Found 11th May 2009
my sons bike chain has snapped, what info do i need about the bike to get another?

wheel size? or do t hey differ by model?

thank you

1. Misc
  2. Bike
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Bike
10 Comments

They are a general length(depends on the type of bike(BMX, mountain bike)). You could just get the broken link removed though.

Original Poster

thesaint;5182937

They are a general length(depends on the type of bike(BMX, mountain … They are a general length(depends on the type of bike(BMX, mountain bike)). You could just get the broken link removed though.

thanks, you mean take the chain and get it repaired? i guess taking the chain to the shop would be easiest to assertain getting the correct one?

i was hoping to shop around online lmao

Banned

loupomm;5182971

thanks, you mean take the chain and get it repaired? i guess taking the … thanks, you mean take the chain and get it repaired? i guess taking the chain to the shop would be easiest to assertain getting the correct one?i was hoping to shop around online lmao

just take it to any garage or bike shop they will do it, prob for free tbh

you will need to take the bike as the chain has to be re-linked and the chain has to be in place on the bike before the chain can be repaired... theres a tool out there somewhere that will allow you to do it yourself though, cant think for the life of me what its called though. good luck!

Original Poster

thank you guys i'll give it a go at my local garage, you mean car repair garage?

loupomm;5183018

thank you guys i'll give it a go at my local garage, you mean car … thank you guys i'll give it a go at my local garage, you mean car repair garage?

A bike shop would be best, because they would have the correct tool. It would take 10 minutes maximum.

You can get a split link put in, which means that you could get it fixed then replace it yourself at home. Depends on your locality as to the best thing to do.

Just take it to Halfords

The tool you need to do this is a chain tool.

The chain size depends on the type of bike as others have said, and also the amount of gears on the bike.

for example I have one bike requiring an 8 and one a 9 speed chain, which relates to the amount of gears on the back (just count them).

I have found that the best chains around for MTB's are SRAM. Take a look at them on [url]www.wiggle.co.uk[/url] or [url]www.chainreactioncycles.com[/url]

Both good sites, and both chains can be bought for under a tenner (at a guess).

I wouldn't take the bike to Halfords, as I have had too many bad experiences with their repair service. Take a good look round for a local bike shop!

if you bought the chain online, I bet you could take it to a local shop and they would probably fit it for no more than a fiver! It is not a difficult job if you have the right tools.

I know you can get a new link put in the chain, but I have found that once one goes, others start to. I wouldn't trust the chain. I would just buy a new one seeing as they are cheap enough.

Doubt a car garage could help you TBH

Hope that helps

DAMNOME;5183063

Just take it to Halfords

Not if you want it fixed LOL......I have just had a few bad personal experiences with their bike repairs. I am sure they are not all bad.

have this chain on my bike:

chainreactioncycles.com/Mod…313

never given me any trouble

It's not worth repairing a chain once its snapped IMO. Unless it snagged on something, once they've snapped it usually indicates that they've had it.

Follow thearbiter65's link for the chain and add one of these: ]Powerlink which makes it a doddle to link back together.

Fitting a chain is easy: ]try here or ]here or even ]here

You can shorten the new chain to the right length with a hammer and nail, but one of these makes it much easier: ]rivet extractor

The powerlink and tool will probably cost you less than the cost of getting it done by somebody.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. good place to buy stocks33
    2. Typical cost of boiler installation711
    3. Android TV box help?54
    4. Help! In need of a PS4 Headset36

See more discussions