Groups

Bike advice/help!

Right I'm looking for a new bike as I've outgrown mine finally.
    I think I'm looking for a hardtail'd mountain bike and it's going to be used to bike to school and back every day (3-4 miles), and maybe the odd off-route trail ever month or few weeks.
    I've been having a look at the Claude Butler Stone River for £230 and at the Giant Boulder 2008 for £215, any opinions on these?
    Don't really want to be paying more than £230.
    Thanks.

20 Comments

If you're not a snob about having this years model, then paulscycles.co.uk/off…t=1 has excellent prices for last seasons bikes. I've used them before with no problems.
    With your price range definitely DON'T go for full suss, get a rigid or hart tail at the most.
    When choosing, check out the spec of the components as decent gears & brakes make all the difference.
    Good luck.

Original Poster

Thanks for the link, would actually rather get 2008 or even '07 models as they are cheaper and there tends to be more reviews on the net for them.

And yeah I've always found that full suspension bikes look like little kids ones (even though I am a little kid).

Thanks.

Get yourself a Yamaha YZF R1 ... stop all that peddlin' nonsense!! :-D

Original Poster

I'm 14....
    :whistling:

weirdwilli;4468203

I'm 14....:whistling:

grow a beard! No one will know!! :-D

Original Poster

Maybe even a goatee to fool the insurance company.

Cheers, I'll clear off now, I dont want to spoil your thread ..... :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Haha, rep left for the fun of it.

Original Poster

Bumpo..

the gadget show always said the
    Marin Northside Mountain Bike
    was the best but a little pricey for your budget(]£391)

:whistling:

there is one on ]flea bay currently £191

Is the Stone River the disc braked model and the Boulder has V's? If so then I would go for the cable discs. Not as good as hydraulics, but won't get those at this price, and still a lot better than v brakes.

If they both have discs (two good deals at those prices) then i would take the Giant. But only because I have the Yukon already and love that.

Original Poster

Ta, bit over my budget though as you said.

I'd have a look at one of these. £20 over budget but a good starting point for upgrading at a later date.

]http//ww…442

]Evans Cycles have got some really good deals on bikes at the moment. I have just bought a ]Pinnacle Peak 1.0, [IMG]evanscycles.com/pro…jpg?1227109602[/IMG]which is a little above your budget at £250.
    There is a ]Claud Butler Pagan which offers a superb spec for £220,
    [IMG]evanscycles.com/pro…jpg?1227107773[/IMG]]
    GT Outpost
    is a great bike at £230.
    [IMG]evanscycles.com/pro…jpg?1227134139[/IMG]
    Here is the full list of ]hardtail mountain bikes from £150 to £250, delivery is free.

Original Poster

AyrshireBacon;4478872

Is the Stone River the disc braked model and the Boulder has V's? If so … Is the Stone River the disc braked model and the Boulder has V's? If so then I would go for the cable discs. Not as good as hydraulics, but won't get those at this price, and still a lot better than v brakes.If they both have discs (two good deals at those prices) then i would take the Giant. But only because I have the Yukon already and love that.

Yeah the Boulder only has V brakes, although I don't really see the attraction of Disk brakes apart from the fact that they should last longer and be more reliable. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, with V brakes you have the advantage of being able to slowly stop by increasing the pressure on the breaks, while with disk brakes you cannot do this, can you?
    Thanks.

GAVINLEWISHUKD;4478907

I'd have a look at one of these. £20 over budget but a good starting … I'd have a look at one of these. £20 over budget but a good starting point for upgrading at a later date.EDIT: Pugw$sh, any idea if the Pagan (or any of the other bikes for that matter) are any better than the Stone River?]http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25442

Thanks, will take a look at that one, although that's really on the boundary of what I want to pay.

EDIT: Pugw$sh, any idea if the Pagan (or any of the other bikes) are better than the Stone River?

weirdwilli;4478957

Thanks, will take a look at that one, although that's really on the … Thanks, will take a look at that one, although that's really on the boundary of what I want to pay.

Yes I know but instead of getting a new one in a year or two just upgrade a few bits when they are on offer. Also as they are not a known make with the thieving scumbags your more likely to keep hold of it.:thumbsup:

Original Poster

I plan to keep it for more than a year or two. :thumbsup:
    But yeah, thanks for that, will take a look at it.

The Stone River has a better spec than the Pagan, but I couldn't find it for less than £270.

The guy in the shop said the Pinnacle Peak was a better built bike than the Claud Butler, the only difference is that the Stone River has 100mm travel on the front forks and manual lock out whilst the Pinnacle has 80mm travel and no lockout, the remaining specs are very very similar. The Pinnacle is British designed and built so has the equipment to deal with our environment.

But both the Pinnacle and the Stone River are great bikes, it's what ever you prefer.

Original Poster

OK thanks, the Stone River is avaliable ]here for £230+£13 del by the way.

I prefer the look of the Stone River with it's black frame and white forks, although don't think that I'm solely judging my decision on that.

Now I'm getting tempted by] this and ]this too...

I had a GT Outpost Trial a few years back............................OK it was actually 1997 and it lasted well until somebody else took a shine to it and liberated it from my garage. My wife still rides a GT Palomar bought at the same time. So GT bikes will last a long time.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Samsung Note 81119
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …5012494
      3. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941308
      4. 41% of 40-60 year olds do not go for a brisk walk of >10 minutes A MONTH!1013

See more discussions