Big Six energy suppliers will be forced to give up 'sticky' customers - The Telegraph

Found 13th FebEdited by:"m00head"
telegraph.co.uk/bus…rs/

Quote:
"The Big Six energy suppliers will be forced to sacrifice thousands of customers who are stuck on poor value deals to an auction where rival suppliers can make a better offer.

The radical shake-up will be outlined by the regulator this week in its latest bid to dismantle the two-tier market which ignited political calls for a cap on standard energy prices across 11 million homes. One of the Big Six has already been forced to pass on the data for 50,000 of its customers who have failed to shop around for a better deal in the last three years.

Dermot Nolan, Ofgem’s chief executive, told The Sunday Telegraph that the 50,000 “sticky” customers in the first round will be contacted by the end of the month and will be able to take up the auction winner’s rock bottom deal in April. The customers can decline the chance to opt-in to the switch too.

“This may not be a magic bullet. There probably are none. But it’s one of the things that we are looking at to try to make the market more competitive,” Mr Nolan said.

He added that if the trial proves to be a success the regulator will hold more auctions with a larger number of customers, accelerating the switching rate at a stroke. The energy industry’s recent advances in data use mean that unlike existing collective switch schemes customers will not need to sign up or input their data to receive an average estimate of the savings they could make."
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Sorry to get all selfish on your bottom
this may be great news for the 'sticky' customers(even if they don't realise)

for the rest of us bad news our bills are going to go up.
20 Comments
I think it's silly that you pretty much HAVE to change suppliers every year in order to get a better deal than the renewal from your current supplier.
I bang on about comparing and switching every year, several times a week on here .Doesn't matter whether its energy , Home Insurance , Car Insurance, Broadband , Phone ,TV etc etc .

Sadly you can only lead some sheep to water . Its daft when a cream bun can go way hot on here while many members could save hundreds of pounds a year by spending 10 minutes comparing .

Members , please read the comments/recommendations on those boring energy and insurance threads and with less than an hour comparing and switching , you will be able to afford at least one cream bun every day of the year
Uranus13th Feb

I think it's silly that you pretty much HAVE to change suppliers every …I think it's silly that you pretty much HAVE to change suppliers every year in order to get a better deal than the renewal from your current supplier.

You do , mainly because the suppliers / insurers give such chunky discounts to get your custom in the hope you will stay with them and not bother to compare the following year (customer inertia) . Cashbacks /Discounts available widely are £100 + for energy , £80 -£100 on Car Insurance and £70 + on Home insurance , I've had all three this year for minimal effort .

I will agree its becoming a pain , but it is such a significant amount of dosh that you have to do it , What used to be fun (saving a bit of money) - you now feel bound to do on a matter of principle
Sorry to get all selfish on your bottom
this may be great news for the 'sticky' customers(even if they don't realise)

for the rest of us bad news our bills are going to go up.
I got told by the company I was trying to move to that I couldn't move because I had a dual tariff meter.
My pet hate is that people who have metered gas/electricity invariably get the worst deal per kWh. A total sham that needs to be addressed. There is no excuse for this at all.
Agree to a point but not worth it with car insurance for me, the comparison sites haven't managed to get a deal I get by going direct in 8 years. I still have a quick check.
OllieSt7 h, 37 m ago

My pet hate is that people who have metered gas/electricity invariably get …My pet hate is that people who have metered gas/electricity invariably get the worst deal per kWh. A total sham that needs to be addressed. There is no excuse for this at all.

Are you referring to meters people have to top up as and when they need?
OllieSt10 h, 28 m ago

My pet hate is that people who have metered gas/electricity invariably get …My pet hate is that people who have metered gas/electricity invariably get the worst deal per kWh. A total sham that needs to be addressed. There is no excuse for this at all.

Well were all supposed to have smart meters to solve the problem
interesting article on what went wrong
dieterhelm.co.uk/ene…it/
while I agree it is not great that 6 million are still on key meters the problem is often overplayed
you don't pay a huge amount extra and it is much easier to manage your bill
OllieSt1 h, 41 m ago

Yes

Isn't the reason that companies can't anticipate their incomes accurately. That's why they offer direct debit discounts to customers who have periodic bills.
Wongy1108 h, 6 m ago

Well were all supposed to have smart meters to solve the …Well were all supposed to have smart meters to solve the probleminteresting article on what went wronghttp://www.dieterhelm.co.uk/energy/energy/not-so-smart-what-has-gone-wrong-with-the-smart-meter-programme-and-how-to-fix-it/while I agree it is not great that 6 million are still on key meters the problem is often overplayedyou don't pay a huge amount extra and it is much easier to manage your bill

Smart meters is the way forward. I guess they'll be smart enough to ensure that key meter users today will still have their electricity/gas turned off if they run out of credit. Let's see if those in that position can change tariffs or suppliers with the same ease as others can.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals7 h, 58 m ago

Isn't the reason that companies can't anticipate their incomes accurately. …Isn't the reason that companies can't anticipate their incomes accurately. That's why they offer direct debit discounts to customers who have periodic bills.

Direct debit discounts and monthly budget payments are the cheapest way to pay for your gas/electric. Millionaires et al should be paying by that method. Those that choose to pay their bill quarterly are paying over the odds for no good reason. I could never convince my mother that there was more to utility supply than 'a trustworthy BT engineer and a nice British Gas man' and 'paying quarterly was what she had always done'.

When it comes to key meters they have normally been installed by a utility company because of account arrears. That's fair enough, but to then charge more per kWh is not helpful. They used to claim it was to offset the cost of the install, but that's nonsense because the expensive kWh never gets reduced after a period of time. Key meter customers pay for their usage in advance.They should get the best price, not the worst price.

There are many tenants that have to deal with this extra expense senario due to landlords opting for a meter (I've no idea why because a landlord is not liable for unpaid bills).

Council/housing association tenants are also subjected to this 'preferred' method of payment, the people who can least afford to be paying more for their fuel.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 14th Feb
OllieSt11 m ago

Smart meters is the way forward. I guess they'll be smart enough to …Smart meters is the way forward. I guess they'll be smart enough to ensure that key meter users today will still have their electricity/gas turned off if they run out of credit. Let's see if those in that position can change tariffs or suppliers with the same ease as others can.Direct debit discounts and monthly budget payments are the cheapest way to pay for your gas/electric. Millionaires et al should be paying by that method. Those that choose to pay their bill quarterly are paying over the odds for no good reason. I could never convince my mother that there was more to utility supply than 'a trustworthy BT engineer and a nice British Gas man' and 'paying quarterly was what she had always done'.When it comes to key meters they have normally been installed by a utility company because of account arrears. That's fair enough, but to then charge more per kWh is not helpful. They used to claim it was to offset the cost of the install, but that's nonsense because the expensive kWh never gets reduced after a period of time. Key meter customers pay for their usage in advance.They should get the best price, not the worst price. There are many tenants that have to deal with this extra expense senario due to landlords opting for a meter (I've no idea why because a landlord is not liable for unpaid bills). Council/housing association tenants are also subjected to this 'preferred' method of payment, the people who can least afford to be paying more for their fuel.

"Smart meters is the way forward"
If you ask me the way forward is get rid of these companies
why do we even need anyone 'selling' us energy ?
When they can't even sort out installing meters that would help them and us massively.
Wongy11014 h, 13 m ago

"Smart meters is the way forward"If you ask me the way forward is get rid …"Smart meters is the way forward"If you ask me the way forward is get rid of these companies why do we even need anyone 'selling' us energy ?When they can't even sort out installing meters that would help them and us massively.

Yeah, paying different prices to different energy companies for exactly the same electricity & gas delivered to your house using exactly the same infrastructure (over the same cables & pipes) makes no sense to me.

It would make more sense if the energy prices were set independently (by the government like they are for train tickets?) including a fixed/variable profit margin and the energy companies compete for business based on customer service or innovative features.
m00head4 h, 22 m ago

Yeah, paying different prices to different energy companies for exactly …Yeah, paying different prices to different energy companies for exactly the same electricity & gas delivered to your house using exactly the same infrastructure (over the same cables & pipes) makes no sense to me.It would make more sense if the energy prices were set independently (by the government like they are for train tickets?) including a fixed/variable profit margin and the energy companies compete for business based on customer service or innovative features.

Yeah but why can we not just scrap these pointless 'companies' full stop ?
(notice how these water companies were so quick to install smart meters when they had a complete monopoly)
Wongy1102 h, 40 m ago

Yeah but why can we not just scrap these pointless 'companies' full stop …Yeah but why can we not just scrap these pointless 'companies' full stop ?(notice how these water companies were so quick to install smart meters when they had a complete monopoly)

Why stop there... my Waitrose apples cost way more than Lidl, should be a standard price everywhere. In fact the government should just buy all the apples and sell tem to us cheaply...
Flodd2 m ago

Why stop there... my Waitrose apples cost way more than Lidl, should be a …Why stop there... my Waitrose apples cost way more than Lidl, should be a standard price everywhere. In fact the government should just buy all the apples and sell tem to us cheaply...

Did you really engage your brain ffs ?
Wongy11043 s ago

Did you really engage your brain ffs ?

Did you?
Flodd1 m ago

Did you?

Do you even know where apples come from ?
Edited by: "Wongy110" 15th Feb
Pears.

What are these people like
Got my bill today and despite an only marginal increase in usage they want to put my DD up 35%.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions