making upwards of £50 a day and not paying taxes (£18k a year tax free). With no bills to worry about and food mostly taken care of by charitable people their only expenses are their drug addictions, phone credit and whether or not they want to pay for a cheap hostel for the night.

In terms of prospects they may appear limited but a few years of saving and cheap living and they'll be in a better position than a lot of people who are giving them money.
jb6641 m ago

I Imagine he gets the dole and a council house also

Cool story.
Most of the people handing him money were not taking a copy of the big issue, also when I lived in Rhyl the same person was doing the same patch for several months, for what reason would be not be eligible for benefits and housing? Especially when at the end of each day he would get picked up In a fairly new 7 seater by what looked like could possibly be his wife and kids.
I love the way people in these types of thread say things like "Most of the ones I see are clearly making upwards of £50 a day"....

It makes me wonder if the people saying this are unemployed themselves, or something. After all, they appear to have lots of time during the day to stand around watching homeless people for 8 hours or more and keepng count of the money "most" homeless people receive!!!

I see homeless people and wouldn't be able to tell you if they made £1 a day, let alone upwards of £50 per day...cus I'm too busy doing work.
Edited by: "artnada" 16th May
Caroline_19932 h, 46 m ago

How do you know that the big issue seller is not homeless?? Your being …How do you know that the big issue seller is not homeless?? Your being extremely judgemental...

I interpret OP comment as primarily observational, not judgemental. But I respect all opinion, even if that opinion is erroneous...
Caroline_19933 h, 27 m ago

How do you know that the big issue seller is not homeless?? Your being …How do you know that the big issue seller is not homeless?? Your being extremely judgemental. Big issue sellers have to pay for their own mgazines to sell. They only make a little bit off each sale. Is holdall probably contained a sleepbag, any medication needed. I wouldnt know because i dont judge them like you are. Sorry but you make me sick.

The way the bag was fairly collapsed at the start of the day it did not appear to hold sleeping bags etc. If they are genuinely homeless then yes of help them out but when you have the same person standing there for months on end probably collecting around £100 plus pounds a day tax free and more food than they can possibly eat, then I would say it is being abused in a lot of cases. I am not saying every big issue seller is pulling the wool, but would say there is a lot that are better of then the people who they are taking money from, you have single people earning less than £200 a week and having to pay there own rent etc, why at the same time I bet a lot of these street collectors have there rent paid, are getting X amount in benefits and also getting £100 plus a day tax free and no food bills.

You say I make you sick, but what more concerns me is we have many pensioners in this country living on very little money and can not afford heating, they could be getting duped by the street collectors who could be getting more in one day than what the pensioner gets a week. What would make you more sick, me or someone who is taking money from people who are worse of than themselves?
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 16th May
I don’t buy anything from street sellers, I donate to my local food bank in the hope it feed truly needy people (I know it too can be abused), I think having people around towns just encourages that way of life for SOME rather than getting them the help and support they need from local authorities and charities. It’s also much harder to get drugs/drink for food than it is for money.
artnada2 h, 26 m ago

I love the way people in these types of thread say things like "Most of …I love the way people in these types of thread say things like "Most of the ones I see are clearly making upwards of £50 a day"....It makes me wonder if the people saying this are unemployed themselves, or something. After all, they appear to have lots of time during the day to stand around watching homeless people for 8 hours or more and keepng count of the money "most" homeless people receive!!! I see homeless people and wouldn't be able to tell you if they made £1 a day, let alone upwards of £50 per day...cus I'm too busy doing work.

You don't work in an office overlooking a street? You can't take a 10 min fresh air break once in a while or lunch outside? If I can see 5 people give a pound or more and 1 person give in a note in the space of the few minutes I spend outside in a day it's not hard to extrapolate earnings over time. I won't deny I'm underworked though but then I'm also underpaid so it evens out.

I didn't say most homeless people. I just said most of the ones I see. This is between the city where I work and the city where I live. Most of the ones I see I watch purely because they're properly shady characters and it's best to keep an eye for my own safety. You get to recognise the same people who have been begging for years. When they move areas within a city centre it's generally because they annoyed someone enough that a court order was issues banning them from a certain location.
Edited by: "omgpleasespamme" 16th May
Caroline_19934 h, 57 m ago

How do you know that the big issue seller is not homeless?? Your being …How do you know that the big issue seller is not homeless?? Your being extremely judgemental. Big issue sellers have to pay for their own mgazines to sell. They only make a little bit off each sale. Is holdall probably contained a sleepbag, any medication needed. I wouldnt know because i dont judge them like you are. Sorry but you make me sick.

The OP said the person was handed lots of baked items and they were put into the holdall, you decide that this isn't true even though you weren't their and say that the OP (who's just relaying their observations) makes you sick. That's really a bit harsh.
MIDURIX13 m ago

The OP said the person was handed lots of baked items and they were put …The OP said the person was handed lots of baked items and they were put into the holdall, you decide that this isn't true even though you weren't their and say that the OP (who's just relaying their observations) makes you sick. That's really a bit harsh.

I know i wasnt “there” - the op was being very judgemental - not just towards the big issue seller but the elderly.
Im another one who rarely gives to Street beggars. If i do I talk to them first and find out their story.

There used to be one outside of morrisons around here, he had a flashy iphone, and whenever he got a note he was off into morrisons buying cider. He used to say he had no money for food but if someone offered him food he said it wasn't enough.

There's also them joke book sellers appearing all over. They are as annoying. Strangely they usually pop up at bank holidays in Keswick around here. Saying they just live down the road and just lost their job, etc.
Blatant lies as its the lake district, and its impossible to tan here. He looked like david dickinson with a Newcastle accent.
Caroline_19932 h, 58 m ago

I know i wasnt “there” - the op was being very judgemental - not just tow …I know i wasnt “there” - the op was being very judgemental - not just towards the big issue seller but the elderly.

“People like the OP look at big issue sellers in disgust”..... Caroline_1993 doesn’t do judgemental, but if she did, it’d probably be the best judgemental in the world.
cmdr_elito8 h, 10 m ago

I don’t buy anything from street sellers, I donate to my local food bank i …I don’t buy anything from street sellers, I donate to my local food bank in the hope it feed truly needy people (I know it too can be abused), I think having people around towns just encourages that way of life for SOME rather than getting them the help and support they need from local authorities and charities. It’s also much harder to get drugs/drink for food than it is for money.

that's what I do too. The latest trend round here is to stand at traffic lights begging. I keep my Windows closed. I'm not averse to buying the big issue but I certainly wouldn't do more than that.
Murgatr0yd9 h, 20 m ago

“People like the OP look at big issue sellers in disgust”..... Car …“People like the OP look at big issue sellers in disgust”..... Caroline_1993 doesn’t do judgemental, but if she did, it’d probably be the best judgemental in the world.

How do I look at them in disgust, I just dislike the fact that they could be taking advantage of what the big issue was originally set up for p, and getting more money than the people they are taking from.
SOUTHWALES1 h, 12 m ago

How do I look at them in disgust, I just dislike the fact that they could …How do I look at them in disgust, I just dislike the fact that they could be taking advantage of what the big issue was originally set up for p, and getting more money than the people they are taking from.

It was a quote of a comment already posted.
jb6618 h, 56 m ago

Like me when I came to UK in the 2000s. I thought that "chuggers" were volunteers for the charities.
Why dont you get a camcorder with a zoom and then you can film him from a distance and then put it on youtube.
I pay thousands of pounds in Tax every year, this money pays for benefits and housing costs to the less fortunate. I don't need to buy sandwiches or hand over more money to beggers in the street, thanks.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants