Groups

Bike Frames and sizes - Anyone know if ok for a child?

Been to toys r us and halfords and decided that my 6 year old needs a 18" bike (the guy in halfords told us this). Seen this one in amazon but a bit confused
    Emmelle Vortex 18-speed Full-Suspension Cycle 18" Frame

amazon.co.uk/Emm…8-1

This looks a lot bigger than the childrens bikes we saw, my question is :- is 18" mean the frame size and does it matter if some bikes have bigger wheels? (eg: a bmx 18" and a mountain bike 18" would they still be ok for a 6 yr old) thanks

11 Comments

The wheels :thumbsup:

I think it's a bit big for a 6yr old (my daughter is six) but would suggest you Halfords to try for sizes. We did, and then bought from internet.

Original Poster

thanks alot think will look about for some other options! will get searching the net - the amazon one is way too big. rep left

kyalion;3307234

would suggest you Halfords to try for sizes. We did, and then bought from … would suggest you Halfords to try for sizes. We did, and then bought from internet.

nice

The recommended size for a 6 year old is very confusing

12" Wheel - 2/3 year old
    14" Wheel - 3/4 year old
    16" Wheel - 4/5/ 6 year old
    18" Wheel - 5/6/7 year old
    20" Wheel - 6/7/8 year old

I bought my 7 year old a 16" last year and it is still perfect for him. 18" is way to big in my opinion

Obviously the guides are useful, but they're pretty vague.

I used to work at a small independent bike shop and we'd sell 7 year olds 16" wheel or 20" wheel bikes, depending on their height (only toy shops and car spares retailers sell 18" wheeled bikes)

As well as every child being a different shape and size, every bike is. One 16" wheeled bike could be a significantly bigger size than another.

The only way to be sure is go try them; too small - they don't want to ride it, too big - they don't want to ride it

Original Poster

teambintip;3307356

Obviously the guides are useful, but they're pretty vague.I used to work … Obviously the guides are useful, but they're pretty vague.I used to work at a small independent bike shop and we'd sell 7 year olds 16" wheel or 20" wheel bikes, depending on their height (only toy shops and car spares retailers sell 18" wheeled bikes)As well as every child being a different shape and size, every bike is. One 16" wheeled bike could be a significantly bigger size than another.The only way to be sure is go try them; too small - they don't want to ride it, too big - they don't want to ride it

Thanks I have taken my son to Halfords and it was an 18" bike but he didnt like the colour (swampy green) and they only had this one. He has got a 14" bike from halfords and this is now too small. Wanted to buy him one as a surprise so didnt really want to take him along - but as you suggest this might be the only way to get the correct size

Unfortunately it really is the only way to be sure.

Is he still using stabilisers btw?

Original Poster

No he dont need em

So definitely try him out on a couple in that case.

In my experience, if they can ride an 18", they're just about big enough to manage a 20" (wheeled bike)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3361206
      2. What is there free to do in your town?1423
      3. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…78
      4. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…2044

See more discussions